Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following, if true, most logically completes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 6

Which of the following, if true, most logically completes [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 20:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Which of the following, if true, most logically completes the passage?
A recent poll found that over 80 percent of the residents of Nalmed Province favored a massive expansion of the commuter rail system as a means of significantly easing congestion on the province’s highways and were willing to help pay for the expansion through an increase in their taxes. Nevertheless, the poll results indicate that expansion of the rail system, if successfully completed, would be unlikely to achieve its goal of easing congestion, because _______.
A. most people in favor of expanding the rail system reported less congestion during their highway commute as the primary benefit they would experience
B. of the less than 20 percent of residents not counted as favoring the expansion, about half claimed to have no opinion one way or the other
C. the twice-daily periods of peak congestion caused by people commuting in cars have grown from about an hour each to almost two and a half hours each in the past 20 years
D. expanding the commuter rail system will require the construction of dozens of miles of new railbed
E. the proposed expansion to the commuter rail system will make it possible for some people who both live and work at suburban locations to commute by rail

Please provide your explanation

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 20:13
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
A recent poll found that over 80 percent of the residents of Nalmed Province favored a massive expansion of the commuter rail system as a means of significantly easing congestion on the province’s highways and were willing to help pay for the expansion through an increase in their taxes. Nevertheless, the poll results indicate that expansion of the rail system, if successfully completed, would be unlikely to achieve its goal of easing congestion, because _______.
A. most people in favor of expanding the rail system reported less congestion during their highway commute as the primary benefit they would experience
B. of the less than 20 percent of residents not counted as favoring the expansion, about half claimed to have no opinion one way or the other
C. the twice-daily periods of peak congestion caused by people commuting in cars have grown from about an hour each to almost two and a half hours each in the past 20 years
D. expanding the commuter rail system will require the construction of dozens of miles of new railbed
E. the proposed expansion to the commuter rail system will make it possible for some people who both live and work at suburban locations to commute by rail

IMO E.

We have to look for an answer which can give a possbile explanation why the new system will not work. One reason could be the number of people using the transport will increase. Option E tells us exactly this.

Option C is tempting but it talks sbout past and we are concerned about future.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 20:34
Answer should be A

durgesh79 wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:

IMO E.

We have to look for an answer which can give a possbile explanation why the new system will not work. One reason could be the number of people using the transport will increase. Option E tells us exactly this.

Option C is tempting but it talks sbout past and we are concerned about future.

implies that most people in favor of expanding the rail sysem do NOT want to/expect to use it => no reduction in congestion
doesn't say anything useful
this says that more people will use the commute by rail, not that more people will be driving => this could potentially actually lead to a decrease in congestion.
Director
Director

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 20:46
jasonc wrote:
Answer should be A
implies that most people in favor of expanding the rail sysem do NOT want to/expect to use it => no reduction in congestion

I dont think you are reading it right. Option A tells that "less congestion during highway commute" is a potential benefit of proposed rail system.

it doens not say that today there is less congestion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 20:51
IMO A.

If people are reporting that they are currently facing less congestion than there will be no benefit from the construction of the new railway line since the congestion is not a problem to begin with in the first place for these folks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 02:13
The Answer should be A .A says that people will not switch to rail even after the railways are expanded .They will continue to use highways
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 05:02
"A recent poll found that over 80 percent of the residents of Nalmed Province favored a massive expansion of the commuter rail system as a means of significantly easing congestion on the province’s highways and were willing to help pay for the expansion through an increase in their taxes."

A. most people in favor of expanding the rail system reported less congestion during their highway commute as the primary benefit they would experience.

A tells us that the people who FAVOR the commuter rail EXPECT to see less congestion as the primary benefit. The people ARE NOT reporting that they are currently experiencing less traffic. This would provide evidence that the plan IS likely to achieve it's goal.

This increases the number of people using the system and therefore increasing congestion. The commuter rail systems would probably decrease traffic if only the Province residents were using it. But now the suburban residents who don't even work in Province will be using it thereby increasing the congestion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 05:02
It must be A,

Cause each feels the other will take the train to the city and thus will reduce congestion. At the end no one would end up taking the rail system.
Director
Director

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 05:08
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
It must be A,

Cause each feels the other will take the train to the city and thus will reduce congestion. At the end no one would end up taking the rail system.

Where are you getting that from.

80% of the residents are in favor of the rail system.

A says that most of the 80% of people who are in favor of the rail system expect to see shorter commute times as a benefit of the rail system.

Why would they not ride the train?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 05:26
gixxer1000 wrote:
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
It must be A,

A says that most of the 80% of people who are in favor of the rail system expect to see shorter commute times as a benefit of the rail system.

Okay let's put it this way....You and I are part of the "80%"

I drive to work and so do you. Now we both know this new rail system is going to be in place soon. I am really happy cause I feel that you would start to take the rail system and thus fewer people would bother me while I drive to work. Interestingly you think just like me, so you assume that I would take the rail system and thus reduce traffic for you. At the end, we both would still be driving to work through the congestion cursing the rail system :D....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 05:36
IMO

first i went for C but then a second look at the question gave me an idea that it is the poll result on which the conclusion is based and so we've to find an answer choice which gives an idea of what people reported in the poll and not what it is actually. hence A.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 05:38
Im with E...
Director
Director

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 05:41
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
gixxer1000 wrote:
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
It must be A,

Okay let's put it this way....You and I are part of the "80%"

I drive to work and so do you. Now we both know this new rail system is going to be in place soon. I am really happy cause I feel that you would start to take the rail system and thus fewer people would bother me while I drive to work. Interestingly you think just like me, so you assume that I would take the rail system and thus reduce traffic for you. At the end, we both would still be driving to work through the congestion cursing the rail system :D....

I can see you point.

That means most of the 80% of people will still be on the highway. But most could be slightly over half. If slightly under half still take the rail wouldn't that result in a decrease of congestion?

Example 39% of the people take the rail.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 07:16
I dont get it...gixxer could you please elaborate....

the congestion is on the highways...so if some people travel using the rail system....
how does it effect the highway ???

I mean...the people who were not even a part of the system before....
and that too SOME....

so we can still assume that some people will travel using the rail...from the city.... and hence ..less congestion ???
Director
Director

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 07:25
Anon wrote:
I dont get it...gixxer could you please elaborate....

the congestion is on the highways...so if some people travel using the rail system....
how does it effect the highway ???

I'm probably wrong I was just trying to test my logic.

80% of the people are in favor of the rail system to reduce congestion on the highway. The more people that take the train the less people there will be on the highway.

A states that most of the 80% expect to stay on the highway.

ex. 100 people. 80 say that they are in favor of the rail system but most of the 80 say they will stay on the highway. To me most could mean 41 or 79. If 41 people stay on the highway then 39 people will take the rail. That means now there could be 39 people on the rail and 61 on the highway. To me that would be a significant ease of congestion, almost 40%.

The problem where I think I am wrong is that it could be 79 people on the highway and only 1 on the rail. That wouldn't be a significant decrease in congestion.
Director
Director

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 08:25
I'm still in for E.

OA please
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 09:55
I'm with E on this..
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 10:39
OA is A.

E is partly resolving the issue as few people will travel through train (as jasonc mentioned). In A, 80 percent people are blessing rail system just to get "less congestion during their highway commute" but, in reality, they will never use rail system.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 10:44
In my mind, A seems like the only logical choice.
I don't quite understand people's reasoning for E.
Would you guys mind elaborating more?

I'll expand on my initial post of why E is incorrect.

This means that people who live and work at suburban locations -who, before the expanded commuter rail system, would have had to drive to work - can now commute by rail.
=> less people will be driving to work => less congestion in highways.

E in fact shows that the expanded system could and is likely to achieve its goal of decreased congestion on highways.
Director
Director

Re: CR - Commuter Rail System [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 11:45
jasonc wrote:
In my mind, A seems like the only logical choice.
I don't quite understand people's reasoning for E.
Would you guys mind elaborating more?

I'll expand on my initial post of why E is incorrect.

This means that people who live and work at suburban locations -who, before the expanded commuter rail system, would have had to drive to work - can now commute by rail.
=> less people will be driving to work => less congestion in highways.

E in fact shows that the expanded system could and is likely to achieve its goal of decreased congestion on highways.

Although obviously wrong, here was my logic behind E.

E. the proposed expansion to the commuter rail system will make it possible for some people who both live and work at suburban locations to commute by rail.

The people who both live and work in the suburbs have no reason to go into the city. But if the rail system was created in such a way that it went in and out of the city that would be additional people added to the traffic system. For example here in DC if you live in Bethesda (north of the city) and want to go to Silver Spring (also north of the city), you would actually have to take a train ride into the city and then back out to the other site. But if you drive from one to the other you simple drive west or east a few miles without going into the city. So if all the suburban people use the rail system and make it congested then the people who have to drive in and out of the city would have just continue to use the highway.

I think living in DC screwed me up because regardless of the subway traffic is still terrible :roll:
Re: CR - Commuter Rail System   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2008, 11:45