Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 10:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:08) correct 34% (01:18) wrong based on 250 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 65
Page: 142
Difficulty:

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades economic stagnation and restrictive regulations inhibited investment in new oild fields. In consequence, Utrania oil exports dropped steadily as old fields became depleted. Utrania's currently improving economic condition, together with less restrictive regulations, will undoubtedly result in the rapid development of new fields. However, it would be premature to conclude that the rapid development of new fields will result in higher oil exports, because:

A. the price of oil is expected to remain relatively stable over the next several years.

B. the improvement in the economic situation in Utrania is expected to result in a dramatic increase in the proportion of Utranian's who own automobiles.

C. most of the investment in the oil fields in Utrania is expected to come from foreign sources.

D. new technology is available to recover oil from old oil fields formerly regarded as depleted.

E. many of the new oil fields in Utrania are likely to be as productive as those that were developing during the period when Utrania was a major oil exporter.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Utrania [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 10:34
A, B, C are out of scope...

I think the answer is D beacause....There is a possibilty that the new technology is available to recover oils from the old fields formerly regarded as depleted...That it is premature to conclude the rapid development of new fields will result in Higher oil exports...they are stressing on OLD oil fields or NEW oil fields.

'Hakuna matata'

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 10:52
whats the OA?

'Hakuna matata'

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 14:41
I will go with B.

The old and new oil field argument is just here to confuse the answers. The fact is - "... will undoubtedly result in the rapid development of new fields." With new fields developing the oil production will surely increase the total oil output. Unless of course if the oil produced is consumed locally...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2006, 02:16
I narrowed it down to B and C.
I chose C.
Can anyone please explain why C is wrong?
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2006, 02:49
kripalkavi wrote:
I narrowed it down to B and C.
I chose C.
Can anyone please explain why C is wrong?

It is an irrelevant statement. What if the investment comes from a foreign source? Still Utrania can be an exporter.

Utrania can't be an exporter because, all the oil is going to be consumed domestically.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2006, 09:03
B. the improvement in the economic situation in Utrania is expected to result in a dramatic increase in the proportion of Utranian's who own automobiles

If the new oil fields generated oil is used internal to Utrania then the exports will not increase.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2006, 22:36
bit late ... straight B. If there is increase in domestic demand it will affect oil required for exports
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 20:25
This post received
KUDOS
Which of the following most logically completes the arguement?

Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades economic stagnation and restrictive regulations inhibited investment in new oil fields. In consequence, Utranian oil exports dropped steadily as old fields became depleted. Utrania's currently improving economic situation, together with less-restrictive regulations, will undoubtedly result in the rapid development of new fields. However, it would be premature to conclude that the rapid developemtn of new fields will result in higher oil exports, because

A. the price of oil is expected to remain relatively stable over the next several years.
B. the improvement in the economic situation in Utrania is expected to result in a dramatic increase in the proprtion of Utranians who own automobiles.
C. most of the investment in new oil fields in Utrania is expected to come from foreign sources
D. new technology is available to recover oil from old oil fields formerly regarded as depleted.
E. many of the new oil fields in Utrania are likely to be as productive as those that were developed during the period when Utrania was a major oil exporter.

My question here is about the question stem. Under what category does this question fall? Is it an assumption question stem??
Can somebody explain the strategy for tackling these kind of questions?

Thanks

Last edited by krackgmat on 11 Dec 2012, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 589 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 21:15
Expert's post
krackgmat wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the arguement?

Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades economic stagnation and restrictive regulations inhibited investment in new oil fields. In consequence, Utranian oil exports dropped steadily as old fields became depleted. Utrania's currently improving economic situation, together with less-restrictive regulations, will undoubtedly result in the rapid development of new fields. However, it would be premature to conclude that the rapid developemtn of new fields will result in higher oil exports, because

B. the improvement in the economic situation in Utrania is expected to result in a dramatic increase in the proprtion of Utranians who own automobiles.
C. most of the investment in new oil fields in Utrania is expected to come from foreign sources
E. many of the new oil fields in Utrania are likely to be as productive as those that were developed during the period when Utrania was a major oil exporter.

My question here is about the question stem. Under what category does this question fall? Is it an assumption question stem??
Can somebody explain the strategy for tackling these kind of questions?

Thanks

Hii KrackGMAT.
I view these questions as Weaken questions.
Just try to put yourself with the flow of the stimulus.
The stimulus says:
1)Utrania was a mojor exporter but because of recession(or whatever) and some regulations, new investments in oil industry stopped. Result- Oil exports dropped.
2)Currently there is no recession and regulations are less strict, so companies are investing in the oil fields. Expected result- Rapid development of new fields.
Now there is a twist.
3) But it is not sure that the rapid development of new fileds will result in higher oil exports.

Now you have to complete the flow by giving reason why 3 is true. How can you do this? By providing an alternate cause.

D and B are close contenders, but D is better in that B makes some un-needed assumptions, though it will be great if we hear reasons why B is incorrect.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 21:33
I just updated the response in the spoiler as I misentered the correct answer previously.

the Official Answer is B.
Explanation for Answer choice B:
An increase in car ownership would increase Utrania's Oil consumption, which could eat up the added oil production from the new fields.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 21:40
Expert's post
krackgmat wrote:
I just updated the response in the spoiler as I misentered the correct answer previously.

the Official Answer is B.
Explanation for Answer choice B:
An increase in car ownership would increase Utrania's Oil consumption, which could eat up the added oil production from the new fields.

But here aren't you assuming that the automobiles run only on fuel; there can be an increase in the number of electric cars.
The second assumption one is making is that since the proportion of automobile owners has increased, the number of automobile owners has also increased. If I say that a number of Utranians who did not own automobiles left the country, then also the proportion of automobile owners increases but it will not eat up the oil.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 110 [1] , given: 63

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="krackgmat"]Which of the following most logically completes the arguement?

Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades economic stagnation and restrictive regulations inhibited investment in new oil fields. In consequence, Utranian oil exports dropped steadily as old fields became depleted. Utrania's currently improving economic situation, together with less-restrictive regulations, will undoubtedly result in the rapid development of new fields. However, it would be premature to conclude that the rapid development of new fields will result in higher oil exports, because

You can't say all complete the passage questions are weaken question, it all depends on whats going on it can be anything an assumption, strengthen, weaken etc in this particular question. We need to justify the reason why the statement in blue.

we have to ask ourselves why would it be premature to assume that rapid development will lead to higher exports?

This answer lies in the previous statement that it depends on the improvement in the economic situation. Now option B clearly says that the economic situation depends on some other factor and only when that factor is true,i.e. the proportion who own automobiles increases only then utrania will achieve economic prosperity.

This particular question is close to an assumption question cos we are looking for a missing premise.

Hope that helps!
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 22:29
Expert's post
Hii nelz.
Don't you think that by selecting B, you are making some assumptions here; the cars only run on fuels and since the proportion increased so the number increased as well.

Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 63

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 22:40
Marcab wrote:
Hii nelz.
Don't you think that by selecting B, you are making some assumptions here; the cars only run on fuels and since the proportion increased so the number increased as well.

Marcab,

The problem here is that rapid development of new fields this depends on improving economic situation. Now economic situation depends on some other condition, its important to note it may or may not happen. what happens if there is an increase in the proportion of automobiles this leads to economic conditions improvement and this leads to rapid development of new fields

now there is a second situation here,what happens if there isn't an increase in proportion of automobiles, then there isn't any economic improvement and then there won't be any improvement in development of new fields.

I believe you have classified this question incorrectly as a weaken question, instead it is trying to find an assumption on which the argument depends on ( in this particular assumption question its more restrictive)

point to note,it doesn't matter if its run on fuels its a situation that economic conditions depend on something else and only when the second condition is true it will be correct. It would be easier to explain with a diagram but I hope I have made the point clear.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 23:03
Expert's post
nelz007 wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Hii nelz.

Marcab,

The problem here is that rapid development of new fields this depends on improving economic situation. Now economic situation depends on some other condition, its important to note it may or may not happen. what happens if there is an increase in the proportion of automobiles this leads to economic conditions improvement and this leads to rapid development of new fields

now there is a second situation here,what happens if there isn't an increase in proportion of automobiles, then there isn't any economic improvement and then there won't be any improvement in development of new fields.

I believe you have classified this question incorrectly as a weaken question, instead it is trying to find an assumption on which the argument depends on ( in this particular assumption question its more restrictive)

point to note,it doesn't matter if its run on fuels its a situation that economic conditions depend on something else and only when the second condition is true it will be correct. It would be easier to explain with a diagram but I hope I have made the point clear.

Okay.
If I say that 1 million cars that run on electricity have been bought by Utranians, then wouldn't this fact prove that it is premature to conclude that the rapid developemtn of new fields will result in higher oil exports. IMO its yes.
Also there is a difference between proportion and number. What if a huge number of Utranians migrated to some other country when the economic condition of Utranian was not that good.

Moreover can you please explain "now there is a second situation here,what happens if there isn't an increase in proportion of automobiles, then there isn't any economic improvement and then there won't be any improvement in development of new fields".
Please explain how did you conclude the above shaded portion.

Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 23:32
Marcab wrote:

Okay.
If I say that 1 million cars that run on electricity have been bought by Utranians, then wouldn't this fact prove that it is premature to conclude that the rapid developemtn of new fields will result in higher oil exports. IMO its yes.
Also there is a difference between proportion and number. What if a huge number of Utranians migrated to some other country when the economic condition of Utranian was not that good.

I don't think you have understood the argument well - B says inorder to gain economic improvement ppl will have to buy automobiles. when ppl buy automobiles there is income generated and this income is used for economic prosperity. Also note the argument is talking about EXPORTS it doesn't mention that its going to supply locally.

Marcab wrote:
Moreover can you please explain "now there is a second situation here,what happens if there isn't an increase in proportion of automobiles, then there isn't any economic improvement and then there won't be any improvement in development of new fields".
Please explain how did you conclude the above shaded portion.

I took the opposite case of B - the improvement in the economic situation in Utrania is expected to result in a dramatic increase in the proprtion of Utranians who own automobiles.

if they don't buy automobiles then there isn't any improvement.

This is from the passage

Utrania's currently improving economic situation, together with less-restrictive regulations, will undoubtedly result in the rapid development of new fields.

so basically there are 2 situations which are needs for rapid development
1) improving economic situation
2) less restrictive regulations.

none of the answer choices mention restrictive regulations so we consider option 1 and this is present in choice B

Also regarding D - new technology is available to recover oil from old oil fields formerly regarded as depleted.

Here is my question to you? would you try to recover oil from a dried up oil field this process is expensive (low chances of getting oil, lots of risk) you might not get any oil if you do this.
Their best option is to look for new fields they have better chances of getting oil. D doesn't do anything to the argument in my opinion.

PS: this is an official question, there won't be any ambiguity here.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 23:45
Expert's post
nelz007 wrote:
I don't think you have understood the argument well - B says inorder to gain economic improvement ppl will have to buy automobiles. when ppl buy automobiles there is income generated and this income is used for economic prosperity. Also note the argument is talking about EXPORTS it doesn't mention that its going to supply locally.

Are you serious?
Does B-"the improvement in the economic situation in Utrania is expected to result in a dramatic increase in the proprtion of Utranians who own automobiles" implies that?
"The improvement in the economic situtation may result in the increase in the PROPORTION of Utranians who own automobiles". Where does it means that "in order to gain economic improvement, people will have to buy automobiles".
You have clearly assumed a lot.

Here is my question to you? would you try to recover oil from a dried up oil field this process is expensive (low chances of getting oil, lots of risk) you might not get any oil if you do this.
Nowhere its mentioned that recovering oil from a dried up oil field is an expensive process.
The only thing that D states is that a new technology is available to recover oil from oil fields that were earlier regarded as depleted.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 23:46
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ******** [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 00:14
what does depleted mean? doesn't it mean its used up source, potentially dried up. I am just going by the meaning of the word.

What I trying to say was expensive is in terms of (potential) return on investment. Both processes are expensive whether you try to find oil in a new / depleted oil field. what are the chances of getting oil makes one process better than the other.

the improvement in the economic situation in Utrania is expected to result in a dramatic increase in the proportion of Utranians who own automobiles.

There is a keyword MAY over here which is why I assumed 2 situation - this is a pretty str8 forward question its a clear B

proportion of Utranians - I know this doesn't mean number it clearly means in this context it means relation / ratio to the number of people.

Utrania's currently improving economic situation, together with less-restrictive regulations, will undoubtedly result in the rapid development of new fields. However, it would be premature to conclude that the rapid development of new fields will result in higher oil exports, because

The above statement is what we have to support for

D is totally irrelevant B,C and E are the ones we are concerned with. out of those 3 options B is best choice.
Re: ******OG Verbal Review - Question 65 ********   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2012, 00:14