Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 7

Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 06:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:19) correct 29% (01:59) wrong based on 526 sessions
When the products of several competing suppliers are perceived by consumers to be essentially the same,
classical economics predicts that price competition will reduce prices to the same minimal levels and all
suppliers’ profits to the same minimal levels. Therefore, if classical economics is true, and given suppliers’
desire to make as much profit as possible, it should be expected that .
(A) in a crowded market widely differing prices will be charged for products that are essentially the same as
each other
(B) as a market becomes less crowded as suppliers leave, the profits of the remaining suppliers will tend to
decrease
(C) each supplier in a crowded market will try to convince consumers that its product differs significantly from
its competitors’ products.
(D) when consumers are unable to distinguish the products in a crowded market, consumers will judge that
the higher-priced products are of higher quality
(E) suppliers in crowded markets will have more incentive to reduce prices and thus increase sales than to
introduce innovations that would distinguish their product from their competitors’ products
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Last edited by mojorising800 on 20 Jan 2010, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: OG CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 08:37
IMO C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: OG CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 08:39
is it E?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: OG CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 09:23
Its C , its the only way the supplier can make profits
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: OG CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 15:01
This post received
KUDOS
Its C..... when classic economic fails...... home grown marketing rules! ;) :good

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: OG CR [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 16:30
I go for C
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: OG CR [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 15:37
C it is.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: OG CR [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 23:44
Don't you think that this sentence is flowed from SC view?

if classical economics is true, and given suppliers’ desire to make as much profit as possible, it SHOULD be expected that ...

i think Manhattan says that we have to avoid use SHOULD anywhere in IF sentences.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 06:08
my answer is C
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 84

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 16:20
mojorising800 wrote:
When the products of several competing suppliers are perceived by consumers to be essentially the same,
classical economics predicts that price competition will reduce prices to the same minimal levels and all
suppliers’ profits to the same minimal levels. Therefore, if classical economics is true, and given suppliers’
desire to make as much profit as possible, it should be expected that .
(A) in a crowded market widely differing prices will be charged for products that are essentially the same as
each other
(B) as a market becomes less crowded as suppliers leave, the profits of the remaining suppliers will tend to
decrease
(C) each supplier in a crowded market will try to convince consumers that its product differs significantly from
its competitors’ products.
(D) when consumers are unable to distinguish the products in a crowded market, consumers will judge that
the higher-priced products are of higher quality
(E) suppliers in crowded markets will have more incentive to reduce prices and thus increase sales than to
introduce innovations that would distinguish their product from their competitors’ products

Good one;
Reading the passage ; discussion about the classic theory and product cost. When you carefully read the passage you will find the that the customers are perceiving the products to be the same; which gives you a hint of what the correct option might based on. Then while scrolling through the options C, D, E seems to be the answers. But wait, E discuss about innovation; D discusses about the product quality both of which are out of scope. Remaining is C, But wait, as A also seems correct which states about the different price tags at lower levels ? But if you remember the first point that the consumer perceived the products same. So what going to make them convinced to buy something which is perceived as same. Yes if they are convinced that the product they are purchasing is different. Hence and-C

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 01:44
“…….When the products of several competing suppliers are perceived by consumers to be essentially the same”, when customers are already perceived that all the products are same, then in C answer choice how come customers will be convinced that that product differs from other product slightly.

I am not very much convinced from C answer choice, could someone please explain this and also why A is wrong?
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 09:34
FACT- When the products of several competing suppliers are perceived by consumers to be essentially the same,classical economics predicts that price competition will reduce prices to the same minimal levels and all suppliers’ profits to the same minimal levels.
CONCLUSION- if classical economics is true, and given suppliers’ desire to make as much profit as possible, it should be expected that----THEY WOULD NOT LIKE TO BE BRANDED AND WOULD THEREFORE TRY TO POSE DIFFERENTLY.........

(C) each supplier in a crowded market will try to convince consumers that its product differs significantly from its competitors’ products. CORRECT....
Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 18

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 09:49
1904praveen wrote:
“…….When the products of several competing suppliers are perceived by consumers to be essentially the same”, when customers are already perceived that all the products are same, then in C answer choice how come customers will be convinced that that product differs from other product slightly.

I am not very much convinced from C answer choice, could someone please explain this and also why A is wrong?

Hi 1904praveen

I would like to compare choices C and A below and I hope it would answer your questions.

each otherEven though widely differing prices are initially charged for products that are essentially same as each other, according to classical economics prediction, due to competition, prices will be later reduced and profits will be lowered to minimal levels.
its competitors’ products.Now if the suppliers are able to convince the consumers enough that their product is significantly different in the market, then the competition may not force them to lower their prices but rather allow them to maximize the profits.

Do you agree with me?

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 02:58
cssk wrote:
1904praveen wrote:

Hi 1904praveen

I would like to compare choices C and A below and I hope it would answer your questions.

each otherEven though widely differing prices are initially charged for products that are essentially same as each other, according to classical economics prediction, due to competition, prices will be later reduced and profits will be lowered to minimal levels.
its competitors’ products.Now if the suppliers are able to convince the consumers enough that their product is significantly different in the market, then the competition may not force them to lower their prices but rather allow them to maximize the profits.

Do you agree with me?

Hi cssk,

I hope your explanation helped me. Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
OG 13 CR #38 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 12:48

suppliers' profits to the same minimal levels. Therefore, if classical economics is true, and given
suppliers' desire to make as much profit as possible, it should be expected that
(A) in a crowded market widely differing prices will be charged for products that are essentially the same as each other
(B) as a market becomes less crowded as suppliers leave, the profits of the remaining suppliers will tend to decrease
(C) each supplier in a crowded market will try to convince consumers that its product differs significantly from its competitors' products.
(D) when consumers are unable to distinguish the products in a crowded market, consumers will judge that the higher-priced products are of higher quality
(E) suppliers in crowded markets will have more incentive to reduce prices and thus increase sales than to introduce innovations that would distinguish their product from their competitors

Hello!

I was able to pre think and arrived at choice C as the answer. "If supplier wants to make profit, It should be expected that ___ (supplier should take some action) and since consumers think of all products as same the action would be to convince them about products unique features

can you tell me if (B) was reworded as:

as a market becomes less crowded as suppliers leave, the profits of the remaining suppliers will tend to increase

will this be correct inference?

Consider Kudos if post found to be helpful :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
GMAT prep 1 : 650 Q49 V30
MGMAT 1 : 600 Q44 V30

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: OG 13 CR #38 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 12:51
paranoidvik wrote:

suppliers' profits to the same minimal levels. Therefore, if classical economics is true, and given
suppliers' desire to make as much profit as possible, it should be expected that
(A) in a crowded market widely differing prices will be charged for products that are essentially the same as each other
(B) as a market becomes less crowded as suppliers leave, the profits of the remaining suppliers will tend to decrease
(C) each supplier in a crowded market will try to convince consumers that its product differs significantly from its competitors' products.
(D) when consumers are unable to distinguish the products in a crowded market, consumers will judge that the higher-priced products are of higher quality
(E) suppliers in crowded markets will have more incentive to reduce prices and thus increase sales than to introduce innovations that would distinguish their product from their competitors

Hello!

I was able to pre think and arrived at choice C as the answer. "If supplier wants to make profit, It should be expected that ___ (supplier should take some action) and since consumers think of all products as same the action would be to convince them about products unique features

as a market becomes less crowded as suppliers leave, the profits of the remaining suppliers will tend to increase

Also, why choice D is incorrect?

Consider Kudos if post found to be helpful :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
GMAT prep 1 : 650 Q49 V30
MGMAT 1 : 600 Q44 V30

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Reviews Badge
Re: OG 13 CR #38 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 13:00
See the last line of argument.. some action is expected from suppliers to maximize their profits , while Choice D Deals with perception of the products by consumers, which is insignificant here.

Even if consumers start to think that a product is of higher quality, it doesn't mean that it will help suppliers maximize its profits.

Hope that makes sense to you. :)

Regards
Dj.

paranoidvik wrote:
paranoidvik wrote:

Hello!

Also, why choice D is incorrect?
Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2603 [0], given: 695

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 05:06
Expert's post
Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below?   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2014, 05:06