Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [39]
Given Kudos: 923
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [35]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [7]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29907 [6]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: Which of the following inequalities indicates the set of all values of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
alice7 wrote:
which of the following inequalities indicates the set of all values of d for which the lengths of the three sides of a triangle can be 3,4, and d?

A) 0<d<1
B) 0<d<5
C) 0<d<7
D) 1<d<5
E) 1<d<7

I end up choosing 3 because 9+16 = 25, so 1,2, and 4 is out.
Now I was debating whether to go for 3 or 5 and couldn't decide.

IMPORTANT RULE: If two sides of a triangle have lengths A and B, then . . .
difference between sides A and B < third side < sum of sides A and B

So, 4 - 3 < d < 4 + 3
Simplify: 1 < d < 7
Answer: E

RELATED VIDEO

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 19 Apr 2018, 14:05.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 25 Apr 2021, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Which of the following inequalities indicates the set of all values of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This question is meant to test your understanding of the Triangle Inequality Theorem, but the answer choices are written in a way that you don't actually have to know that math rule to get the correct answer.

We're asked for the range of possible values for the third side of a triangle when the first two sides are 3 and 4...

You're probably all familiar with the 3/4/5 right triangle, so the correct answer MUST include 5 in its range.
Eliminate Answers A, B and D.

For this next part, drawing a picture might help. Draw a line with a length of 4, then draw another line right "on top of" the first line with a length of 3. The length of the first line that is NOT covered by the second line is 4-3 = 1. If the third side was equal to 1, then we would NOT have a triangle - we would have a line right on top of another line. That line with a length of 1 shows us that the third side of the triangle has to be greater than 1.
Eliminate Answer C.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alice7 wrote:
which of the following inequalities indicates the set of all values of d for which the lengths of the three sides of a triangle can be 3,4, and d?

A) 0<d<1
B) 0<d<5
C) 0<d<7
D) 1<d<5
E) 1<d<7

Hi,

D has to be more than 4-3, or 1 otherwise it will become a straight line of 4 length..
D has to be less than 4+3, or 7, otherwise again we will have a straight line of d length..

so 1<d<7
E
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
alice7 wrote:

A) 0<d<1
B) 0<d<5
C) 0<d<7
D) 1<d<5
E) 1<d<7

We are already aware of the rule "third side of a triangle must be less than the sum of other two sides"
So if two sides are 3 and 4, the third side must be less than 7.
The same rule also implies that "third side of a triangle must be greater than the difference between the other two sides."

Here is why:
Say the three sides of the triangle are a, b and c.

a + b > c
Third side is greater than sum of other two.
Similarly, b + c > a

c > a - b
Here we see that c, the third side, is greater than the difference between the other two sides.

So if two sides are 3 and 4, the third side must be greater than 1.

Hence we get the range 1 < d < 7.

Answer (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
alice7 wrote:

A) 0<d<1
B) 0<d<5
C) 0<d<7
D) 1<d<5
E) 1<d<7

We are already aware of the rule "third side of a triangle must be less than the sum of other two sides"
The same rule also implies that "third side of a triangle must be greater than the difference between the other two sides."

Here is why:

a + b > c
Similarly, b + c > a

c > a - b
Here we see that c, the third side, is greater than the difference between the other two sides.

Answer (E)

Still don't understand the difference between D and E. Any help would be appreciated
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
alice7 wrote:

A) 0<d<1
B) 0<d<5
C) 0<d<7
D) 1<d<5
E) 1<d<7

The limits for the third side of a triangle is
a. 3rd side of triangle can't be greater than or equal to sum of 2 sides.
b. 3rd side of triangle can't be smaller than or equal to difference of 2 sides.

So, |3-4| <d < 3+4
1 < d< 7

Answer E
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shivamtibrewala wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
alice7 wrote:

A) 0<d<1
B) 0<d<5
C) 0<d<7
D) 1<d<5
E) 1<d<7

Here is why:

a + b > c
Similarly, b + c > a

c > a - b

Answer (E)

Still don't understand the difference between D and E. Any help would be appreciated

Here is the difference between (D) and (E).
(D) doesn't cover the entire range of possibilities. e.g. d can be 6.
3, 4 and 6 form a triangle. The sum of each pair of two sides is greater than the third. (E) covers the entire range.

The question asks for the set of ALL values:
" ... indicates the set of all values of d ..."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Maybe I'm not understanding the logic here correctly. Let's tweak the question and say that we had sides with lenghts 7, 3 and D.

By this formula, (7-3)<D<(7+3) -> 4<D<10.

4 now falls out of range. Can someone explain? Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aashay94 wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding the logic here correctly. Let's tweak the question and say that we had sides with lenghts 7, 3 and D.

By this formula, (7-3)<D<(7+3) -> 4<D<10.

4 now falls out of range. Can someone explain? Thanks!

Hi Aashay94,

This type of situation is based on the Triangle Inequality Theorem. The simple idea behind this math rule is that when you are forming triangles and have the values of two of the sides, you can determine the 'range' of values for the third side.

The smallest POSSIBLE length for the third side must be greater than the 'positive difference' of the two sides that you have.
The largest POSSIBLE length for the third side must be less than the sum of the two sides that you have.

Thus, with sides of 3, 7 and D....
The smallest possible distance is GREATER than (7 - 3) = 4
The largest possible distances is LESS than (7 + 3) = 10
Thus 4 < D < 10.

The same concept applies to the question at the beginning of this thread (changes the values to 3, 4 and D and you'll see).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Thanks Rich! Appreciate it

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
alice7 wrote:

A) 0<d<1
B) 0<d<5
C) 0<d<7
D) 1<d<5
E) 1<d<7

Hi Sir Bunuel

I was able to get the range of the value of d i.e. 1<d<7, But i got confused because i once encountered the similar type of question. As in this question there are two options which include the complete set of probable values of 'd' i.e. Option C and E.

However i marked the option E during my mock.

Question i faced earlier from which i noticed a issue: Actually there was a inequality mentioned and after solving the equation i managed to find the value of x. Let in this case X>5. And one of the option was mentioned X>2, which indeed was the correct answer because X>2 definitely includes the X>5.

How the question i solved earlier is different from this question. Is there any flaw in my thought process. Kindly help me.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keshav1404 wrote:
alice7 wrote:

A) 0<d<1
B) 0<d<5
C) 0<d<7
D) 1<d<5
E) 1<d<7

Hi Sir Bunuel

I was able to get the range of the value of d i.e. 1<d<7, But i got confused because i once encountered the similar type of question. As in this question there are two options which include the complete set of probable values of 'd' i.e. Option C and E.

However i marked the option E during my mock.

Question i faced earlier from which i noticed a issue: Actually there was a inequality mentioned and after solving the equation i managed to find the value of x. Let in this case X>5. And one of the option was mentioned X>2, which indeed was the correct answer because X>2 definitely includes the X>5.

How the question i solved earlier is different from this question. Is there any flaw in my thought process. Kindly help me.

If the question were "The three sides of a triangle are 3, 4, and d. Which of the following must be true about d?", then the option "0 < d < 7" would be correct. That's because while for the triangle condition, d needs to be between 1 and 7, any value of d between 1 and 7 also falls within the broader range of 0 to 7.

However, the problem at hand asks a different question. It seeks to pinpoint the exact range for which all possible values of d will form a triangle with sides 3 and 4. In this specific context, "0 < d < 7" is not true because d cannot be less than 1. The precise range capturing all valid d values is "1 < d < 7".
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Theory: Each Side of the Triangle is between the | Difference of the other two sides | and Sum of the other two sides

=> |3 - 4| < d < 3 + 4
=> |-1| < d < 7
=> 1 < d < 7

So, Answer will be E
Hope it helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts