Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 230 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 04:05
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:26) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 19 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

The title page of a book printed in 1955 bears a handwritten quotation from an eleventh -century
Anglo-Saxon treaty below which appears the date October 1956 and the name of the scholar
Nelson Mb. Only two manuscripts of the treaty existed in 1956, and a printed version was not
published until 1968. Although it is conceivable that Nelson saw one of the two manuscripts,
it is more probable that the title-page inscription is a forgery, since __________.
A. Nelson Mb is known to have used several different styles in writing his signature
B. Nelson Mb died not long after the publication of the printed edition of the treaty
C. Nelson Mb was one of relatively few people who could still read Anglo-Saxon in the 1900s
D. the printed edition of the treaty was based on only one of the two manuscripts, the other having
been known to very few scholars before 1968
E. the quotation follows exactly the spelling of the printed edition, which contains errors introduced by the printer.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after some discusions

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 22

Re: The title page of a book printed in 1955 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 04:27
E for me.
If the printed version error is reproduced and is said to be of 1956....it is forgery

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: The title page of a book printed in 1955 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 13:03
abhichhajer wrote:
E for me.
If the printed version error is reproduced and is said to be of 1956....it is forgery

Hi please can you take some time to explain before arriving at the answer.
The passage talks about a book with an inscription on the title page; how does the
error in the printed edition invalidate the authenticity of the book?

Thanks.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 67

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 15:51
for·ger·y/ˈfôrjərē/
Noun:
The action of forging or producing a copy of a document, signature, banknote, or work of art.
A forged or copied document, signature, banknote, or work of art.

What is forgery in the argument?
The inscription which is in written in Anglo saxon from 11th century. The argument mentions that author has got one of the two manuscripts.
Now we need to strengthen that inscription is a forgery.

When you look at C which mentions that author was one of the few people who knew how to read manuscript.
Though E is a also a strong contender which states spelling matches, but C strengthens more strongly than E.

Can you pls post the OA and OE also gmatbull your questions are quite good, can u pls mention the source for above question.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 13:09
gmatbull wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

The title page of a book printed in 1955 bears a handwritten quotation from an eleventh -century
Anglo-Saxon treaty below which appears the date October 1956 and the name of the scholar
Nelson Mb. Only two manuscripts of the treaty existed in 1956, and a printed version was not
published until 1968. Although it is conceivable that Nelson saw one of the two manuscripts,
it is more probable that the title-page inscription is a forgery, since __________.
A. Nelson Mb is known to have used several different styles in writing his signature
B. Nelson Mb died not long after the publication of the printed edition of the treaty
C. Nelson Mb was one of relatively few people who could still read Anglo-Saxon in the 1900s
D. the printed edition of the treaty was based on only one of the two manuscripts, the other having
been known to very few scholars before 1968
E. the quotation follows exactly the spelling of the printed edition, which contains errors introduced by the printer.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after some discusions

Well let me tell you I'm going in for (E) on this one. It is pretty self explanatory, but let's see.
If it contined the exactly same spelling errors as the printed version then it was to be a forgery right?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 07:58
This is a tough question. +1 gmatbull.

My take:
On a book printed in 1955, there is a handwritten Quote( from treaty) with date 1956 & name Nelson.
Manuscript was not printed until 1968 and only 2 manuscripts were available before that
Chances are that Nelson saw this manuscript and wrote the quote himself sometime in 1956 but it looks like a forgery i.e Nelson did not write it in 1956 Since......

A. Nelson Mb is known to have used several different styles in writing his signature --> Nelson could have written it. No indication of forgery
B. Nelson Mb died not long after the publication of the printed edition of the treaty--> Nelson could have written it. As he might have had access to the manuscript. No indication of forgery
C. Nelson Mb was one of relatively few people who could still read Anglo-Saxon in the 1900s--> Nelson could have written it. As he knew how to read the manuscript. No indication of forgery
been known to very few scholars before 1968--> Nelson could have written it. As he might have had access to the manuscript. No indication of forgery
E. the quotation follows exactly the spelling of the printed edition, which contains errors introduced by the printer. ---> The Quote had a spelling mistake same as that found in the printed edition. So that means the quote was written after 1968 and not 1956.This is an Indication of forgery

E IMO

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 07:58