Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below? At

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 14:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:39) correct 50% (00:50) wrong based on 16 sessions
Which of the following best completes the passage below?
At large amusement parks, live shows are used very deliberately to influence crowd movements. Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants. Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper. Behind this surface divergence in immediate purpose there is the unified underlying goal of______
(A) keeping the lines at the various rides short by drawing off part of the crowd
(B) enhancing revenue by attracting people who come only for the live shows and then leave the park
(C) avoiding as far as possible traffic jams caused by visitors entering or leaving the park
(D) encouraging as many people as possible to come to the park in order to eat at the restaurants
(E) utilizing the restaurants at optimal levels for as much of the day as possible

The ans of above passage is D.
But B is more suitable as its written that people are encouraged to have supper through evening live shows. Thus, if people stayed, more revenue would be added.
Please correct my reasoning if wrong.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: 1000 CR query: Complete the passage [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 21:13
D it is

stimulus says,

Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants. Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper

so put them together, "live shows encourage people to eat at the restaurants"

option B speaks about revenue which is not mentioned anywhere in the passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 20

Re: 1000 CR query: Complete the passage [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 05:51

ramana wrote:
D it is

stimulus says,

Lunchtime performances relieve the pressure on a park’s restaurants. Evening performances have a rather different purpose: to encourage visitors to stay for supper

i disagree .. option D is what we call 'Shell Game' in CR i.e. a trap

shows are not meant to bring people in and encourage them to eat at restaurants ... as stated in the premises, shows control the crowd movements

so E should be the correct answer.

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Manager
Manager

Re: 1000 CR query: Complete the passage [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 06:13
dimitri92 wrote:

ramana wrote:
D it is

stimulus says,

i disagree .. option D is what we call 'Shell Game' in CR i.e. a trap

shows are not meant to bring people in and encourage them to eat at restaurants ... as stated in the premises, shows control the crowd movements

so E should be the correct answer.

yeah, got it..dint give much time on E as i was carried away with D.

thanks
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 06:14
abhas:
amusement-parks-79663.html#p598777 - more discussions on this ques.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: 1000 CR query: Complete the passage [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 08:27
thanks for all your inputs, as revenue is not mentioned in the premise, it is out of scope and thus B cannot be the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: 1000 CR query: Complete the passage [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 10:38
I'm with E.

option D basically states what we already know from the stimuli.
'Shell Game' as rightly pointed out.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 06:28
I don't understand the difference b/w D and E . On what ground E can be eliminated that does not apply to D??
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3674 [0], given: 185

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 08:06
Expert's post
gchawla123 wrote:
I don't understand the difference b/w D and E . On what ground E can be eliminated that does not apply to D??

Option E should be the answer.

We are talking about two show times - one in the evening and one in the lunchtime

Lunchtime shows relieve the pressure on restaurants - This means that restaurants are already quite full during this time and performances take away some of the customers away from restaurants.

Evening performances does the opposite - they increase the customers for the restaurants by making people stay for supper.

So, the unifying theme is rationalizing the number of customers at the restaurants. This is said in other words in Option E.

Option D is incorrect since this cannot be unifying theme because it ignores the purpose of lunchtime performances.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by egmat on 08 May 2013, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? At [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 11:57
egmat wrote:
gchawla123 wrote:

Option E should be the answer.

We are talking about two show times - one in the evening and one in the lunchtime

Lunchtime shows relieve the pressure on restaurants - This means that restaurants are already quite full during this time and performances take away some of the customers away from restaurants.

Evening performances does the opposite - they increase the customers for the restaurants by making people stay for supper.

So, the unifying theme is rationalizing the number of customers at the restaurants. This is said in other words in Option E.

Option D is incorrect since this cannot be unifying theme because it ignores the purpose of lunchtime performances.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Thank you very much Chiranjeev!!
Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? At   [#permalink] 08 May 2013, 11:57