Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below? At

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 4

Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 14:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

71% (02:11) correct 29% (01:43) wrong based on 23 sessions
Which of the following best completes the passage below?
At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to influence crowd movements. Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants. Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper. Behind this surface divergence in immediate purpose there is the unified underlying goal of______

A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park
(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the park
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurants
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible

Please help in understanding option (D) and (E) . Thanks in advance
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 15:15
sacmanitin wrote:
At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to influence crowd movements. Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants. Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper. Behind this surface divergence in immediate purpose there is the unified underlying goal of______

A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park
(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the park
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurants
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible

My guess is E

D is irrelevant because we are told about people in the park and not people who may come to the park.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 4

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 23:17
yup ,lagomez that makes perfect sense ,what do you think about option B ,can you share your thoughts on that as well.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 04:23
sacmanitin wrote:

(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the parkthis is not a suitable purpose of the amusement parks since the stimulus concentrates on the timings of the restaurants.They want people to come to the live show and then move to the the restaurants.
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possiblemakes perfect sense.Correct acc to me

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

6 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 745 [6] , given: 11

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Looks like you're on the right track with this, but I thought I'd weigh in to go through all the answer choices. Basically, the key is not to let your own understanding of amusement parks get in the way of what the passage focuses on.

Premises: Live shows used to influence crowd movements. First for lunch, then for supper.

Problem: Even though this makes total sense, it's never mentioned in the passage. We don't discuss lines.

Problem: Who would do that? Again, we never discuss money.

Problem: We never discuss traffic.

Problem: This is the trap answer, because at least it involves restaurants. But the live shows are not created to bring people to the theme park IN ORDER to eat at the restaurants. As we were told, the live shows are used to affect crowd movements.

Answer: Now we're on track. The goal is to keep the RIGHT NUMBER of people at the restaurants at certain times.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 35

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 14:35
This post received
KUDOS
"E" from me too. states why the park uses "live shows" - with a goal to utilize the resturants as much as possible.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 4

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 11:02
thank you friends for the precise reasoning .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 19:29
I completely let me own understanding :( of amusement parks get in the way of what the passage focuses on and hence got the answer wrong.
Good explanation TommyWallach.

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 23:20
surface divergence is the key word giving hints for E

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 07:10
i don't think there was any such keyword for me , but the reasoning is straight forward.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: large amusement parks [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 03:23
Agree with E.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 22:03
sacmanitin wrote:

A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd out of scope and exaggerated answer. Nothing in the stimulus mentions abt rides
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park stimulus never talks abt reveneue
(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the parkout of scope as traffic jam is not mentioned in stimulus
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurantsif this was the case then lunchtime performance should not be there as they are limiting the crowd at restaurants
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possibleIMO correct answer : combining last two sentences of stimulus, parks organize performance in afternoon to relieve pressure on restaurants while performances in evening are intended to make people stay for supper. Thus motivation here seems to use restaurant to optimum capacity during the day

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 51

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2012, 07:03
E is right.But i felt for the trap and marked D

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 11:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? At   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 11:16