Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2006, 01:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the argument's conclusion?

A. Most people do not believe that the Mona Lisa has any evident flaws
B. The creator of the Mona Lisa, Leonardo da Vinci, did not regard the painting as his finest work
C. It is possible for most people to understand the scope of 15th and 16th century European painting
D. Other European paintings of the 15th and 16th century were once better known than the Mona Lisa
E. Most art scholars feel that the Last Supper is a superior painting to the Mona Lisa.
Attachments

2.JPG
2.JPG [ 33.21 KiB | Viewed 1035 times ]

Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm a man of wealth and taste

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2006, 05:14
I'm a bit confused, but I'll go with B. If the painter himself feels this was not his best work, this strengthens the conclusion that people do not see how the painting is not perfect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2006, 05:50
Also if you want, please rate the quality of this question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Mona Lisa [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2006, 07:33
thearch wrote:
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the argument's conclusion?

B. The creator of the Mona Lisa, Leonardo da Vinci, did not regard the painting as his finest work
C. It is possible for most people to understand the scope of 15th and 16th century European painting
D. Other European paintings of the 15th and 16th century were once better known than the Mona Lisa
E. Most art scholars feel that the Last Supper is a superior painting to the Mona Lisa.

I also go for B. The only way for the Mona Lisa to be considered flawed is if the creator did not consider it his finest work.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 03:22
Will go with B too.

The painter himself doesnot consider it to be his best hence to give it such importance is not justified.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Re: CR - Mona Lisa [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 05:29
go with C. we donot know about B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 05:38
Premises:

1) Mona Lisa -> arguably world's most famous painting
2) Mona Lisa is neither flawless nor incomparable
3) Hands are badly matched, background is dull and other portraits from the same period evince equally enigmatic expressions

Conclusion:
4) Undue focus on Mona Lisa + Popularity of a few other pieces prevents most people from seeing the painting for what it really is and also from understanding the true scope of 15th and 16th Century Eurpoean painting.

We need a statement that supports this conclusion.

We can immediately discard B, D and E as they are unsupported by the passage and do nothign to support the conclusion.

A can be taken out as well, as the conclusion is not about criticizing the Mona Lisa, or about people's ability to discern flaws in the Mona Lisa. Rather, it's lamenting that unfair focus on a few masterpieces of the 15th and 16th century prevents people from really understanding the true scope of paintings during those two periods.

C is the best choice. It says people are able to understand the scope of 15th and 16th centruy European painting. This choice alone supports the conclusion made by the passage.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 07:44
I'll go with C as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 09:22
I chose (C) but OA says (A)...

I've been finding a lot of Kaplan's questions whose answers are rather questionable....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Mona Lisa [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 09:22
Professor wrote:
go with C. we donot know about B.

I feel C is more of an assumption rather than anything that supports the conclusion
VP
VP
Followers: 7

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 10:01
thearch wrote:

I've been finding a lot of Kaplan's questions whose answers are rather questionable....

true. the OA is questionable. how can we conclude A, which is a prediction, so forcefully?

thearch wrote:

CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 13:00
thearch wrote:

Certainly A is questionable but I think this should be B. C seems to an assumption on which argument is based.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Mona Lisa [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 15:03
I would go with A on this.

The authors point is that the Mona Lisa is not all that it is cut out to be... it has flaws which people don't realize. So if most people believe that there are no flaws in the Mona Lisa, the author could prove that it has flaws and there are better paintings from the same period.

thearch wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 00:59
Yes agree that (C) is an assumption, but still (A) doesnt make much sense

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2006, 04:46
yup rightly said .. c is an assumption and since we need to strengthen the conclusion ... c is the answer... error in OA..

--I never think of future, it comes soon enough!!

[#permalink] 06 Jun 2006, 04:46