Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 0

Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 14:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:14) correct 33% (01:27) wrong based on 508 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the
passage?

A recent government study links the high rates of
respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne
pollutants released by the Woodco plywood
manufacturing plant there. To address the problem,
the government imposed strict regulations on
emissions which will go into effect in four years.
Although Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half
two years ahead of schedule, it is unlikely that the
rate of respiratory ailments will decline before the
regulations go into effect, since _____________ .

(A) the number of facilities capable of treating
respiratory ailments is not likely to increase

(B) reducing emissions even further than planned
would necessitate decreasing production at
Woodco

(C) it is difficult to make accurate, long-term
predictions about emissions

(D) not all respiratory ailments are caused by
airborne pollutants

(E) three new plywood manufacturing plants are
about to go into production in Groverston
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 218

Kudos [?]: 329 [2] , given: 5

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 19:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
betterscore wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the
passage?

A recent government study links the high rates of
respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne
pollutants released by the Woodco plywood
manufacturing plant there. To address the problem,
the government imposed strict regulations on
emissions which will go into effect in four years.
Although Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half
two years ahead of schedule, it is unlikely that the
rate of respiratory ailments will decline before the
regulations go into effect, since _____________ .

(A) the number of facilities capable of treating
respiratory ailments is not likely to increase

(B) reducing emissions even further than planned
would necessitate decreasing production at
Woodco

(C) it is difficult to make accurate, long-term
predictions about emissions

(D) not all respiratory ailments are caused by
airborne pollutants

To answer this question, you need to find an answer choice that correctly describes why ailments will not decrease in spite of emmission reductions. It's okay to bring in new information, but that information needs to stay true to the stated premises in the argument.

A-We're concerned about the number of ailments, not the treatment "post-ailment".
B-How Woodco acheives its reduction in emmissions is irrelevant because that reduction is already a given premise.
C-Irrelevant information. This does not explain why ailments would increase despite decreased emmissions.
D-Interesting point, but irrelevant because the first premise states that the ailments are connected to airborne emmissions. Granted there could be other ailments, but the ones we care about result from airborne pollutants.
E-This is right on! If new plants go into production in Groverston, the emmissions from the 3 new plants will overwhelm the emmissions acheived in the Woodco plant.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 171 [1] , given: 33

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
In the logically complete the passage questions/must be true question, we should stick to the entities given in the passage and the AO should pass the FACT TEST .
One can easily narrow it down to D/E.
D is incorrect because it broadens the scope of discussion.
E is correct.

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 141 [1] , given: 75

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 22:08
This post received
KUDOS
Perfect explanation by Kyle.

(A) the number of facilities capable of treating respiratory ailments is not likely to increase
the prevention is under consideration not the cure.How the spread can be controlled not how it will be cured later is under question

(B) reducing emissions even further than planned would necessitate decreasing production at Woodco
reducing pollution can be achieved by installing new machines for purification etc, the production need not be decreased.

(C) it is difficult to make accurate, long-term predictions about emissions

we can't question the premise and we have to consider it true.

(D) not all respiratory ailments are caused by airborne pollutants
the argument is concerned about the diseases caused by the airborne pollutants also, it is clearly mentioned that".....the high rates of respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne pollutants released by the Woodco plywood
manufacturing plant ..."so other reasons for the same is out of scope.

New plants will bring more pollution and hence it will increase the risk of the disease.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 08:19
Adding 3 new plants would nullify the emission cuts done by the existing plants to a major extent.

Hence E is the correct answer.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 22:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 18:43
Holy Molly

Between d and e I chose d.
E. The premise clearly says that the airborne pollutants by the woodco plant. The new plants are not specified by woodco and study clearly links airborne pollutants of woodco plant and no claim abt any other manufacturing plants. Regulation just says emissions. I cannot conclude the new plants or any plant other than woodco releases harmful pollutants. Even after the regulations go into affect, it was a stretch to assume all new plants will also act like the harmful woodco plant.

Therefore I gave preference to d because irrespective of what woodco does, the world is going to be a hell with respiratory ailments.

But seems like you all have a different reasoning....
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3590 [0], given: 185

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 21:41
Expert's post
aagar2003 wrote:
Holy Molly

Between d and e I chose d.
E. The premise clearly says that the airborne pollutants by the woodco plant. The new plants are not specified by woodco and study clearly links airborne pollutants of woodco plant and no claim abt any other manufacturing plants. Regulation just says emissions. I cannot conclude the new plants or any plant other than woodco releases harmful pollutants. Even after the regulations go into affect, it was a stretch to assume all new plants will also act like the harmful woodco plant.

Therefore I gave preference to d because irrespective of what woodco does, the world is going to be a hell with respiratory ailments.

But seems like you all have a different reasoning....

Hi,

Even though the world may remain hell with respiratory ailments, it can become slightly lesser hell if you take one hell-creating-reason out. Therefore, we cannot say that intensity of "hell" will not decrease ( this means that option D doesn't support the conclusion).

For example: If Joe gets slaps from 100 people a day, including me. Then, if I stop slapping him, definitely his pain will reduce, even though there are still 99 people who are going to slap him.

Just my two cents. I am not sure if it helps.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Premium Member
Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 23:41
If E is indeed the answer are we to assume that the 3 new plywood plants are gonna be set up without emission control ?

And why not D? Over the years the other factors that cause resp ailments may increase and sustain the number of respiratory ailment cases in Groverstone ryt?

It seems as if we are making convenient assumptions to get to the answer. Someone plz help clarify :(

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 218

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 5

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 14:53
Expert's post
janxavier wrote:
If E is indeed the answer are we to assume that the 3 new plywood plants are gonna be set up without emission control ?

And why not D? Over the years the other factors that cause resp ailments may increase and sustain the number of respiratory ailment cases in Groverstone ryt?

It seems as if we are making convenient assumptions to get to the answer. Someone plz help clarify :(

In considering the impact on the 3 new plants we can only pull from the information in the argument, stating that these plants do create airborne emissions and the governmental regulations don't go into effect for 4 years. The current site will see emissions cut in half, but that is still several years away. The new plants are set to open in the near future, so even if we assume the new plants come online at 50% of the current plant's emissions we are still increasing the airborne pollution by 150%. That would certainly lead us to believe that respiratory illnesses will not decrease (answer E).

Answer choice D is a bit tempting, but one of the premises is that the "high" rates of respiratory illnesses are connected to the plants. We don't have information on the other factors, but the premises make clear that the major cause of high rates that the government is trying to reduce comes from emissions from the plant. We need an answer choice that helps us understand how we can reduce emissions at that plant and still have these elevated rates. Only choice E gives us that information.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage?   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2014, 14:53