Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage below? The

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Which of the following best completes the passage below? The [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 06:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:02) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 24 sessions
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake destroyed over half the city and changed the development of the California economy, but much of the damage was actually caused by fire. It has been estimated that as much as 90% of the total destruction was a result of fire damage rather than movement of the earth. This figure is likely exaggerated, however, because the nearly universal practice of insuring San Francisco properties against fire but not earthquake damage all but guaranteed that .

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - v04#5

most damage to the city was blamed on fire
the city would eventually be rebuilt
insurance companies were forced to offer earthquake coverage
residents subsequently moved to other cities where earthquake coverage was available
buildings not damaged by fire were never repaired

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA is A...pls somebdy care to explain...the meaning of the last sentence of the passage and the reason for A..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 12:38
A looks correct

This figure is likely exaggerated, however, because the nearly universal practice of insuring San Francisco properties against fire but not earthquake damage all but guaranteed that .most damage to the city was blamed on fire

This line tries to say that most damage was blamed on fire so, buildings can claim insurance money
If the building clamis that the damage is because of Earth quake then there will be no money.

Well, i am not good in explaining.let me know if you are still confused , i will try to provide better explaination

Always tag your question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 03:13
ichha148 wrote:
A looks correct

This figure is likely exaggerated, however, because the nearly universal practice of insuring San Francisco properties against fire but not earthquake damage all but guaranteed that .most damage to the city was blamed on fire

This line tries to say that most damage was blamed on fire so, buildings can claim insurance money
If the building clamis that the damage is because of Earth quake then there will be no money.

Well, i am not good in explaining.let me know if you are still confused , i will try to provide better explaination

Yes the reasoning is correct .... I thought about it before going through the options but ....the A and the last sentence dsnt mean that .....Also i m least aware what does it mean...pls explain the sentecne language.and how does it explain
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 17:32
rohansherry wrote:
ichha148 wrote:
A looks correct

Yes the reasoning is correct .... I thought about it before going through the options but ....the A and the last sentence dsnt mean that .....Also i m least aware what does it mean...pls explain the sentecne language.and how does it explain

I did not understand this part - the A and the last sentence dsnt mean that ? Please elaborate

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 17:56
ichha148 wrote:
rohansherry wrote:
ichha148 wrote:
A looks correct

I did not understand this part - the A and the last sentence dsnt mean that ? Please elaborate

I guess this means that option A and E are similar in meaning. I also agree with this. Both seem to convey the same message.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 22:37

pls explain the above line...i have included the ans in it.. To me it dsnt make sense
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 06:08
rohansherry wrote:

pls explain the above line...i have included the ans in it.. To me it dsnt make sense

Can u explain ...the meaning of "however" here...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 09:53
ruplun wrote:
rohansherry wrote:

Can u explain ...the meaning of "however" here...

Estimation: as much as 90% of the total destruction was a result of fire damage rather than movement of the earth.

The fig. above is questionable and that contrast is introduced by 'However'. This is because protection against fire is provided by insurance but same is not true for earthquake.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 22:17
rohansherry wrote:

It has been estimated that as much as 90% of the total destruction was a result of fire damage rather than movement of the earth. However, this figure is likely to be an exaggerated one.

The role of 'however' is to indicate a contrast or contradictory opinion.

In those times, San Francisco properties had insurance against fire damage, but none against earthquake damage. So what would the building owners do? To claim insurance, it is likely that they would have claimed that the buildings were damaged by fire, rather than by the earthquake. Thus, some of the buildings would have been damaged by the earthquake, but would have been categorized under fire damage. This is why the figure of 90% is likely to have been an exaggerated estimate.
Hope this is clear.

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Consultant
CrackVerbal

If you find my posts useful, do hit the 'Kudos' button. :)

Start working on your MBA applications - Round 1 deadlines are coming up soon!
http://www.crackverbal.com/mba-application-services/#

CrackVerbal's GMAT Classes now in Chennai, Mumbai & Delhi too!
http://www.crackverbal.com/GMAT-Digital.htm#

Re: San Francisco Earthquake destroyed   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2013, 22:17