Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below? As

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Which of the following best completes the passage below? As [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 04:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (01:40) correct 60% (01:39) wrong based on 5 sessions
Which of the following best completes the passage below?
As long as savings deposits are insured by the government, depositors will have no incentive to evaluate the financial strength of a savings bank. Yield alone will influence their choice of bank. To attract deposits, banks will be forced to offer the highest possible interest rates. And since paying higher rates inevitably strains the financial strength of a bank, ______

(A) the government will be forced o impose limitations on interest rates
(B) deposit insurance will ultimately lead to the financial weakening of many banks
(C) savers will be forced to choose between deposit insurance and higher interest rates
(D) deposits will tend to go to the banks with the greatest financial strength
(E) bank profits will tend to rise to ever-higher levels

I am afraid if such questions appear in my real GMAT i will never be able to achive my target :roll:
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 107 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: Banks [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
sjgmat wrote:
As long as savings deposits are insured by the government, depositors will have no incentive to evaluate the financial strength of a savings bank. Yield alone will influence their choice of bank. To attract deposits, banks will be forced to offer the highest possible interest rates. And since paying higher rates inevitably strains the financial strength of a bank, ______

(B) deposit insurance will ultimately lead to the financial weakening of many banks
(C) savers will be forced to choose between deposit insurance and higher interest rates

I am afraid if such questions appear in my real GMAT i will never be able to achive my target :roll:

Premise: Government insurance protects bank customers from banks' financial weakness, allowing customers to choose banks only based on interest rate.
Premise/Conclusion: Banks compete solely for customers based on interest rate, so banks are forced to raise interest rates.
Premise: As interest rates rise, the financial soundness of a bank falls.

Conclusion: (B) Deposit insurance will ultimately lead to the financial weakening of many banks

A: Stimulus doesn't mention any limitations on the governments' part or any desire to insure that banks are financially strong
C: Stimulus doesn't mention anything about deposit insurance for bank customers being available
D: Stimulus says the opposite -- that financial strength is not a criterion for customers choosing a savings bank
E: Stimulus says rising interest rates will weaken the financial stability of banks, not strengthen
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Banks [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 05:13
I think, B is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Banks [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 05:23
yes OA is B

I was unable to understand why B is ans.
Thanks for your explanation.It is clear now :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: Banks [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 20:28
clearly B

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Banks [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 20:41
sjgmat wrote:

(B) deposit insurance will ultimately lead to the financial weakening of many banks -> IMO B

Good Question
Premise : As long as savings deposits are insured by the government, depositors will have no incentive to evaluate the financial strength of a savings bank . Yield alone will influence their choice of bank. To attract deposits, banks will be forced to offer the highest possible interest rates
this shows banks are under strain and are forced

evidence : And since paying higher rates inevitably strains the financial strength of a bank

after reading the argument we can say BANKS are under STRAIN due to high interset rates due to deposit insurance

now conclution ?
Only choiuce favouring this reasoning is B .All others are vague and far away

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Banks [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2008, 00:29
B looks like the best option.

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

Re: CR: Banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 17:38
zoinnk wrote:
sjgmat wrote:

Premise: Government insurance protects bank customers from banks' financial weakness, allowing customers to choose banks only based on interest rate.
Premise/Conclusion: Banks compete solely for customers based on interest rate, so banks are forced to raise interest rates.
Premise: As interest rates rise, the financial soundness of a bank falls.

Conclusion: (B) Deposit insurance will ultimately lead to the financial weakening of many banks

A: Stimulus doesn't mention any limitations on the governments' part or any desire to insure that banks are financially strong
C: Stimulus doesn't mention anything about deposit insurance for bank customers being available
D: Stimulus says the opposite -- that financial strength is not a criterion for customers choosing a savings bank
E: Stimulus says rising interest rates will weaken the financial stability of banks, not strengthen

Doesn't this part mention deposit insurance:
As long as savings deposits are insured by the government
Re: CR: Banks   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2011, 17:38