Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the argument

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 330 [1] , given: 109

Which of the following most logically completes the argument [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 02:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:54) correct 50% (02:01) wrong based on 284 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the argument below?

Twenty percent of the stores in Morganville's downtown shopping district will fail within five years because they will be competing directly with the SaveMart discount department store newly opened in East Morganville. The downtown shopping district has lost business at this rate before and has always completely rebounded. Confidence that it will rebound again from the losses it is now about to suffer is ill founded, however, because ________ .

(A) the stores like to be put out of business by direct competition from SaveMart are the downtown shopping district's anchor stores, on whose ability to draw shoppers many of the other downtown stores depend.

(B) the bus line that has long connected the downtown are of Morganville with EastMorganville has a tradition of carrying shoppers who reside in EastMorganville into downtown Morganville to shop.

(C) when the downtown shopping district has rebounded before, the business premises of a failed business were typically taken over by a business of same kind as had been there before

(D) SaveMart's business plan for the EastMorgalvill store is based on earning low profits, if any, during the first five years of the store's existence.

(E) it is conceivable that the downtown shopping district could shrink substantially without collapsing altogether

Please, I don't understand this:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why not E?
I understand in this choice that it is possible that the downtown shopping district could be reduced, so it is possible that this district won't rebound. Therefore, E would be correct.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: Morganville's downtown [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 03:01
OA should be A.
The question says: Confidence that it will rebound again from the losses it is now about to suffer is ill founded, however, because_________________

A gives the statement y downtown shopping district will rebound, which supports the use of however whereas E gives the reason that downtown shopping district won't rebound.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Morganville's downtown [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 04:22
Confidence that it will rebound again from the losses it is now about to suffer is ill founded, however, because ________ .
Pardon me. I think you mean - A provides the reason why the downtown stores will not rebound and E provides the opposite reason - why they will.

varunmaheshwari wrote:
OA should be A.
The question says: Confidence that it will rebound again from the losses it is now about to suffer is ill founded, however, because_________________

A gives the statement y downtown shopping district will rebound, which supports the use of however whereas E gives the reason that downtown shopping district won't rebound.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 109

Re: Morganville's downtown [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 07:04
gmat1220 wrote:
Confidence that it will rebound again from the losses it is now about to suffer is ill founded, however, because ________ .
Pardon me. I think you mean - A provides the reason why the downtown stores will not rebound and E provides the opposite reason - why they will.

varunmaheshwari wrote:
OA should be A.

Hi gmat1220, could you elaborate more about why E explains that the stores will rebound? Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Morganville's downtown [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 07:29
E nearly bends them to their knees but did not blot them - the stem says "shrink substantially without collapsing" them.

Actually E leaves them a plausibility to recuperate because the damage was just to shrink the downtown shopping district stores to the critical mass which will be a meager competition to the SaveMart sharks.

However policy A is "predatory" in nature. This will help SaveMart to do a monopoly. It targets all the anchor stores which are prime movers of the market since they attract the rest of the downtown stores. If anchor stores are killed then the down store are wiped out.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: Morganville's downtown [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 23:21
A is the best option of all

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Morganville's downtown [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 20:28
varunmaheshwari wrote:
OA should be A.

Please explain me what actually the last statement says..ie the conclusion
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Morganville's downtown [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 16:46
E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 22

Re: Morganville's downtown [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 09:03
ruturaj wrote:
varunmaheshwari wrote:
OA should be A.

Please explain me what actually the last statement says..ie the conclusion

Conclusion is saying rebound is not possible because .....

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 31

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the argument [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 22:20
A is the best here as it gives a reason why the sops wouldnot rebound. E doesnt affects anything it just says they will shrink rather than collapsing, okay this doesnt provides any reason why they will not rebound.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the argument [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 00:29
Twenty percent of the stores in Morganville's downtown shopping district will fail within five years because they will be competing directly with the SaveMart discount department store newly opened in East Morganville. The downtown shopping district has lost business at this rate before and has always completely rebounded. Confidence that it will rebound again from the losses it is now about to suffer is ill founded, however, because ________ .

WE NEED something that explains why the downtown shopping district will not be able to rebound from the losses unlike before...

(A) the stores like to be put out of business by direct competition from SaveMart are the downtown shopping district's anchor stores, on whose ability to draw shoppers many of the other downtown stores depend.
If stores to be put out of business are the ANCHOR stores that other depends on, then it will be hard to recuperate. This is a keeper. Let's keep this for now.

(B) the bus line that has long connected the downtown area of Morganville with EastMorganville has a tradition of carrying shoppers who reside in East Morganville into downtown Morganville to shop.
What if majority of the shoppers are non-bus riders... These majority will drive the possibility of recovery for the downtown district... WE have to assume a little more to make this work... And BUS is accessible to both the downtown and the new SaveMart... competition is not helped if both shops are equally accessible...

(C) when the downtown shopping district has rebounded before, the business premises of a failed business were typically taken over by a business of same kind as had been there before
This describes what happened in the past when a business failed. This has no bearing or explanation on whether to recover in the new case at hand is possible. OUT!

(D) SaveMart's business plan for the EastMorgalvill store is based on earning low profits, if any, during the first five years of the store's existence.
This explains the cheap price of the SaveMart, as mentioned already in the argument "discount department stores".... No additional info on whether the shopping district will be able to recover... UNLIKE in A.... A so far is a contender.

(E) it is conceivable that the downtown shopping district could shrink substantially without collapsing altogether
Shrinking without collapsing altogether.. shows that there is a chance... This is opposite of what we need...

Answer: A

Impossible is nothing to God.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the argument [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 01:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the argument   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2014, 01:19