Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 4

Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 16:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:52) correct 55% (01:04) wrong based on 71 sessions
Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government-provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because __________.
A. they rely entirely on the government pension for their income
B. Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check
C. they buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation
D. the pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high
E. in Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

I missed this one and am curious to hear people's reasonings on this. I will post my own thoughts once a few people have responded.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 23:03
Selected C; not able to understand how come E is correct....

If you think you are lost, you are.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 4

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 23:08
ravstime wrote:
Selected C; not able to understand how come E is correct....

I picked D. I now realize why D is wrong but still don't quite get why E is the correct answer. In order for E to be right, we have to assume that the children of the elderly will reduce the amount of money they give their parents once the pension goes up. That way, they're receiving the same amount each month; hence, their standards of living don't go up.
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 14

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 01:31
My Answer - E. Took me 2mins 45 s. The complete questions are the toughest for me.

1. elderly citizens got more pension from govt, for the past 2 years
2. Inflation did not increase
3. Still, elderly not better off financially

"in large part because" indicates the next line would be a reason to explain the discrepancy. I thought if I could think of some reason this could happen, but could not think of any. So read the choices

Arbitrageur wrote:
I missed this one and am curious to hear people's reasonings on this. I will post my own thoughts once a few people have responded.

Concerned about the financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagia decided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government-provided pension paid to all Runagians over 65. Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible, and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians. Nevertheless, many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because __________.
A. they rely entirely on the government pension for their income does not explain, yup. now they get more, why cant they be better off?
B. Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check does not explain, they get it late every time - so they do get it regularly, would it be that big a problem?
C. they buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation does not explain, little confusing, but does not seem relevant
D. the pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time highdoes not explain - still should increase the standard of living
E. in Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living if Children already have to support, so more pension would mean children help parents less and more money in children's pockets. THis also says children help only enough to provide for comfortable living - so, there goes the possibility that children will not reduce the amount they give to parents. One thing that still confused me was if all parent already got 90% of what they needed and 20% increase would make them receive >100% of their basic need. In this case, would their living not increase? then I realized, this is a reasoning question not Strengthen/weaken question.

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Concerned about the financial well-being [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 10:51
this question is still not clear
even after poe
though i reached e i didnt feel like going with it and
blindly went with c

just one more month for exam...

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: I missed this one and am curious to hear people's reasonings [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 12:08
E. in Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

If the children were supplementing income for their elderly parents, this means that they were giving their parents money in addition to the pension receieved. If the pension increased, and the children only supplemented enough for a comfortable living, this means that the children must have decreased their supplement.
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: I missed this one and am curious to hear people's reasonings [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 17:50
understood that now
but i fear i will not be able to answer this question if it appears on exam in a short span of 2 min

just one more month for exam...

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 20:09
Arbitrageur wrote:
B. Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a pension check
C. they buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation
D. the pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high

A- if older people rely totally on the pension their standard should of living should have gone up.
B- how does it matter ? Each person receives the pension .
C-Against the argument - argument says inflation was negligible.
D- how does it matter when was the pension increased ? if BPL was all time high they would be better off with the increase right ?
E- this cracks it. Earlier people were getting 100$ pension + 20$ from their children additionally . Now their pension has increased to 120$ and their children have stopped giving them the additional 20$ so how are they better off ?

I hope I'm clear with this.

You want something, go get it . Period !

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5374 [2] , given: 165

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Arbitrageur wrote:

Since quite a few people got stuck in this question, I would like to give my analysis here.

First of all, complete the passage questions belong to one of your regular question types (strengthen/weaken/inference/paradox etc).
This question is just a 'resolve the paradox' question.
What is the paradox?

The government increased the pension it pays to all elderly by 20 %. Inflation has been 0 and the increase has been received by all eligible Runagians. Still, many of them are no better off financially than they were before.

It's a paradox, right?
If someone was getting $100, he is now getting $120. There is no inflation. Then he must be better off now. But he isn't. He still has the same overall financial position as before.

How will you resolve it?

Doesn't make sense. There has been no inflation. We don't know what happens to the prices in times of no inflation.

Doesn't matter. Everyone is getting more money. Someone who used to get $100 now gets $120.

The pension is probably not enough to ensure a comfortable living. If the elders need $200 to live comfortably, children used to provide the extra $100. Now that elderly get $120, children will probably provide only $80 since they help only by enough to provide them a comfortable living. This does resolve our paradox and is the answer. So the financial situation of the elderly stays the same.

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage?   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2012, 03:37