Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 10:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (02:26) correct 27% (02:25) wrong based on 90 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 37
Page: 130
Difficulty:

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
Although the pesticide TDX has been widely used by fruit growers since the early 1960’s, a regulation in force since 1960 has prohibited sale of fruit on which any TDX residue can be detected. That regulation is about to be replaced by one that allows sale of fruit on which trace amounts of TDX residue are detected. In fact, however, the change will not allow more TDX on fruit than was allowed in the 1960’s, because ______.

A. pre-1970 techniques for detecting TDX residue could detect it only when it was present on fruit in more than the trace amounts allowed by the new regulations
B. many more people today than in the 1960’s habitually purchase and eat fruit without making an effort to clean residues off the fruit
C. people today do not individually consume any more pieces of fruit, on average, than did the people in the 1960’s
D. at least a small fraction of the fruit sold each year since the early 1960’s has had on it greater levels of TDX than the regulation allows
E. the presence of TDX on fruit in greater than trace amounts has not been shown to cause any harm even to children who eat large amounts of fruit
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Narenn on 17 Oct 2013, 02:10, edited 3 times in total.
verbal OG Project
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Re: TDX Pesticide [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 12:11
[A]
If the previous method to detect TDX was not accurate enough to detect it unless the level was say > 1%, then fruits with TDX qty of <=1% would have been sold anyway. If the new regulation allows up to 1% residue and if the new measurement techniques are accurate, then you will screen out fruits >1%, which is the same as it was in the 1960's.

Thats my reasoning ..
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: TDX Pesticide [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 12:19
Down to A and D - D seems like the trick answer as it refers only to a fraction of the fruit

Will go with A
Not allow more TDX than before because the fruit with the trace amounts of TDX was being sold anyway.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: TDX Pesticide [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 18:57
A looks the best.

However, the only problem with A is: Premise says that 'any' TDX residue was not allowed and A says that there was some TDX which went undetected. On a second thought, it is possible to have both these facts true by having the reasoning in A, that 'any (undetected) TDX residue was not allowed'

Would go with A, OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 02:40
B, C, D --> Irrelevant
E --> Weakens the argument
A is the only that supports.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 02:55
confused between A and D, but A is more relevant. so my reason is A

Sky is the limit

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 22:20
My analysis : TDX used prio to 1960 , regulation banned any fruit on which TDX residue could be found .

New regulation replaces the old one saying some levels are permissible to be found on frutis .

New regulation will not all more TDX on fruits than earlier .... because TDX in small amounts is not dangerous compared to large amounts ?

However what i pre thought was incorrect answer in A ? Can you explain why ?
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1059

Kudos [?]: 2523 [1] , given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 19:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shelrod007 wrote:
My analysis : TDX used prio to 1960 , regulation banned any fruit on which TDX residue could be found .

New regulation replaces the old one saying some levels are permissible to be found on frutis .

New regulation will not all more TDX on fruits than earlier .... because TDX in small amounts is not dangerous compared to large amounts ?

Hi Shelrod,

It would be much better if you can share a bit more analysis. It would help you understand better because the more you write, the clear your thought process becomes.

Coming back to the question, the highlighted part in your analysis is incorrect. We are not really concerned whether some amount of TDX is dangerous or not. This concern might be behind the introduction of the new law. However, we are not concerned with this.

We are only concerned that the new regulation will not allow more TDX on fruits than earlier. So, if new regulations allowed 5 units of TDX on fruits, then earlier regulation must also have allowed this much TDX.

However, we are given that earlier laws did not allow any TDX, then how come the conclusion hold? The conclusion can hold only if in the earlier law, law enforcement agencies were not able to detect 5 units of TDX. IF they could not detect it, how would they stop it?

This is what option A says.

Does it help?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

CAT Tests
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 07:14
egmat wrote:
shelrod007 wrote:

Hi Shelrod,

It would be much better if you can share a bit more analysis. It would help you understand better because the more you write, the clear your thought process becomes.

Coming back to the question, the highlighted part in your analysis is incorrect. We are not really concerned whether some amount of TDX is dangerous or not. This concern might be behind the introduction of the new law. However, we are not concerned with this.

We are only concerned that the new regulation will not allow more TDX on fruits than earlier. So, if new regulations allowed 5 units of TDX on fruits, then earlier regulation must also have allowed this much TDX.

However, we are given that earlier laws did not allow any TDX, then how come the conclusion hold? The conclusion can hold only if in the earlier law, law enforcement agencies were not able to detect 5 units of TDX. IF they could not detect it, how would they stop it?

This is what option A says.

Does it help?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

It is really a super explanation with example. I tried to understand it many times but by reading official answer I couldn't understand it. Now after getting e-gmat explanation it has become easier. Would you please give some more questions of similar category in which I have to use same type of logic? Or when will I use the similar logic? Please explain.
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2014, 07:14