Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 11:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 00:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (02:17) correct 24% (01:15) wrong based on 210 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Cornplanted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because .

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation

B. with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants

C. with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required

D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
I pick A.

B: it is not stated how the profitability is affected by the increased hight of the plant....

C: this will decrease profits

D: Almost double, however the yield is lower per plant. So there is no way for double profits...

E: This will dercrease profits....
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 01:35
yeah..one more A.

D is a trap. We are not sure whether the more of plants will have yields commensurate with the number.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 03:49
A - the only one that directly impacts profits
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 08:37
(A) as well.

lower yield per plant will be adjusted by lower production cost.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR #5 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 19:29
Swagatalakshmi wrote:

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Cornplanted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because .

A. with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation

B. with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants

C. with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required

D. with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted

Answer: A
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 23:50
I do not have OA, but I selected A

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2007, 09:23
aurobindo wrote:
yeah..one more A.

D is a trap. We are not sure whether the more of plants will have yields commensurate with the number.

A it is.

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 09:12
Yes, it is A or D, but I pick D.

How can we know that possiblile savings from irigation will double the profits? We don't know what share of total costs irrigation takes.

It makes more sense that if the number of plants is doubled it will lead to ALMOST double increase in profit. ALMOST bcoz yield per acre would be lower.

So I will go with D
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 20:14
A!!!

D is wrong "almost double" kills it. Also, it says each plant will yield less, so even if the plants double, they wont be as productive.

A eliminates costs therefore profits will increase.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 01:23
terp26 wrote:
A!!!

D is wrong "almost double" kills it. Also, it says each plant will yield less, so even if the plants double, they wont be as productive.

A eliminates costs therefore profits will increase.

It does say "profit will increase". The stem says "profits will almost double". How do you know that savings on irrigation will double their profit? Do you know how much they spend on irrigation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR #5 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:44
I am bringing to life that great question. Basically, the choice to make is between A and D.
A: mentions cost, but it can be the case that savings are just 10%
D: restates that was already said in the stymulus. Therefore, it is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR #5 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 19:34
Even if A is picked, one has to make assumptions!
But among the choices A seems to be the best bet!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 16:39
This is one of the most absurd question i have ever seen.The choice is between A and D.With A being the official answer,dare may I ask what is wrong in selecting B ?If we have to make assumptions then someone can assume that taller corn is better i.e. more yield.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 3

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 10:44
Hello arkle,

The problem with B is that it points out that the corn plants will grow taller. This does not imply that the corn will be taller which might lead to increased productivity. It just implies that the structure of the plant will be taller. Farmers are interested in selling the corn and not corn plants. Hence, B makes little sense.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks and Regards,
Kris
arkle wrote:
This is one of the most absurd question i have ever seen.The choice is between A and D.With A being the official answer,dare may I ask what is wrong in selecting B ?If we have to make assumptions then someone can assume that taller corn is better i.e. more yield.

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 298

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 09:55
Can somebody help me by giving a suitable reason for not selecting D?
I read all the above justifications and reasoning, but am not convinced :(

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

7 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 166 [7] , given: 4

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi - I will digest the paragraph point by point - with D in mind...

Here is D:

with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

Ok. So we are looking for something that is not mentioned in the passage, but is a logical conclusion of it....

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches.
So logically this would suggest that, without any other factors that the yield would approximately double - half the space between the rows double the crops, double the yield.

Cornplanted this closely will produce lower yields per plant.
BUT - this will not happen. Yields will not double for a reason not explained (overcrowding maybe?)

Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because .
Profits will double. We know yield will not double (we don't know if it will go up, stay the same or even decrease), so we need to find an extra explanation to complete this argument. At the moment we don't know why profit will increase.

OK. So Back to D

with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double

Does this logically complete the argument? Does it explain the contradication that yield will not double, but profits will? No it doesn't.

In fact it simply re-states something that we've managed to work out for ourselves.

Hope that helps...

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 298

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 04:50
plumber250 wrote:
Hi - I will digest the paragraph point by point - with D in mind...

Here is D:

Ok. So we are looking for something that is not mentioned in the passage, but is a logical conclusion of it....

A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches.
So logically this would suggest that, without any other factors that the yield would approximately double - half the space between the rows double the crops, double the yield.

Cornplanted this closely will produce lower yields per plant.
BUT - this will not happen. Yields will not double for a reason not explained (overcrowding maybe?)

Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because .
Profits will double. We know yield will not double (we don't know if it will go up, stay the same or even decrease), so we need to find an extra explanation to complete this argument. At the moment we don't know why profit will increase.

OK. So Back to D

Does this logically complete the argument? Does it explain the contradication that yield will not double, but profits will? No it doesn't.

In fact it simply re-states something that we've managed to work out for ourselves.

Hope that helps...

James

Nice and thorough,
keeping this in mind, can i assume that any answer choice which is trying to reiterate the meaning present in the passage should not be the answer?

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 166 [1] , given: 4

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 04:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hi - In my opinion the most important sentence in any CR is the first one that defines what type of question it is.

Here we are looking at a 'logically completes the argument' type one.

Here - yes you can always assume that the answer will not be a re-statement. It will be something that carries on the argument you have (you should be able to spot just from the passage that the argument is incomplete) and makes it all co-herent.

Do you have one of the standard Verbal books - they should give you a proper run down by question type.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
Approach: Anytime I see profitability, I think Profit = Revenue - Costs. Revenue is driven by Price and Quantity and do not Costs - Variable and Fixed (typically never goes in this level of depth for GMAT, per what I have seen) . (Obviously, there are many many more real world situations but just a framework to think through)

Here, if the quantity is decreasing, I am expecting something that will impact the price e.g. higher quality or something that will hit the costs e.g. costs of operations e.g. weed control

Spot on. Costs go down, hopefully significantly. Hold it for now – check other answers.

So what? How does this say anything about price, quantity, and costs? Irrelevant.

Lower yield, higher costs, profit down. Eliminate.

True but combined with lower yield, does this do anything for profits? Rather, can we be conclusive?

E. with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted.

Same as C, answer is A
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2013, 07:50