Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [65]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [25]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [11]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Which of the following pairs of numbers, when added to the set above, [#permalink]
Kudos
mydreammba wrote:
Hi Bunnel,

I am confused with a small concept. Can you please help with this below concept?

This is a problem from Manhattan 13th Edition

consider Set {9,12,15,18,21}

Which of the following pairs of numbers, when added to the set above, will increase the standard deviation of the set?

1. 14, 16
2. 9, 21
3. 15, 100

Here is my reasoning

I know that with Options 2 & Option 3 the SD will increase as we are adding numbers whose difference between Mean the corresponding new adding number is maximum i.e the difference is >= the max difference between any two numbers prior to the adding of the two new numbers.

Now with Option 1

I know that the numbers are closer to mean so SD will decrease, but here can i generalize always that for SD to increase the two new added numbers must be such that the difference between the two new added numbers and the mean must always be >=6 or it is enough if the difference between one new added number (among the two numbers) and the mean is >=6 ?

I think i am making things complex, but don't know somehow got confused....

Thanks in advance

Regards
Srinath

Mean of the above set would be = 15

so if the number added are closer to the mean then SD will decrease and vice-versa.
=> 14,16 will lower SD and other two would increase as copared to 14,16, but i think 15,100 would increase SD to the most, so i got confused as in which set to should be take as base to compare.

Please Clarify people !!

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618921 [10]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Which of the following pairs of numbers, when added to the set above, [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Re: Which of the following pairs of numbers, when added to the set above, [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi GMATInsight,

Please could you help me with this question...as I am a bit weak in stats.

Rule 1: If the new terms included in the set are at a Higher distance from mean than the Standard Deviation will INCREASE

I want to know do we need to calculate the mean again after adding the new variables. I ask this question because you mentioned 'New Terms (9,21) are at MORE Distance (greater than 3)' , which are actually 6 units away from the mean.

Thank you in advance.

GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
{9, 12, 15, 18, 21}
Which of the following pairs of numbers, when added to the set above, will increase the standard deviation of the set?

I. 14, 16
II. 9, 21
III. 15, 100

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II
(D) II and III
(E) I, II, and III

Kudos for a correct solution.

CONCEPT:Standard Deviation represents Average Deviation of the terms from the mean of the set

Rule 1: If the new terms included in the set are at a Higher distance from mean than the Standard Deviation will INCREASE
Rule 2: If the new terms included in the set are at a Lower distance from mean than the Standard Deviation will DECREASE

Set - {9, 12, 15, 18, 21} i.e. Mean = 15 (Middle Term as all terms are equally separated) and Deviation between consecutive terms = 3

I - New Set Becomes {9, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 21} i.e. New Terms (14,16) are closer to the Mean of the set Hence Standard Deviation will DECREASE

II - New Set Becomes {9, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21} i.e. New Terms (9,21) are at MORE Distance (greater than 3) from the Mean of the set Hence Standard Deviation will INCREASE

III - New Set Becomes {9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 51, 100} i.e. New Terms (51,100) are at FAR MORE Distance from the Mean of the set Hence Standard Deviation will INCREASE

Answer: Option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Hi GMATInsight,

Please could you help me with this question...as I am a bit weak in stats.

I want to know do we need to calculate the mean again after adding the new variables. I ask this question because you mentioned 'New Terms (9,21) are at MORE Distance (greater than 3)' , which are actually 6 units away from the mean.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, You are right about your comment.

We don't have to calculate the New mean but look at the new set from the perspective of Mean of Old set only. The fact to observe is

Old set had consecutive terms at a gap of 3

The new terms 9 and 21, are at a gap higher than 3 from the previous mean (gap between 9 and 15=6 and similarly gap between 15 and 21 = 6), then the average deviation will automatically increase thereby increasing the standard deviation.

I hope it clears your doubt!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618921 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
{9, 12, 15, 18, 21}

I. 14, 16
II. 9, 21
III. 15, 100

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II
(D) II and III
(E) I, II, and III

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Fortunately, you do not need to perform any calculations to answer this question. The mean of the set is 15. Take a look at each Roman Numeral:

I. The numbers 14 and 16 are both very close to the mean (15). Additionally, they are closer to the mean than four of the numbers in the set, and will reduce the spread around the mean. This pair of numbers will reduce the standard deviation of the set.

II. The numbers 9 and 21 are relatively far away from the mean (15). Adding them to the list will increase the spread of the set and increase the standard deviation.

III. While adding the number 15 to the set would actually decrease the standard deviation (because it is the same as the mean of the set), the number 100 is so far away from the mean that it will greatly increase the standard deviation of the set. This pair of numbers will increase the standard deviation.

Answer: D.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618921 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
{9, 12, 15, 18, 21}

I. 14, 16
II. 9, 21
III. 15, 100

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II
(D) II and III
(E) I, II, and III

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Fortunately, you do not need to perform any calculations to answer this question. The mean of the set is 15. Take a look at each Roman Numeral:

I. The numbers 14 and 16 are both very close to the mean (15). Additionally, they are closer to the mean than four of the numbers in the set, and will reduce the spread around the mean. This pair of numbers will reduce the standard deviation of the set.

II. The numbers 9 and 21 are relatively far away from the mean (15). Adding them to the list will increase the spread of the set and increase the standard deviation.

III. While adding the number 15 to the set would actually decrease the standard deviation (because it is the same as the mean of the set), the number 100 is so far away from the mean that it will greatly increase the standard deviation of the set. This pair of numbers will increase the standard deviation.

Answer: D.

Check other Standard Deviation Questions in our Special Questions Directory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Which of the following pairs of numbers, when added to the set above, [#permalink]
Hi guys,

I am a little bit confused here. Why does the II variant increase the SD? we already have 9 and 21 in our set, so what difference will the same numbers make? I am using the Manhattan Word Problems book and i couldn't find the answer there. Heeeelp!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618921 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alexkarpava wrote:
Hi guys,

I am a little bit confused here. Why does the II variant increase the SD? we already have 9 and 21 in our set, so what difference will the same numbers make? I am using the Manhattan Word Problems book and i couldn't find the answer there. Heeeelp!

Say we have a single-element set {10}. The standard deviation of a single-element set is 0. Now, consider adding another element 10 to the set: {10, 10}. The standard deviation of {10, 10} is more than 0. So, adding elements which are already in the, not always, but could increase the SD.

For more check links provided here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/which-of-the ... l#p1540983
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
WE:Advertising (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
­KarishmaB Can you please provide us with your answer to this question? Thank you   :please:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64908 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mydreammba wrote:
(9,12,15,18,21)

I. 14, 16
II. 9, 21
III. 15, 100

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II
(D) II and III
(E) I, II, and III

Hi Bunnel,

I am confused with a small concept. Can you please help with this below concept?

This is a problem from Manhattan 13th Edition

consider Set {9,12,15,18,21}

1. 14, 16
2. 9, 21
3. 15, 100

Here is my reasoning

I know that with Options 2 & Option 3 the SD will increase as we are adding numbers whose difference between Mean the corresponding new adding number is maximum i.e the difference is >= the max difference between any two numbers prior to the adding of the two new numbers.

Now with Option 1

I know that the numbers are closer to mean so SD will decrease, but here can i generalize always that for SD to increase the two new added numbers must be such that the difference between the two new added numbers and the mean must always be >=6 or it is enough if the difference between one new added number (among the two numbers) and the mean is >=6 ?

I think i am making things complex, but don't know somehow got confused....

Thanks in advance

Regards
Srinath

When numbers are added close to the mean, the SD decreases and when­ they are added close to the extremes, SD increases. 

Check out this video for an explanation:
https://youtu.be/0E6FQMzQVj0

Set {9,12,15,18,21}

Mean here is 15.

I. 14, 16 - Both close to the mean. SD will decrease.

II. 9, 21 - Both at the extreme. SD will increase. 

III. 15, 100 - One at the mean so SD will decrease a bit but the other is far far away from the extreme. The SD will jump up when 100 is added. SD will overall increase.

So (II) and (III)
Answer (D)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Hello All,

Is there any other way of solving this problem, without looking at the mean or without calculating mean.
I am asking this question because I saw certain DI table questions, In which a big table is provided and similar to this three answer choices were given each discussing the impact on SD by adding the numbers in the table...In those type of questions, It is hard to calculate the mean.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts