Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Dec 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 19:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:43) correct 67% (01:42) wrong based on 11 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years
(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did
(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States
(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 20:05
C

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 22:58
I will go with 'E' OA..???
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 00:20
Right answer is E.
It can't be C, because it goes too far.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 05:17
E for me too
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 2

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 05:51
For the life of me, I cant see how E makes sense ...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 06:05
the answer E makes more sense because, the argument talks about government initiatives to increase the spread of solar power generators in the US. On the other hand, europe is facing an increased growth in the number of in house manufacturers who in turn would obviously cater to the demand in europe, thus leaving US manufacturers facing the crunch, unless of course the government initiatives succeed. So the circle is complete.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 2

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 07:50
E is fine.
SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 18:44
Kaka, OA is C

When you face this question, what is your response after you finish reading the text? You have already the anwer in your head? or you have no clue, and you find the clue in the choices?

I am definitely in the latter. This takes time and risky. So, I hope to receive any tips from guys!Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 19:26
The way I looked at it, E states that the market is very limited. This limited market could possibly continue on, and therefore this will not be successful and this will not logically complete the argument.

C is using an example from Europe to show why this would be successful in the US. It logically completes the argument.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 210

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 19:29
Hmmm It was between C and E. Very subjective to pick which one. Are there any hard and fast rules when it comes to decrypting these type of questions?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 08:40
I am still having a hard time convincing myself the answer is C. I thought it was E as well, since E shows that if the current market is limited then they will be able to maintain production levels (elimiantes the possibility that when the initiative is successful and demand increases, the market will not grow to ensure that the current prudction levels will be maintained and not stolen from new us firms)

Although, I can see how C could be correct, I just feel that E is a more substantial answer.

what is the source of this?
Manager
Manager

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 08:40
I am still having a hard time convincing myself the answer is C. I thought it was E as well, since E shows that if the current market is limited then they will be able to maintain production levels (elimiantes the possibility that when the initiative is successful and demand increases, the market will not grow to ensure that the current prudction levels will be maintained and not stolen from new us firms)

Although, I can see how C could be correct, I just feel that E is a more substantial answer.

Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 09:06
C clearly has to be the answer and here is why.

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

European manufacturers will reaching the production levels of the U.S. manufacturers in Europe. The government is trying to increase the demand for solar-power generators in United States. But if the European manufacturers are becoming just as good as the U.S. manufacturers what's to stop the Europeans from selling to the U.S. market. Then the U.S. manufacturers would lose production in Europe and the U.S. as well.

Before looking at the answers we know we should be looking for the one that tells us that the U.S. manufacturers will have an advantage in the U.S. market.

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 09:07
sondenso wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years
(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did
(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

I will go with C.

A - where does this info come from?
B - not mentioned & irrelevant
D - where is this mentioned?
E - not mentioned in the paragrpah either.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 09:11
gmat blows wrote:

How can it be E? The question is more related towards production and sales of units to where. Just as European manufactures are emerging and will capture most of the European market, the US is funding initiatives to have an increased use of solar-power in the US. This is stated.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 2

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 17:29
Ah ha ! So i wasnt crazy in picking C initially. I still dont see how E could make sense at all.
SVP
SVP

Premium Member
Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 17:32
gmat blows wrote:

GmatPrep2!
Manager
Manager

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 07:22
sondenso wrote:
gmat blows wrote:

GmatPrep2!

dangit - and I thought I was getting a hang of the way the GMAT folks think...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR. Incomplete argument! [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 16:50
My answer is C. Although i had to choose between c & E, i went for C.

the main assumption in this passage is once the european manufacturers have emerged they will gain major control of the european market and will eventually eat into the european market share of US manufactures.not withstanding the fact, that US manufactures have the first mover advantage. This is primarily because of the home market advantage enjoyed by the european manufactures. Applying the same rule to US manufactures & US market, we can clearly conclude that C is the correct answer.

Why E is not the correct choice. Since there is no market for US manufactures in US they are forced to export their products elsewhere. This implies that there is no/minor market for solar power generators.The choice E restates with different words what is already mentioned in the premise.
Re: CR. Incomplete argument!   [#permalink] 07 May 2008, 16:50