Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 15:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

69% (02:14) correct 31% (02:55) wrong based on 8 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Yorco and Zortech are two corporations that employ large numbers of full-time workers who are paid by the hour. Publicly available records indicate that Yorco employs roughly the same number of such hourly wage workers as Zortech does but spends a far higher total sum per year on wages for such workers. Therefore, hourly wages must be higher, on average, at Yorco than at Zortech, since _____.

A. Zortech spends a higher total sum per year than Yorco does to provide its hourly wage workers with benefits other than wages
B. the work performed by hourly wage workers at Zortech does not require a significantly higher level of skill than the work performed by hourly wage workers at Yorco does
C. the proportion of all company employees who are hourly wage workers is significantly greater at Yorco than it is at Zortech
D. overtime work, which is paid at a substantially higher rate than work done during the regular work week, is rare at both Yorco and Zortech
E. the highest hourly wages paid at Yorco are higher than the highest hourly wages paid at Zortech
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 15:56
Is it (D)? if it is i will explain
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 18:41
Yorco and Zortech are two corporations that employ large numbers of full-time workers who are paid by the hour.
Publicly available records indicate that Yorco employs roughly the same number of such hourly wage workers as Zortech
Yarco spends a far higher total sum per year on wages for such workers than Zortech.
Therefore, hourly wages must be higher, on average, at Yorco than at Zortech, since _____.

A. Zortech spends a higher total sum per year than Yorco does to provide its hourly wage workers with benefits other than wages
- wouldn't help

B. the work performed by hourly wage workers at Zortech does not require a significantly higher level of skill than the work performed by hourly wage workers at Yorco does
- out of scope

C. the proportion of all company employees who are hourly wage workers is significantly greater at Yorco than it is at Zortech
- a fraction wouldn't answer the question why Yorco pays more

D. overtime work, which is paid at a substantially higher rate than work done during the regular work week, is rare at both Yorco and Zortech
- out

E. the highest hourly wages paid at Yorco are higher than the highest hourly wages paid at Zortech
- this is the answer. higher wages pulls the average up at Yorco

E it is.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 19:19
I'll take D.

E, while talks about the highest hourly wage, doesn't tell you if the avg. wage at Y is > avg. wage at Z
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- hourly wage [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 19:39
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- hourly wage [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 20:00
ttar wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Yorco and Zortech are two corporations that employ large numbers of full-time workers who are paid by the hour. Publicly available records indicate that Yorco employs roughly the same number of such hourly wage workers as Zortech does but spends a far higher total sum per year on wages for such workers. Therefore, hourly wages must be higher, on average, at Yorco than at Zortech, since _____.

total sum = number of workers * hourly wage * hours

NOW, total sum, number of workers and hourly wage are the same.

Therefore hours must be the same.

D it is
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2005, 21:08
You're right, D should be the answer. If overtime work is rare, then the reason Yorco ended up with more wages paid out is because they have a higher per hour wage compared to Zortech.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 04:48

Not mentoined in the stem

Same as A

Contradicts what has been said in the stem

Out of scope

Could be ..

I choose E
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 08:19
I think this was discussed earlier in the forums. it is E.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 08:42
D ! E is out because the argument talks about average hourly wages and the explanation in E could or could not be the reason for it. D is straight !
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 09:55
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 10:01
HongHu wrote:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13450

Thanks Honghu :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 12:25
I go for D, as that was my initial choice but why is E wrong i didnt quite understand the reasoning
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 03:32
This post received
KUDOS
Yorco and Zortech have roughly the same number of hourly wage workers.
Yorco spends far higher total sum per year on wages of such workers.
:. Hourly wages must be higher on average at Yorco than Zortech...

Spending on benefits is a different topic... The concern is spending on wages... OUT!

Skills are not the issue... OUT!

The other types of employees is out of scopre... OUT!

Thus far, it's quite easy to eliminate A, B and C...

The argument knows that total sums spent by Yorco is greater than Zortech and jumps into conclusion that average is higher in Yorco.. We know that to conclude about average - we must know two components: (1) total sum and (2) total hours... If the hours of workers in Yorco are higher then that will explain the increase in total sums spent and not necessarily mean average is higher...

The conclusion is about the average hourly wage... The breakdown of the total sums that contributed to the average is not known...

Answer: D

Impossible is nothing to God.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 10:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2014, 10:02