Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 01:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (02:16) correct 11% (01:53) wrong based on 33 sessions

The Metroville Transit Authority’s bus from downtown Metroville to neighboring Crowestown is currently a nonstop
service. Because of planned road repairs, the bus is going to be rerouted along Metroville’s Main Street, where
several stops will be added. Since the bus will pick up passengers making local trips on Main in addition to its
Crowestown passengers, its ridership will increase; but the rerouting will probably not increase the transit authority’s
overall revenue, because __________.

A. the fare for a local trip on Main Street is less than the fare for a trip from Metroville to Crowestown
B. the Metroville Transit Authority will increase the number of trips the Crowestown bus makes per day
C. local passengers picked up by the Crowestown bus on Main Street would otherwise have taken other transit authority buses
D. the Metroville Transit Authority bus is the only way to get from downtown Metroville to Crowestown using mass transit
E. the planned road repairs are expected to require several months to complete

Despite increased ridership, revenue will not increase...because??? i was looking for an increased cost in something
but there was none...Explanations please.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Transit Authority’s bus from downtown [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 02:43

The Metroville Transit Authority’s bus from downtown Metroville to neighboring Crowestown is currently a nonstop
service. Because of planned road repairs, the bus is going to be rerouted along Metroville’s Main Street, where
several stops will be added. Since the bus will pick up passengers making local trips on Main in addition to its
Crowestown passengers, its ridership will increase; but the rerouting will probably not increase the transit authority’s

A. the fare for a local trip on Main Street is less than the fare for a trip from Metroville to Crowestown
B. the Metroville Transit Authority will increase the number of trips the Crowestown bus makes per day
C. local passengers picked up by the Crowestown bus on Main Street would otherwise have taken other transit authority buses
D. the Metroville Transit Authority bus is the only way to get from downtown Metroville to Crowestown using mass transit

Despite increased ridership, revenue will not increase...because??? i was looking for an increased cost in something

C is correct...
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 682 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Transit Authority’s bus from downtown [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 02:55
prasadkhadpe wrote:

C is correct...

There are two situations where revenues can remain the same.
1) There are increased revenues and increased expenses which cancel out ech other.
2) There are no increased revenues at all.

Choice C is an illustration of the second situation.Lets say Transit Authority has two bus routes 1A - Metroville to Crowestown, 1B - Metroville Main Street

It clearly says that the people who are now travelling in 1A would have otherwise travelled by 1B. So anyway, the revenues would have come to the transit authority. Hence there would be no increase in revenues.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 266 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Transit Authority’s bus from downtown [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 04:25
These passengers are those who would otherwise have taken another bus belonging
to the same company....i.e still one of the Tansit Authority buses.
No new passengers...
never read it that way...

Thanks Prasad

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Transit Authority’s bus from downtown [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 21:05
prasadkhadpe wrote:

C is correct...

I think A is correct. THE passage have told "its ridership will increase after rerouting". C is explaining the ridership may not increase,that is, C is against the premise in the passage. A is explaining that on the premise in the passage, the fare falls will also lead to revenue not to increase.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 180 [1] , given: 4

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Cassie,

I'm afraid that I agree with the others that C is correct.

A is tempting, however it does not say that the revenue will be the SAME as before.

If does tell you that the increase will be less than you might imagine, as the fare is lower. However if the extra passengers on the Bus are still paying extra, the revenue will still go up.

C gives an explanation for it staying the SAME - people get one of several buses already. This just means they change the bus they get, so no change in revenue.

Cheers,

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage?   [#permalink] 28 May 2013, 08:34