Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Which of the following best completes the passage below?  [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 12:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

Although professional sports franchises are privately run, for-profit businesses, the expensive stadiums and arenas in which the sports are played are typically built with public funds. In defending these public expenditures for private benefit, city politicians typically point to studies showing the increased tax revenues that will result from the influx of tourist dollars produced by a sports franchise. However, ______

A) the projected tax revenues are usually inflated by wishful thinking, so most cities lose money when they build a stadium
B) many sports fans prefer to watch games on television rather than attend them in person, which reduces the revenues generated
C) not all fans who attend sports events in a particular stadium are tourists from outside the city or its immediate environs
D) because professional sports is a for-profit business, team owners are basically unconcerned about the tax revenues generated
E) other kinds of attractions, such as art museums and theatres, are also capable of attracting tourist dollars and increasing tax revenues

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 12:29
Clearly A, according to me. logical extention of the argument.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 21:57
I think it is (B). Since people are going to stay home, where's the tourist dollar going to come from ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 03:45
i think A is a bit misleading here...We need to talk about how tourist revenues will be reduced...Only choice C comes close...

any thoughts??

To Strive, To Seek and Not to Yield

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 04:31
Finally had a chance to look at this question in proper.

The word 'however' seems to ask us for something that will weaken the argument.

We're also told the city politicians point to studies showing increased tax revenues resulting from influx of tourist dollars produced by a sports fanchise. By this, I take it to mean some for-profit sport event played in a stadium built with public funds is attracting tourists to come to the country to witness the spectacle. This in turn generates revenue for the city. (Think Olympic Games!)

So what does the answer choice present us with?

A) the projected tax revenues are usually inflated by wishful thinking, so most cities lose money when they build a stadium

- even if tax revenues are inflated, there's nothing to suggest there that tourist dollars does not get bigger than the cost of building and maintaining a stadium.

B) many sports fans prefer to watch games on television rather than
attend them in person, which reduces the revenues generated

- Nothing about tourist either. These fans could be home fans. Nothing is said of visiting fans (tourists)

C) not all fans who attend sports events in a particular stadium are tourists from outside the city or its immediate environs

- Mentions that not all sport fans are tourist from outside the city. Now this is important. If not all sport fans are tourist from outside the city, then it's going to be difficult to justify the argument that tax revenus increase from influx of tourist dollars.

D) because professional sports is a for-profit business, team owners are basically unconcerned about the tax revenues generated

- Even if this is true, it doesn't push the argument down

E) other kinds of attractions, such as art museums and theatres, are also capable of attracting tourist dollars and increasing tax revenues

- Out of scope

I think it could be (C)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 08:26
OA is A. I don't like OE but here is my own:

1- the expensive stadiums and arenas in which the sports are played are typically built with public funds --> our tax money goes to build expensive stadiums and arenas
2- In defending these public expenditures for private benefit, city politicians typically point to studies showing the increased tax revenues that will result from the influx of tourist dollars produced by a sports franchise --> politicians say that our tax revenues will generate more money for the city and that money is good for the economy

However, --> We want to justify that despite the fact that our tax money is beneficial for the city's economy, the building of those expensive stadiums is still detrimental

A says exactly that. The collected revenues are wishful thinking and do not cover for the building of those stadiums

C is a contender but is wrong because it is not in line with what the author is arguing for. Even though most of the revenues do not come from tourists, it may still be good for the economy of the city.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 10:36
Agree with A.

I chose B, thinking that if noone goes to watch the game, then how's the revenue gonna come? But, now I think, that was an extreme assumption :x

C can be refuted by all means; outsider or not, money is gonna come through taxes.
  [#permalink] 20 Aug 2004, 10:36