Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 11:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:48) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the argument??When people engage in activities that help others ,their brain releases endorphins,the brain’s natural opiates, which induce in people a feeling of well-being. It has been suggested that regular release of endorphins increases people’s longevity.
And a statistic on adults who regularly engage in volunteer work helping others shows that they live longer, on average, than adults who do not volunteer. However, that statistic would be what we would expect even if volunteering does not boost longevity, because .

A. in the communities studied, women were much more likely to do regularvolunteer work than men were, and women tend to live longer than men do.

B. the number of young adults who do regular volunteer work is on the increase

C. the feelings of well-being induced by endorphins can, at least for a time, maskthe symptoms of various conditions and diseases, provided the symptoms aremild.
D. it is rare for a person to keep up a regular schedule of volunteer work throughouthis or her life.

E. Some people find that keeping a commitment to do regular volunteer workbecomes a source of stress in their lives
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 12:08
Seems to be A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 09:11
C it is...

whats the OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 09:22
I also think that it is C, because even if voluntary doesn't increase the duration of life, endopherine does,
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 10:23
I think it is A. The logic flaw is the wrong presentation of the stats. It is a very common mistake where the presentation of the stats doesn't consider the group the stats present. A points out that since the underlying group for volunteers are woman, it doesn't matter if they volunteer, they live longer because they are woman.
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 11:17
Straight A here guys
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 11:27
A for me! what's the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 10:00
A for me too.
Whats the OA?

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 13:49
This is a GMAT Set question 26 -31.
OA is not A! So any more entries are welcome.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 17:06
answer must be B!
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 18:23
My answer is C.
I think the main point inthis question is shifting the focue frm relation of volunteering with longetivity to some other cause. B,D and E are out of scope. A in fact strenghthens the fact that volunteering boosts longetivity. Only C says that it is release of endorphins which actually boosts lonetivity.
JCLEONES wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument??When people engage in activities that help others ,their brain releases endorphins,the brain’s natural opiates, which induce in people a feeling of well-being. It has been suggested that regular release of endorphins increases people’s longevity.
And a statistic on adults who regularly engage in volunteer work helping others shows that they live longer, on average, than adults who do not volunteer. However, that statistic would be what we would expect even if volunteering does not boost longevity, because .

A. in the communities studied, women were much more likely to do regularvolunteer work than men were, and women tend to live longer than men do.

B. the number of young adults who do regular volunteer work is on the increase

C. the feelings of well-being induced by endorphins can, at least for a time, maskthe symptoms of various conditions and diseases, provided the symptoms aremild.
D. it is rare for a person to keep up a regular schedule of volunteer work throughouthis or her life.

E. Some people find that keeping a commitment to do regular volunteer workbecomes a source of stress in their lives
Manager
Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 18:35
Ummm -- I don't think I have said anything like this before, but here goes --

WTF??

If the OA is NOT A, it makes no sense. A has to be the answer. Here is how the reasoning works:

Evidence point 1: When people engage in activities that help others, their brains release endorphins.

Evidence point 2: People who REGULARLY help others through volunteer work live longer, on average, than people who do not volunteer.

Conclusion (tentative): Regular release of endorphins increases longevity.

Point that weakens the reasoning: The correlation in evidence point 2 would happen WITHOUT volunteering having to be the cause of longevity, because ...

Our job is to complete the point that WEAKENS the reasoning. The reasoning depends on showing that the information in evidence point 2 represents not just correlation, but also causation: participation in the volunteer work is what CAUSED these people to live longer. So to weaken it, we have to attack that causation. The most common and best way to attack a claim of causation is to show that another cause for the observed effect is possible. This is what A does: It shows that the longevity of the volunteers could have been caused by the fact that they are more often women, not by the fact that they volunteered.

If the source says that the OA is NOT A, then that source has a huge amount of explaining to do.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 20:38
IMO....C. I'm not good at providing detailed explanations...so I'll refrain from doing so.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Help on this one please [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 17:47
happybunny wrote:
I think it is A. The logic flaw is the wrong presentation of the stats. It is a very common mistake where the presentation of the stats doesn't consider the group the stats present. A points out that since the underlying group for volunteers are woman, it doesn't matter if they volunteer, they live longer because they are woman.

Well,
I don't think so. It is said, again, women tend to live longer than men, with a premise being - Women tend to do more volunteer work. Though, "and" is used in A, instead of a "hence" or something that is conclusive, I feel A gives a hint of the evidence - Volunteer work boosts longevity.

But the former part of the sentence speaks, even if voluntary work does not boost longevity......................... Not A.

I feel B or C. B, speaking of young adults => No guarantee that young adults live longer(Not sure, if so much has to be thought here).
C, not sure of the latter half of the sentence, but something understandable that endorphins(at some time, meaning, at a time), mask other conditions/diseases(which might hinder longevity). However, it says, only mild symptoms, meaning, do mild symptoms hinder longevity?????????????

Well, as such, C talks about the presence of endorphins, that actually increases longevity.

1) Possibly, the passage says, one of the reasons to produce endorphins, is the urge to do volunteer work, but we are concerned about the other cases of production only(since, the sentence completion, says, irrespective of volunteerism).
2) C gives a weak picture of endorphins activity. (Words like - only at a time, mild symptoms prohibition.. etc)

Comparatively, B assumes the fact that young people live longer and it has nothing to do with volunteerism. It is understandable that they are more prone to live, on the other hand than any other category of individuals, hence B is a good choice.
Meaning - Young people live more and involve greatly in volunteerism, and hence it is not the volunteerism.the endorphin that is responsible for longevity.

IMHO, this is a weakening question, in the form of completing the sentence.

NOTE - Haven't we seen CR's that talk about the minimal loss of an insurance company - That has the best choice of plan that identifies children to be the most accurate targets of the insurance agents.... I feel it is something like that!

May some expert(s) throw more light on this, to improve my understanding?
Kindly correct me if I am wrong :( , Kudos otherwise :) !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 03:49
+1 for A
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 04:24
prab wrote:
+1 for A

Thanks prab.
I understood your reasoning :).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 19:57
raghupara, you're very welcome! :-D

Here is my part of the exp.
If people engage themselves in helping others, they tend to be happy and thus live longer,

The term 'However' introduces the fact that we must oppose this, hence, A is the only one that opposes this
C, doesn't indicate anything about living longer.

Hope, this makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 20:50
IMO A should be the answer. But I dont think the OA has been posted yet, has it?

If not, could some one please confirm the OA?
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 01:03
prab wrote:
raghupara, you're very welcome! :-D

Here is my part of the exp.
If people engage themselves in helping others, they tend to be happy and thus live longer,

The term 'However' introduces the fact that we must oppose this, hence, A is the only one that opposes this
C, doesn't indicate anything about living longer.

Hope, this makes sense.

Lol!
Thanks! :)

But, I feel that the "and" in A,could've been replaced with "because" or something just to make an understanding that, it is because of the natural tendency of women to live longer in certain communities, they do more work. Meaning : The weakening of X=>Y is done by saying Y=>X.

However, i still feel B says something similar to Y=> X. Meaning, it is because young people take up volunteerism, it seems like because of volunteerism, longevity is improved...

Could you highlight more on why not B?
Thanks!
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2011, 01:03