Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following CANNOT be the median of the four

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Which of the following CANNOT be the median of the four [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 08:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:26) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 9 sessions
Which of the following CANNOT be the median of the four positive integers a, b, c, and d, where a < b < c < d ?

(A) (a+c)/2
(B) (b+c)/2
(C) (a+d)/2
(D) (b+d)/2
(E) (c+d)/2
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 248

Kudos [?]: 635 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: median of 4 numbers [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 13:57
dreambeliever wrote:
positive integers a, b, c, and d, where a < b < c < d ?
(A) (a+c)/2
(B) (b+c)/2
(C) (a+d)/2
(D) (b+d)/2
(E) (c+d)/2

As written, there's something wrong with the question. Are some of the inequality signs supposed to be 'greater than or equal to' signs?

Here we know the median is the average of the two 'middle numbers', so the median is (b+c)/2. If a < b, then (a+c)/2 is less than (b+c)/2, so (a+c)/2 cannot be the median. Similarly, if c < d, then (b+c)/2 is less than (b+d)/2, so (b+d)/2 cannot be the median. Finally (c+d)/2 is certainly greater than the median as well. So as written there are three correct answers, A, D and E.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '15, Duke '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 7

Re: median of 4 numbers [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 14:30
IanStewart wrote:
dreambeliever wrote:
positive integers a, b, c, and d, where a < b < c < d ?
(A) (a+c)/2
(B) (b+c)/2
(C) (a+d)/2
(D) (b+d)/2
(E) (c+d)/2

As written, there's something wrong with the question. Are some of the inequality signs supposed to be 'greater than or equal to' signs?

Here we know the median is the average of the two 'middle numbers', so the median is (b+c)/2. If a < b, then (a+c)/2 is less than (b+c)/2, so (a+c)/2 cannot be the median. Similarly, if c < d, then (b+c)/2 is less than (b+d)/2, so (b+d)/2 cannot be the median. Finally (c+d)/2 is certainly greater than the median as well. So as written there are three correct answers, A, D and E.

Thanks for confirming, Ian. I thought there was something wrong with the question, too.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

Re: median of 4 numbers [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 22:00
Hi
OA is E

as given positive integers a, b, c, and d, where a < b < c < d ?

since all are positive integers arranged in increasing order. mean of these will be a no greater then b and less then c.
(A) (a+c)/2

This can be the median if resulting no is >b which is possible here
as this is less than c already

(B) (b+c)/2

This is also possible coz resulting no must be > b and <c here.
(C) (a+d)/2
This can be the median if resulting no is >b and <c which is possible here
(D) (b+d)/2
This is also possible here as resulting no is >b and may be <c which is possible here

(E) (c+d)/2

This can never be median coz this no is always greater then c which violates the 2 condition defined here for median
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 248

Kudos [?]: 635 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: median of 4 numbers [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 13:23
sandeeepsharma wrote:
Hi
OA is E

since all are positive integers arranged in increasing order. mean of these will be a no greater then b and less then c.
(A) (a+c)/2

This can be the median if resulting no is >b which is possible here as this is less than c already

If a < b < c < d, then (a + c)/2 cannot possibly be the median of a, b, c and d. The median of those four numbers is the average of the two middle numbers, so is equal to (b+c)/2. If a < b, then (a+c)/2 is strictly less than (b+c)/2; they cannot be equal.

I googled this question, and the OA is E, but the original question is different from the one in the post above. The actual question says that a < b < c < d, in which case (c+d)/2 must be greater than the median, while all the other choices could be equal to the median.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

Re: median of 4 numbers [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 20:50
thanks for explanation.

1<2<6<7
here a+c/2 creates a no (1+6)/2 =3.5
which is greater then b so condition is true.

IanStewart wrote:
sandeeepsharma wrote:
Hi
OA is E

(A) (a+c)/2

This can be the median if resulting no is >b which is possible here as this is less than c already

Quote:
If a < b < c < d, then (a + c)/2 cannot possibly be the median of a, b, c and d. The median of those four numbers is the average of the two middle numbers, so is equal to (b+c)/2. If a < b, then (a+c)/2 is strictly less than (b+c)/2; they cannot be equal.

I googled this question, and the OA is E, but the original question is different from the one in the post above. The actual question says that a < b < c < d, in which case (c+d)/2 must be greater than the median, while all the other choices could be equal to the median.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests
Re: Which of the following CANNOT be the median of the four [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 04:22
Interesting, I just got this question on a Jeff Sackman problem set that I paid $20 for.

I was looking at his explanation and thought that it HAD to be wrong, for the same reasoning as per above. His question was written exactly as above. I have sent an email but not sure if he will reply.

We will see....
Re: Which of the following CANNOT be the median of the four   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2014, 04:22