Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below? The

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Which of the following best completes the passage below? The [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 09:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:55) correct 20% (01:29) wrong based on 61 sessions
Which of the following best completes the passage below?
The unemployment rate in the United States fell from 7.5 percent in 1981 to 6.9 percent in 1986. It cannot, however, be properly concluded from these statistics that the number of unemployed in 1986 was lower than it had been in 1981 because______
(A) help-wanted advertisements increased between 1981 and 1986
(B) many of the high-paying industrial jobs available in 1981 were replaced by low-wage service jobs in 1986, resulting in displacements of hundreds of thousands of workers
(C) in some midwestern industrial states, the unemployment rate was much higher in 1986 than it had been in 1981
(D) the total available work force, including those with and without employment, increased between 1981 and 1986
(E) the average time that employees stay in any one job dropped during the period 1981 to 1986
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: complete the passage [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 09:26
this is numbers and percentages problem..

increase or decrease in percentage need not proportionately increase or decrease the numbers which is proved by the option d

which states that number of both employed and unemployed have increased i.e ultimately the no. of unemployed has increased

the percentages is entirely a different issue here

just one more month for exam...

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? The [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 09:35
Mohan,

Why is option C not correct? Also can u explain increase or decrease in percentage doesn't imply to increase or decrease in numbers through a small example? Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? The [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
sri30kanth wrote:
Mohan,

Why is option C not correct? Also can u explain increase or decrease in percentage doesn't imply to increase or decrease in numbers through a small example? Thanks

This is my first so spare me if I'm running around trees.
suppose out of 1000 people living in 1981, 100 were eligible for employment but only 80 were actually employed so employement rate would be calculated with respect to 100 people meaning 20% were unemployed.
Now in 1986 as the population increased to say 2000, 200 were eligible out of which only 100 were actually employed so employment rate would be calculated with respect to 200 people meaning 50% were unemployed !
Hope this helps ! Not quite sure why it can't be C :( Sorry
Re: Which of the following best completes the passage below? The   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 07:26