Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following coordinates are on the line segment

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Which of the following coordinates are on the line segment [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2008, 10:43
Which of the following coordinates are on the line segment connecting (5,6) and (21,18)?

A) (9,9)

B) (12,12)

C) (13,13)

D) (12,13)

E) (16,15)


pls advice the formulae used here..
thanx
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2008, 11:12
bindrakaran001 wrote:
Which of the following coordinates are on the line segment connecting (5,6) and (21,18)?

A) (9,9)
B) (12,12)
C) (13,13)
D) (12,13)
E) (16,15)

pls advice the formulae used here..
thanx


use slope formula = (21 - 6)/(21-5) = 3/4
try to get the same slope = (9-6)/(9-5) = 3/4

so A.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: coordinate [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2008, 11:35
GMAT TIGER wrote:
bindrakaran001 wrote:
Which of the following coordinates are on the line segment connecting (5,6) and (21,18)?

A) (9,9)
B) (12,12)
C) (13,13)
D) (12,13)
E) (16,15)

pls advice the formulae used here..
thanx


use slope formula = (21 - 6)/(21-5) = 3/4
try to get the same slope = (9-6)/(9-5) = 3/4

so A.


Note: It might happen sometime that the slope might be same for a point but point might not fall on the line segment. For a point (x, y) to be on line segment formed by (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), apart from having same slope, the point also needs to have x between x1 and x2 and y between y1 and y2.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1580
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: coordinate [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2008, 04:32
mbajingle wrote:
Note: It might happen sometime that the slope might be same for a point but point might not fall on the line segment. For a point (x, y) to be on line segment formed by (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), apart from having same slope, the point also needs to have x between x1 and x2 and y between y1 and y2.


The question says "line segment connecting two points" and not "line segment between two points".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2008
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: coordinate [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2008, 12:07
scthakur wrote:
mbajingle wrote:
Note: It might happen sometime that the slope might be same for a point but point might not fall on the line segment. For a point (x, y) to be on line segment formed by (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), apart from having same slope, the point also needs to have x between x1 and x2 and y between y1 and y2.


The question says "line segment connecting two points" and not "line segment between two points".


The argument holds good even for "line segment connecting two points." Anyways I agree with GMAT TIGER's answer/explanation. Thought of putting forth a point that is extension of the topic under discussion.
Re: coordinate   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2008, 12:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
9 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the coordinate axis above, line segment AC is three times wastedyouth 5 09 Dec 2013, 10:08
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic In the coordinate system above, which of the following is Walkabout 9 27 Dec 2012, 06:38
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic In a rectangular coordinate system, which of the following pzazz12 3 20 Oct 2010, 01:55
Which of the following lines is parallel to line alimad 3 08 Jul 2006, 07:20
Which of the following coordinates are on the line segment marth750 2 05 Nov 2005, 14:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Which of the following coordinates are on the line segment

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.