Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following best completes the passage? States

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Which of the following best completes the passage? States [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 05:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 6 sessions
Which of the following best completes the passage?

States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector. Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and ___________.

(A) begin manufacturing materials and finished renewable energy products.
(B) take advantage of tax rebates offered for green businesses.
(C) regain jobs lost due to a slowdown in the manufacturing industry.
(D) continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.
(E) start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the following [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 09:54
elmagnifico wrote:

States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector. Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and .

* begin manufacturing materials and finished renewable energy products.
* take advantage of tax rebates offered for green businesses.
* regain jobs lost due to a slowdown in the manufacturing industry.
* continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.
* start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.

A wins the game. Final goal is to regain employment opportunities. But existing infrastructure & tpt systems, directly can't help in regaining the jobs. They can be used to manufacture new energy products & hence increase employment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the following [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 10:17
D for me.
D connects to crucial ponits of the question, losses in manufacturing jobs and expanding into the “green energy” sector.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the following [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 11:43
jatinrai wrote:
elmagnifico wrote:

States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector. Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and .

* begin manufacturing materials and finished renewable energy products.
* take advantage of tax rebates offered for green businesses.
* regain jobs lost due to a slowdown in the manufacturing industry.
* continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.
* start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.

A wins the game. Final goal is to regain employment opportunities. But existing infrastructure & tpt systems, directly can't help in regaining the jobs. They can be used to manufacture new energy products & hence increase employment.

Agree. It's A. The infrastructure and systems are in a position to recover the employment by expanding into the new, green energy sector. Thus, the existing infrastructure and systems now begin adapted manufacturing works.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the following [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 12:56
rishi2377 wrote:
D for me.
D connects to crucial ponits of the question, losses in manufacturing jobs and expanding into the “green energy” sector.

Your logic is right but the final choice is flawed. Expanding means they have to start afresh. They can't continue.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the following [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 14:54
jatinrai wrote:
rishi2377 wrote:
D for me.

Your logic is right but the final choice is flawed. Expanding means they have to start afresh. They can't continue.

agree silly mistake... :beat
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

complete the passage [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 20:40

States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector. Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and --------.

a) begin manufacturing materials and finished renewable energy products.
b) take advantage of tax rebates offered for green businesses.
c) regain jobs lost due to a slowdown in the manufacturing industry.
d) continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.
e) start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.

Please try to provide explanations..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: complete the passage [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 19:13
>> Renewable energy - Out of Scope
>>Tax rebates ??? - Out of Scope
--CORRECT. This relates to the issue raised in the begining of the passage and here we can handle it.
d) continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.
>>Wind Turbine - Out of Scope
e) start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.
>>Research - Out of Scope
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: complete the passage [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 19:14
>> Renewable energy - Out of Scope
>>Tax rebates ??? - Out of Scope
--CORRECT. This relates to the issue raised in the begining of the passage and here we can handle it.
>>Wind Turbine - Out of Scope
>>Research - Out of Scope

hence "C"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: complete the passage [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 17:08
Finally its between A and C for me and I picked A

A is not irrelevant. C also directly jumps to the conclusion without giving any reason for it whatsoever.

A. begin manufacturing materials and finished renewable energy products.

Renewable energy and green energy are the related things isnt it?
Jobs were lost in manufacturing so if you start manufacturing materials related to renewable energy you get the jobs back. Existing infrastructure facilitates it.

Whats the correct answers anyways!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: complete the passage [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 08:54
my ans is also c
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 12

Re: complete the passage [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 09:20
The passage excerpt "hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities " stresses on the jobs that were lost, so the appropriate option to finish the passage is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 44

Re: complete the passage [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 23:35
even i'll go with C !

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 40

V06#08 - Green energy sector [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 23:25

States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector. Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and _______________.

A) begin manufacturing materials and finished renewable energy products.
B) take advantage of tax rebates offered for green businesses.
C) regain jobs lost due to a slowdown in the manufacturing industry.
D) continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.
E) start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.

OA is A and OE is:
Situation: Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put states that have lost manufacturing jobs in a strong position to recover.

Reasoning: Which of the following best completes the sentence? The correct answer to this question depends on filling in the blank with an idea that continues the one introduced in the first half of the passage. The first half of the passage is concerned with a way to recover employment opportunities. The infrastructure and transportation in these states mean that they are already prepared to begin manufacturing.

A) This option correctly completes the sentence by continuing an idea from the first half of the passage: states that have lost manufacturing jobs are in the best position to begin manufacturing materials in the green energy sector.
B) Tax rebates are not discussed in the passage.
C) This option is merely a paraphrase of the first sentence and does not add new information to the passage.
D) The word continue is incorrect; according to the passage, green energy manufacturing would be a new industry for the states.
E) The words adapt quickly just before the blank make it clear that the states are expected to begin using their infrastructure and transportation immediately, not researching.

My quetion is:
In the first part of the stimulus, we are given job losses. So, the continuation should be as per C. A says that begin manufacturing, but it is not necessary that there will be regain in the job losses equivalent or more than the previous.

Please explain.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: V06#08 - Green energy sector [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 13:06
I think I understand why A because I picked D (which is only one word different from A)...I didnt pay attention to the word "continue in D...my bad

My logic was:

The argument says:

States which are hit by job losses are in strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into green energy sector.

So, states are in strong position to expand employment opportunities by (existing infrastructure and transportation which they already have) and (beginning to manufacture materials and finished renewable energy products).

If we closely read the argument, option (C) does not make sense.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

v06 GMAT Club Test Q#8 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 04:47

States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector. Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and ______________________________________.

A begin manufacturing materials and finished renewable energy products.
B take advantage of tax rebates offered for green businesses.
C regain jobs lost due to a slowdown in the manufacturing industry.
D continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.
E start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.

Any input guys. I am not convinced with the OE.

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: v06 GMAT Club Test Q#8 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 07:10
RenukaD wrote:

States hit hardest by losses in manufacturing jobs are in a strong position to recover employment opportunities by expanding into the “green energy” sector. Existing infrastructure and transportation systems put these states in a position to adapt quickly and ______________________________________.

D continue manufacturing wind turbines and other products popular in the green energy sector.
E start an aggressive research process to determine the viability of green energy in the area.

I agree with A. What do you think is the answer?
Manager
Manager

Re: v06 GMAT Club Test Q#8 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 07:27
lagomez wrote:
RenukaD wrote:

Thanks lagomez.

I marked C. Because as per me in case if reader is not from science background or does not know relation between green energy and renewable energy then how can we mark A?.What is ur view on this?

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: v06 GMAT Club Test Q#8 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 07:37
RenukaD wrote:
lagomez wrote:
RenukaD wrote:

Thanks lagomez.

I marked C. Because as per me in case if reader is not from science background or does not know relation between green energy and renewable energy then how can we mark A?.What is ur view on this?

I think the key here is to not concentrate so much on the terminology but the flow of events.

State A lost a lot of manufacturing jobs. They can regain jobs by going into something else. They are at an advantage because of the existing infrastructure therefore.....

a. begin manufacturing
b. take advantage of tax rebates - this kind of goes to another area so not this one
c. regain jobs. Yes, that would be the end result but the answer is asking for something in between "they have an advantage and regaining jobs". I think A fits in the middle. They have an advantage, they can begin manufacturing, therefore they can regain jobs.

That's my take.
Manager
Manager

Re: v06 GMAT Club Test Q#8 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 09:07
lagomez wrote:

Thanks lagomez.

I think the key here is to not concentrate so much on the terminology but the flow of events.

State A lost a lot of manufacturing jobs. They can regain jobs by going into something else. They are at an advantage because of the existing infrastructure therefore.....

a. begin manufacturing
b. take advantage of tax rebates - this kind of goes to another area so not this one
c. regain jobs. Yes, that would be the end result but the answer is asking for something in between "they have an advantage and regaining jobs". I think A fits in the middle. They have an advantage, they can begin manufacturing, therefore they can regain jobs.

That's my take.[/quote]

Thanks Lagomez, yes you are correct. Actually in C i missed to read "job lost due to slowdown " , which is out of scope. :(

Re: v06 GMAT Club Test Q#8   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2010, 09:07