Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618634 [47]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [38]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618634 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standa [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vyshak wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standard deviation?

(A) {-3, 1, 2}
(B) {-2, -1, 1, 2}
(C) {3, 5, 7}
(D) {-1, 2, 3, 4}
(E) {0, 2, 4}

Hi Bunuel,

Both A and D can be the answer for the above question.

Those two sets have different standard deviations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Re: Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standa [#permalink]
Kudos
A => sd =\sqrt{14/3}
B => sd =\sqrt{10/4}
C => sd =\sqrt{8/3}
D => sd =\sqrt{14/4}
E => sd =\sqrt{11/3}

So the biggest is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
Send PM
Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Let me try this one:

First, we find the mean for every set. After you find the mean, look for distance between mean and outliers (numbers on boundary of distribution - MAX |m-n|, where m is mean and n is any number in set). You can ignore choices B, C, and E based on that understanding. Remaining two choices have same distance = 3.

Next, we look at density of distribution in remaining two options. More numbers between mean and outlier, more denser the set become. More denser the set become, less deviation it provides. Based on that understanding, D should have lesser standard deviation between remaining two.

Answer - A.

Comments welcome. Its been ages since I last tried SD.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1762 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standa [#permalink]
IMHO 'A' should be the answer.

Lets look at average and Std deviation respectively in every choice

A) 0 / 5
B) 0/ 4
C) 3/4
D) 2/5
E) 2/4

Clearly 'A' has the greatest SD :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
Send PM
how did they calculate the sd for each option ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Kudos
SD is a measure to represent how much the datapoints of a dataset are dispersed from the mean position of that set. Mathematically SD is the sq root of the avg of the squares of the differences of each datapoint from the mean of that particular dataset..........hmmm.... that's complicated wording !!

Essentially , Here were are looking for a data set with larger range and lesser datapoints.
largest Range : A & D
now D has 4 observations & A has 3 . so n/4<n/3
Hence , Set A will have largest SD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hi Moderators chetan2u, Gladiator59, generis,

Any thumb rule method/ shortcut to do these standard deviation questions within 90 seconds?

I found the method by VeritasKarishma useful but again I don't know if it can be done within 90 seconds on a test day, & ofcourse I agree calculating mean and standard deviation for each of the options is going to be more time consuming...

I approached the problem in the following manner:

SD shows how much variation there is from the mean in a given set, in the problem here we need to find the set with the highest SD - meaning the set were the data points are the most widespread is the answer.

I have just calculated gaps or differences between consecutive elements of each set.

A) 4,1
B) 1,2,1
C) 2,2
D) 3,1,1
E) 2,2

As we see, choice A has the highest deviation between 2 consecutive elements, this is the answer. Moderators, Is this method okay?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
DarkHorse2019 wrote:
Hi Moderators chetan2u, Gladiator59, generis,

Any thumb rule method/ shortcut to do these standard deviation questions within 90 seconds?

I found the method by VeritasKarishma useful but again I don't know if it can be done within 90 seconds on a test day, & ofcourse I agree calculating mean and standard deviation for each of the options is going to be more time consuming...

I approached the problem in the following manner:

SD shows how much variation there is from the mean in a given set, in the problem here we need to find the set with the highest SD - meaning the set were the data points are the most widespread is the answer.

I have just calculated gaps or differences between consecutive elements of each set.

A) 4,1
B) 1,2,1
C) 2,2
D) 3,1,1
E) 2,2

As we see, choice A has the highest deviation between 2 consecutive elements, this is the answer. Moderators, Is this method okay?

Let's say set A = { 2, 5, 5, 5 }
Set B = { 0, 2, 4, 6 }

Your solution obviously fails here.

When you look as distance between two points, you forget to realize that that distance could be constant and could keep increasing indefinitely.
{ 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 ... inf }

What you need to and definitely need to do is find the span of the set, individual distance don't mean anything when looking for the span.

Now, if you think you could just add the distances, you'd be wrong there too, just try the question with that strategy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standard deviation?

(A) {-3, 1, 2}
(B) {-2, -1, 1, 2}
(C) {3, 5, 7}
(D) {-1, 2, 3, 4}
(E) {0, 2, 4}

For answer choice A, the mean = 0 and the deviations are 3, 1, 2
For answer choice B, the mean = 0 and the deviations are 2, 1, 1, 2
For answer choice C, the mean = 5 and the deviations are 2, 0, 2
For answer choice D, the mean = 2 and the deviations are 3, 0, 1, 2
For answer choice E, the mean = 2 and the deviations are 2, 0, 2

We don’t need to worry about the arithmetic means (they just help us calculate the deviation of each element from the mean); our focus should be on the deviations. The SD formula squares the individual deviations and then adds them, then the sum is divided by the number of elements and finally, we find the square root of the whole term. So if a deviation is greater, its square will be even greater and that will increase the SD.

If the deviation increases and the number of elements increases, too, then we cannot be sure what the final effect will be – an increased deviation increases the SD but an increase in the number of elements increases the denominator and hence, actually decreases the SD. The overall effect as to whether the SD increases or decreases will vary from case to case.

First, we should note that answers C and E have identical deviations and numbers of elements, hence, their SDs will be identical. This means the answer is certainly not C or E, since Problem Solving questions have a single correct answer.

Let’s move on to the other three options:

Comparing answer choices A and D, we see that they both have the same deviations, but D has more elements. This means its denominator will be greater, and therefore, the SD of answer D is smaller than the SD of answer A. This leaves us with options A and B:

Now notice that although two deviations of answers A and B are the same, answer choice A has a higher deviation of 3 but fewer elements than answer choice B. This means the SD of A will be higher than the SD of B, so the SD of A will be the highest. Hence, our answer must be A.

Hello "VeritasKarishma"
Can you please explain why the mean=0 for option A, highlighted above. I have read that if the no. set is odd then the middle most no. is mean. correct me if i am wrong.

TIA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 523
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) {-3, 1, 2}
(B) {-2, -1, 1, 2}
(C) {3, 5, 7}
(D) {-1, 2, 3, 4}
(E) {0, 2, 4}

For answer choice C, the mean = 5 and the deviations are 2, 0, 2
For answer choice E, the mean = 2 and the deviations are 2, 0, 2

We don’t need to worry about the arithmetic means (they just help us calculate the deviation of each element from the mean); our focus should be on the deviations. The SD formula squares the individual deviations and then adds them, then the sum is divided by the number of elements and finally, we find the square root of the whole term. So if a deviation is greater, its square will be even greater and that will increase the SD.

If the deviation increases and the number of elements increases, too, then we cannot be sure what the final effect will be – an increased deviation increases the SD but an increase in the number of elements increases the denominator and hence, actually decreases the SD. The overall effect as to whether the SD increases or decreases will vary from case to case.

First, we should note that answers C and E have identical deviations and numbers of elements, hence, their SDs will be identical. This means the answer is certainly not C or E, since Problem Solving questions have a single correct answer.

Let’s move on to the other three options:

Comparing answer choices A and D, we see that they both have the same deviations, but D has more elements. This means its denominator will be greater, and therefore, the SD of answer D is smaller than the SD of answer A. This leaves us with options A and B:

Now notice that although two deviations of answers A and B are the same, answer choice A has a higher deviation of 3 but fewer elements than answer choice B. This means the SD of A will be higher than the SD of B, so the SD of A will be the highest. Hence, our answer must be A.

Will it work if I just list differences between the number then divide by total number ?
e.g
(A) {-3, 1, 2} =4,1=2.5
(B) {-2, -1, 1, 2} =1,2,1=1.33
(C) {3, 5, 7} =2,2,2=2
(D) {-1, 2, 3, 4} =3,1,1=1.66
(E) {0, 2, 4} =2,2=2

we see option A's average difference is greater.
So can we solve the problem this way ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jackfr2 wrote:
Will it work if I just list differences between the number then divide by total number ?
e.g
(A) {-3, 1, 2} =4,1=2.5
(B) {-2, -1, 1, 2} =1,2,1=1.33
(C) {3, 5, 7} =2,2,2=2
(D) {-1, 2, 3, 4} =3,1,1=1.66
(E) {0, 2, 4} =2,2=2

we see option A's average difference is greater.
So can we solve the problem this way ?

Hi jackfr2

There is more error involved in your way so it's hard to say YES because it won't result in corrcet answer all the time. However, fundamentally this calculation which you have shown is also symbolic calculation of standard deviation

Standard Deviation is the Average Deviation of the terms from MEAN Value so it's recommended that you take the deviation of values from mean
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 425
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos