Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the following most logically completes the passage

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [4] , given: 30

Which of the following most logically completes the passage [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (14:35) correct 59% (01:35) wrong based on 316 sessions
Which of the following most logically completes the passage below?

Two years ago, officials in Bedenia passed landmark drug legislation to combat an explosion of illegal drug use in the country’s major cities. Primarily, the legislation created new controls for preventing the entry of illegal drugs from the neighboring country of Gordenia, the major supplier of illegal drugs to Bedenia. If the plan had been successful, the street price for most illegal drugs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped as it did over the past two years, as long as______________.

The street price of some illegal drugs increased substantially during that time period.

There was a major decrease in the supply of illegal drugs during that time period

Domestic production of illegal drugs did not increase during that time period

The street price of some illegal drugs did not drop during that time period.

The drop in the street price for most illegal drugs was not caused solely by a decrease in demand for those drugs.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 3

Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia passed landmark drug [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 01:09
Fact 1: two years ago Bedenia passed legislation to combat an explosion of illegal drug use in the country’s major cities. The legislation created new controls for preventing the entry of illegal drugs from the neighboring country of Gordenia, the major supplier of illegal drugs to Bedenia.
Fact2: The street price for most illegal drugs in the country’s major cities dropped over the past two years.
We need to prove than plan defined in fact1 was successful even after the results talked about in fact2.

A choice which will show that prices of drugs can drop inspite of a reduced import from Gordenia will be the correct answer and will logically complete the passage. Now prices can drop if domestic production increase or import from some other country starts happening or if demand decreases.

The street price of some illegal drugs increased substantially during that time period.
Incorrect as going against fact2

There was a major decrease in the supply of illegal drugs during that time period
Incorrect as it doesn’t say anything about why the supply decreased and is repeat of fact2.

Domestic production of illegal drugs did not increase during that time period.
Incorrect. :domestic production has to increase more than the imports reduction from Gordenia as Gordenia was the major supplier. So just a production increase is not enough.

The street price of some illegal drugs did not drop during that time period.
Incorrect as don’t give us a reason of why price fell.

The drop in the street price for most illegal drugs was not caused solely by a decrease in demand for those drugs.
Correct: The plan to decrease the imports from Gordenia could have worked but prices still went down because of low demand.

The Kudo please :)

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [2] , given: 122

Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia passed landmark drug [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 20:35
This post received
KUDOS
After some posts of thelosthippie. I understand a little bit the logic of Veritas in CR (I mean, just a little bit :))
Veritas's CR questions are difficult because of the written styles. IMO, to break these questions, we need to read the questions carefully

This question is a very good example. The main conclusion is:
"If the plan had been successful, the street price for most illegal drugs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped as it did over the past two years"

What does it mean? It means "Even the supply of illegal drug reduced, but the prices also dropped because......................".

So we will need an answer that shows illegal drug prices not only depend on supply-demand relationship.

Now we will see A, B, C, D are reverse answers. They actually support the logic: Supply reduced ==> Price increased. But that's not the main point.

Only E explains the reason why "Supply reduced, but Priced also dropped too". Because the price of illegal drugs not only depends on the supply-demand relationship.

Hence, E is correct.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia passed landmark drug [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 20:46
There is nothing in the world that can make me believe ans C cannot be correct.
If the supply of local drugs increased, the price would also go down...
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia passed landmark drug [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 23:03
Ivan91 wrote:

I think C states that the supply of local drugs did not increase. Furthermore, the supply of drug from foreigner sources reduced ==> Total supply of drug decreased at that time.

Choice C: Domestic production of illegal drugs did not increase during that time period

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia passed landmark drug [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 07:07
pqhai wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:

I think C states that the supply of local drugs did not increase. Furthermore, the supply of drug from foreigner sources reduced ==> Total supply of drug decreased at that time.

Choice C: Domestic production of illegal drugs did not increase during that time period

Prices would not go down.....provided domestic production did not increase. Makes perfect sense to me.
Basically they eay that if the policy was successful, prices shoud have gone down becauce foreign supply is reduced...provided local supply did not increase. Whats wring with that ?
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1374 [3] , given: 122

Re: Two years ago, officials in Bedenia passed landmark drug [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
Ivan91 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:

Prices would not go down.....provided domestic production did not increase. Makes perfect sense to me.
Basically they eay that if the policy was successful, prices shoud have gone down becauce foreign supply is reduced...provided local supply did not increase. Whats wring with that ?

Hi Ivan91
You're correct. If domestic production did not increase (it means supply will reduce) ==> Prices would not go down. There's no problem with the logic: supply reduces, prices do not reduce.

But, please read the last sentence one more time

"If the plan had been successful, the street price for most illegal drugs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped as it did over the past two years"

What does it mean? Please see the underlined portion. "as it did over the past two years" means the prices dropped actually.
It means you need to find the answer that explains why the supply reduced, but the prices also reduced (normally, prices should not reduce).

That's why I say Veritas CR questions are difficult because of the wording, not the logic.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 02:15
Hi pqhai,

I am not convinced with the OA
Premise: Country B stopped illegal drug entry from Country G.
Plan was successful but prices of most most illegal drugs dropped, which ideally should not have been the case as reduced supply = increased prices

A. The street price of some illegal drugs increased substantially during that time period --> This makes sense. Supply from G has reduced, but prices of few drugs have increased substantially. These drugs are the ones used by most ppl.
B. There was a major decrease in the supply of illegal drugs during that time period --> if there was major decrease, prices cannot go down. Hence not valid.
C. Domestic production of illegal drugs did not increase during that time period --> the street price for most illegal drugs would not have dropped unless domestic production had increased. But the opposite is stated here. Hence not valid
D. The street price of some illegal drugs did not drop during that time period. --> This one also makes sense. As most decreased, some did not. Like A these were the ones used by most people.
E. The drop in the street price for most illegal drugs was not caused solely by a decrease in demand for those drugs.--> We are saying drop was not because of decrease in demand. So if demand didn't decrease, how did prices go down ? Does not make sense

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 08:58
First of, plan was not successful so it meant that prices had dropped.

If the plan had been successful, the street price for most illegal drugs in the country’s major cities would not have dropped as it did over the past two years, as long as______________.

The choice E, explains or provides us with an alternate reason that even though supply was limited, less demand lead to drop in drug price.

Hope it is clear.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2014, 15:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Which of the following most logically completes the passage   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2014, 15:30