Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following logically completes the passage below

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 11

Which of the following logically completes the passage below [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:07) correct 32% (01:41) wrong based on 110 sessions
Which of the following logically completes the passage below ?

One name-brand cereal manufacturer is about to reduce wholesale prices for its cereals by 20% because consumers have been switching from its cereals to cheaper store brands. The success of this strategy relies on the assumption that supermarkets will pass on all of the savings by lowering the prices they charge consumers for the manufacturers' cereals. Although supermarkets usually pass on such savings, in this case it is likely that supermarkets will not do so because ............................................................

a) Several other name-brand cereal manufacturers are about to reduce the wholesale prices of their cereals
b) the average price per box of name-band cereals has significantly increases over the past 10 years.
c) total annual sales of cereal - including both name-brand and store-brand cereals -have increased over the past 10 years.
d) supermarkets currently make far more profit on sales of store-brand cereals than on sales of name-brand cereals
e) the current prices of manufacturers' cereals are comparable to the prices of name-brand cereals produced by other cereal manufacturers.

Please discuss each answer choice.

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

You want something, go get it . Period !

2 KUDOS received
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 85 [2] , given: 31

Re: One name-brand cereal manufacturer : GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
a) Several other name-brand cereal manufacturers are about to reduce the wholesale prices of their cereals: Incorrect. Even if other brand name manufacturers reduce the price, there is no reason why store cannot pass the saving.
b) the average price per box of name-band cereals has significantly increases over the past 10 years: Incorrect. This will impact the manufacturer not the stores. So, irrelevant.
c) total annual sales of cereal - including both name-brand and store-brand cereals -have increased over the past 10 years: Incorrect. Even if the sales increased, there is no reason why store cannot pass the saving.
d) supermarkets currently make far more profit on sales of store-brand cereals than on sales of name-brand cereals: Correct. If the store is earning more profit on sales of their brand why will they want to lose sale and earn less profit.
e) the current prices of manufacturers' cereals are comparable to the prices of name-brand cereals produced by other cereal manufacturers: Incorrect. Comparison of brand to other brand is irrelevant, let's keep it to manufacturers' brand vs stores' brand. Irrelevant.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 11

Re: One name-brand cereal manufacturer : GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
Vineetk wrote:
a) Several other name-brand cereal manufacturers are about to reduce the wholesale prices of their cereals: Incorrect. Even if other brand name manufacturers reduce the price, there is no reason why store cannot pass the saving.
b) the average price per box of name-band cereals has significantly increases over the past 10 years: Incorrect. This will impact the manufacturer not the stores. So, irrelevant.
c) total annual sales of cereal - including both name-brand and store-brand cereals -have increased over the past 10 years: Incorrect. Even if the sales increased, there is no reason why store cannot pass the saving.
d) supermarkets currently make far more profit on sales of store-brand cereals than on sales of name-brand cereals: Correct. If the store is earning more profit on sales of their brand why will they want to lose sale and earn less profit.
e) the current prices of manufacturers' cereals are comparable to the prices of name-brand cereals produced by other cereal manufacturers: Incorrect. Comparison of brand to other brand is irrelevant, let's keep it to manufacturers' brand vs stores' brand. Irrelevant.

Can you explain what it exactly means when it says "pass on the savings to consumers" ? That is what is actually confusing me.

1 KUDOS received
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 31

Re: One name-brand cereal manufacturer : GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 01:21
This post received
KUDOS
ankit0411 wrote:
Vineetk wrote:

Can you explain what it exactly means when it says "pass on the savings to consumers" ? That is what is actually confusing me.

This means that whenever store receives any discounts from manufacturer, it passes it to the customer but in this case it will not. The manufacturer is not reducing the price on MRP but on wholesale prices. While store is now getting the product at 20% lower price, it will not give discount to the customer (i.e. will still sell at MRP).
BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: One name-brand cereal manufacturer : GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 02:54
Vineetk wrote:
ankit0411 wrote:
Vineetk wrote:

This means that whenever store receives any discounts from manufacturer, it passes it to the customer but in this case it will not. The manufacturer is not reducing the price on MRP but on wholesale prices. While store is now getting the product at 20% lower price, it will not give discount to the customer (i.e. will still sell at MRP).

That totally makes sense now ! all other options look irrelevant after re-reading the question carefully.

Thanks,
Ankit

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: One name-brand cereal manufacturer : GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 18:01
I got D after 1'47'' after eliminating A, B, C, E which are irrelevant.
In such time, I am not sure whether D is right or not.
BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: One name-brand cereal manufacturer : GMAT PREP [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 07:34
paladin3828 wrote:
I got D after 1'47'' after eliminating A, B, C, E which are irrelevant.
In such time, I am not sure whether D is right or not.

The answer is D- If super markets are making profits on store brand cereals why would they want the sales of one-brand cereal to increase ( that is by passing the savings to the customer ) . This would definitely reduce profit on their own brand right ?

SVP
SVP
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Which of the following logically completes the passage below [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 02:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 45

Re: Which of the following logically completes the passage below [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2014, 06:32
Really very Good Question.
My first answer was E, After rereading and from above posts understood the meaning of the argument.
Understand this ... will pass on all of the savings by lowering the prices they charge consumers for the manufacturers' cereals. Although supermarkets usually pass on such savings, in this case it is likely that supermarkets will not do so because ..............Is Imp!

1, Brand Cereal thought if i reduce 20% Discount then may will have more sales.
2, Thought the Supermarket will sale at discount price.
3, Now the supermarket take an adv of it sales the MRP rate and sales the store brand in cheaper.
So the Supermarket get more profits on Selling more store brand than brand.
So D.
:-D
Re: Which of the following logically completes the passage below   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2014, 06:32