Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2011
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 37

Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 02:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (02:42) correct 68% (01:18) wrong based on 343 sessions
Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 10^(-4) than to 10^(-1).
(2) x is more close to 10^(-3) than to 10^(-1).
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: DS: exponents [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 03:45
Not sure if this is the correct way of tackling this qns but this is how I did it.

I take all the 10^(-X) out and just take the qns as :

Which of the two values 2 and 3, is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 4 than to 1.
(2) x is more close to 3 than to 1.


If we draw a number line,

1 ---- 2 ---- 3 ---- 4 ,

statement 1 says that X is closer to 4 than 1, so, X is definitely to the right side of 2.5

1---- 2 --2.5-- 3 ---- 4
X
Statement 1 is SUFFICIENT.
Since Statement 1 is sufficient, Option B, C and E are out. Answer can only be A or D.

Statement 2 says X is closer to 3 than to 1. Which means X is larger than 2

1---- 2 ---- 3
X
(but we don't know if X is closer to 2 or 3).
Thus, Statement 2 INSUFFICIENT.

IMO, A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 292
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: DS: exponents [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 03:50
Hi,

IMOA D

Statement 1 :
X is closer to 10^-4 thus X will be definately closer to 10^-3 than 10^-2
Thus sufficient

Statement 2 :
X is closer to 10^-3 which is sufficient

Hence D

Hope this helps
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: DS: exponents [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 04:33
boomtangboy wrote:
Hi,

IMOA D

Statement 1 :
X is closer to 10^-4 thus X will be definately closer to 10^-3 than 10^-2
Thus sufficient

Statement 2 :
X is closer to 10^-3 which is sufficient

Hence D

Hope this helps



Statement 2 does mention that X is closer to 10^-3 compared to 10^-1

Thus, in actual fact, Statement 2 could be saying that X = 10^-2.1 (which is closer to 10^-3 compared to 10^-1, but closer to 10^-2 compared to 10^-3).
At the same time, Statement 2 could be saying that X = 10^-2.9 (which is closer to 10^-3 compared to 10^-1, but closer to 10^-3 compared to 10^-2).

This was why I thought that Statement 2 was Insufficient. Hence, IMO = A
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23409
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28917 [5] , given: 2871

Re: DS: exponents [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 05:02
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Smita04 wrote:
Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 10^(-4) than to 10^(-1).
(2) x is more close to 10^(-3) than to 10^(-1).


10^(-4), 10^(-3), 10^(-2) and 10^(-1) are positioned on the number line in the following way:

-(0,0001)-(0.001)---------(0.01)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------(0.1)-

Question asks which of the two middle numbers x is closer to.

(1) says that x closer to the first number than to the fourth, but it could be anywhere between the two middle numbers. Not sufficient.

(2) says that x closer to the second number than to the fourth, but it could be anywhere between the two middle numbers. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) x could still be anywhere between the two middle numbers, so we cannot say which number x is more close to. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

P.S. You can consider easier numbers to manipulate with:

-(1)-(10)---------(100)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------(1000)-
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23409
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28917 [0], given: 2871

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 03:47
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Exponents: math-number-theory-88376.html

All DS Exponents questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=39
All PS Exponents questions to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=60

Tough and tricky DS exponents and roots questions with detailed solutions: tough-and-tricky-exponents-and-roots-questions-125967.html
Tough and tricky PS exponents and roots questions with detailed solutions: tough-and-tricky-exponents-and-roots-questions-125956.html

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 213
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 209

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 02:32
can anybody help with the above solution please.

number line = \frac{1}{10000}---- \frac{1}{1000} -- | --\frac{1}{100} ----\frac{1}{10}


(1) x is more closer to \frac{1}{10000} than to \frac{1}{10}

for this to be true shouldn't x have to be to the left of the center marked as | above and if x is the left of the center ,then shouldn't x be closer to \frac{1}{1000}than to \frac{1}{100}

I fail to see how x can be anywhere between \frac{1}{1000} and \frac{1}{100}and still be closer to \frac{1}{10000} than to \frac{1}{10}

lets say x is between \frac{1}{1000} and \frac{1}{100} but just slightly to the left of \frac{1}{100}, say x = \frac{1}{101}
now here x lies as shown \frac{1}{1000} -- | -- \frac{1}{101} --\frac{1}{100} so here it looks x is between 10^{-3} and 10 ^{-2} but closer to \frac{1}{10}, so this doesn't satisfy statement 1

lets say x =\frac{1}{999}here the position of x = \frac{1}{10000}---- \frac{1}{1000} --\frac{1}{999} --- | --\frac{1}{100} ----\frac{1}{10}

so here statement 1 holds and x is closer to \frac{1}{10000} .

So it seems to me for statement 1 to hold x has to be to the left of the center , marked as |in the number line, and in that case x will be closer to \frac{1}{1000} than to \frac{1}{100}, anywhere to the right of | and x becomes closer to \frac{1}{10} violating statement1 , so x has to be to the left of | for statement 1 to be true. so I am getting A as sufficient . Can anybody assist please?

thanks
_________________

- Stne

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23409
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28917 [1] , given: 2871

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 03:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:
can anybody help with the above solution please.

number line = \frac{1}{10000}---- \frac{1}{1000} -- | --\frac{1}{100} ----\frac{1}{10}


(1) x is more closer to \frac{1}{10000} than to \frac{1}{10}

for this to be true shouldn't x have to be to the left of the center marked as | above and if x is the left of the center ,then shouldn't x be closer to \frac{1}{1000}than to \frac{1}{100}

I fail to see how x can be anywhere between \frac{1}{1000} and \frac{1}{100}and still be closer to \frac{1}{10000} than to \frac{1}{10}

lets say x is between \frac{1}{1000} and \frac{1}{100} but just slightly to the left of \frac{1}{100}, say x = \frac{1}{101}
now here x lies as shown \frac{1}{1000} -- | -- \frac{1}{101} --\frac{1}{100} so here it looks x is between 10^{-3} and 10 ^{-2} but closer to \frac{1}{10}, so this doesn't satisfy statement 1

lets say x =\frac{1}{999}here the position of x = \frac{1}{10000}---- \frac{1}{1000} --\frac{1}{999} --- | --\frac{1}{100} ----\frac{1}{10}

so here statement 1 holds and x is closer to \frac{1}{10000} .

So it seems to me for statement 1 to hold x has to be to the left of the center , marked as |in the number line, and in that case x will be closer to \frac{1}{1000} than to \frac{1}{100}, anywhere to the right of | and x becomes closer to \frac{1}{10} violating statement1 , so x has to be to the left of | for statement 1 to be true. so I am getting A as sufficient . Can anybody assist please?

thanks


Which of the two values 0.01 and 0.001, is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 0.0001 than to 0.1.
(2) x is more close to 0.001 than to 0.1.

Relative positioning on the number line might help:
Attachment:
Number line.png
Number line.png [ 18.55 KiB | Viewed 2170 times ]

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 213
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 209

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 04:16
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:
can anybody help with the above solution please.

number line = \frac{1}{10000}---- \frac{1}{1000} -- | --\frac{1}{100} ----\frac{1}{10}


(1) x is more closer to \frac{1}{10000} than to \frac{1}{10}

for this to be true shouldn't x have to be to the left of the center marked as | above and if x is the left of the center ,then shouldn't x be closer to \frac{1}{1000}than to \frac{1}{100}

I fail to see how x can be anywhere between \frac{1}{1000} and \frac{1}{100}and still be closer to \frac{1}{10000} than to \frac{1}{10}

lets say x is between \frac{1}{1000} and \frac{1}{100} but just slightly to the left of \frac{1}{100}, say x = \frac{1}{101}
now here x lies as shown \frac{1}{1000} -- | -- \frac{1}{101} --\frac{1}{100} so here it looks x is between 10^{-3} and 10 ^{-2} but closer to \frac{1}{10}, so this doesn't satisfy statement 1

lets say x =\frac{1}{999}here the position of x = \frac{1}{10000}---- \frac{1}{1000} --\frac{1}{999} --- | --\frac{1}{100} ----\frac{1}{10}

so here statement 1 holds and x is closer to \frac{1}{10000} .

So it seems to me for statement 1 to hold x has to be to the left of the center , marked as |in the number line, and in that case x will be closer to \frac{1}{1000} than to \frac{1}{100}, anywhere to the right of | and x becomes closer to \frac{1}{10} violating statement1 , so x has to be to the left of | for statement 1 to be true. so I am getting A as sufficient . Can anybody assist please?

thanks


Which of the two values 0.01 and 0.001, is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 0.0001 than to 0.1.
(2) x is more close to 0.001 than to 0.1.

Relative positioning on the number line might help:Image


Thank you finally got it !
didn't realize that there was so much in between 0.00 and .02

Well if I have understood the diagram above correctly then for statement 1 to be true x need not necessarily have to be in between .001 and .01 in fact for statement 1 to hold x could also be to the left of .001 and slightly to the right of .01 as we can see from the figure,Even if x is slightly to the right of .01 and to the left of .001, x could still be closer to .00001 than to .1

is this deduction correct?

So statement 1 holds if x is anywhere in between .001 and.01 and also holds if x is left of .001 and slightly to the right of .01.
So we can see that we cannot say for sure whether x is closer to .001 or .01, hence insufficient.

Please do correct if x cannot also be slightly to the right of .01

Thank you
_________________

- Stne


Last edited by stne on 17 Aug 2013, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23409
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28917 [0], given: 2871

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 04:51
Expert's post
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:
can anybody help with the above solution please.

number line = \frac{1}{10000}---- \frac{1}{1000} -- | --\frac{1}{100} ----\frac{1}{10}


(1) x is more closer to \frac{1}{10000} than to \frac{1}{10}

for this to be true shouldn't x have to be to the left of the center marked as | above and if x is the left of the center ,then shouldn't x be closer to \frac{1}{1000}than to \frac{1}{100}

I fail to see how x can be anywhere between \frac{1}{1000} and \frac{1}{100}and still be closer to \frac{1}{10000} than to \frac{1}{10}

lets say x is between \frac{1}{1000} and \frac{1}{100} but just slightly to the left of \frac{1}{100}, say x = \frac{1}{101}
now here x lies as shown \frac{1}{1000} -- | -- \frac{1}{101} --\frac{1}{100} so here it looks x is between 10^{-3} and 10 ^{-2} but closer to \frac{1}{10}, so this doesn't satisfy statement 1

lets say x =\frac{1}{999}here the position of x = \frac{1}{10000}---- \frac{1}{1000} --\frac{1}{999} --- | --\frac{1}{100} ----\frac{1}{10}

so here statement 1 holds and x is closer to \frac{1}{10000} .

So it seems to me for statement 1 to hold x has to be to the left of the center , marked as |in the number line, and in that case x will be closer to \frac{1}{1000} than to \frac{1}{100}, anywhere to the right of | and x becomes closer to \frac{1}{10} violating statement1 , so x has to be to the left of | for statement 1 to be true. so I am getting A as sufficient . Can anybody assist please?

thanks


Which of the two values 0.01 and 0.001, is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 0.0001 than to 0.1.
(2) x is more close to 0.001 than to 0.1.

Relative positioning on the number line might help:Image


Thank you finally got it !
didn't realize that there was so much in between .01 and .1

Well if I have understood the diagram above correctly then for statement 1 to be true x need not necessarily have to be in between .001 and .01 in fact for statement 1 to hold x could also be to the left of .001 and slightly to the right of .01 as we can see from the figure,Even if x is slightly to the right of .01 and to the left of .001, x could still be closer to .00001 than to .1

is this deduction correct?

So statement 1 holds if x is anywhere in between .001 and.01 and also holds if x is left of .001 and slightly to the right of .01.
So we can see that we cannot say for sure whether x is closer to .001 or .01, hence insufficient.

Please do correct if x cannot also be slightly to the right of .01

Thank you


Yes, x could be to the right of 0.01.

As, for the positioning of the points: it was also provided here: which-of-the-two-values-10-2-and-10-3-is-x-more-close-129498.html#p1063210
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Got Bling! Joined Phd Finance at IIML
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Posts: 99
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 39

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 08:36
Smita04 wrote:
Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 10^(-4) than to 10^(-1).
(2) x is more close to 10^(-3) than to 10^(-1).


seems obvious that A is by itself suff ( as hmyung sez) and even if you go for B actually independently 2 is correct so it shld be D as both are >2.5 and less than 3 , why woud some say E , negative exponents are like fractions ..
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23409
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28917 [0], given: 2871

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 08:38
Expert's post
docdrizzeally wrote:
Smita04 wrote:
Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 10^(-4) than to 10^(-1).
(2) x is more close to 10^(-3) than to 10^(-1).


seems obvious that A is by itself suff ( as hmyung sez) and even if you go for B actually independently 2 is correct so it shld be D as both are >2.5 and less than 3 , why woud some say E , negative exponents are like fractions ..


Please notice that the OA is E, not D.

Go through this: which-of-the-two-values-10-2-and-10-3-is-x-more-close-129498.html#p1063210 and this: which-of-the-two-values-10-2-and-10-3-is-x-more-close-129498.html#p1244446

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2012
Posts: 21
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 08:45
Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close to?
Is x closer to 10^-3 than 10-2?
Is x < (1/2)(1/100+1/1000)?
Is x < 11/2000?

1. x is more close to 10^(-4) than to 10^(-1).
x<(1/2)(1/10+1/10000)
x< (1001/20000)
This doesn't tell us if x <11/2000 since 1001/20000 > 11/2000. Not sufficient.

2. x is more close to 10^(-3) than to 10^(-1).
x<(1/2)(1/10+1/1000)
x<101/2000
Still doesn't tell us if x< 11/2000. Not sufficient.

1 and 2. 2 follows from 1 so no new information is introduced by combining them. Not sufficient. Answer is E.

My method is probably not the best way to do it because there's room for error doing the arithmetic and it may take too long on the actual test. But I don't like drawing number lines.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 13:27
Quick solution: draw a number line, plug in X = 10^(-2) and X = 10^(-3), and realize that both scenarios satisfy both statements.

Thus, even given both statements you cannot distinguish between the two most extreme cases X = 10^(-2) (where X must be closer to 10^(-2)) and X = 10^(-3) (where X must be closer to 10^(-3))

Therefore answer is E.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 37

Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2014, 05:55
Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close to?

(1) x is more close to 10^(-4) than to 10^(-1).
(2) x is more close to 10^(-3) than to 10^(-1).


When we draw a line between 10^(-4) and 10^(-1) and placed X, if X any side of this middle line X is belong to that side. For example X is on the side of 10^(-4) then is will be close to 10^(-3) . Because this middle line will be also same mid line between 10^(-3) and 10^(-2) . So A should be sufficient.

We can not say same issue for B. Because middle line between 10^(-3) and 10^(-1) is passing through 10^(-2). X could be placed any point between 10^(-3) and 10^(-2) and could be more close to 10^(-3) than to 10^(-2). So B is unsufficient.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 21:01
This is the way I solved it (please help me understand the error if my technique/answer is incorrect)

Convert everything to 10^(-4).

So the question becomes "Which of the two values 100 X 10^(-4) and 10 X 10^(-4), is x more close to?"

(1) x is more close to 1 X 10^(-4) than to 10,000 X 10^(-4).

- So X could be 55 X 10^(-4), it is closer to 1 X 10^(-4) as stat. 1 requires, but right in between 100 X 10^(-4) and 10 X 10^(-4)
- If X is 56 X 10^(-4), it is closer to 100 X 10^(-4)
- If X is 54 X 10^(-4), it is closer to 10 X 10^(-4)

- Insufficient

(2) x is more close to 10 X 10^(-4) than to 1000 X 10^(-4)
- Once again, X could be 55 X 10^(-4) and we can use the same analysis as above.

(1) + (2) - Use 55 X 10^(-4) once again, which satisfies both (1) and (2) and still not clarify whether X is closer to 100 X 10^(-4) or 10 X 10^(-4)

Therefore, the answer is E.
Re: Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2014, 21:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
03 10^2 4 10^-2 = .000296 2.96 10^3 .296 10^2 .296 .00296 alimad 1 10 Nov 2007, 06:07
10^8 - 10^2 --------------- 10^7 - 10^3 approximately equals successstory 1 27 Jan 2007, 22:47
Is number A more close to 10^(-2) or 10^(-3)? (1) A is more gmat_crack 2 08 Apr 2006, 21:59
If (3 x 10^2) + (5 x 10^2) + (2 x 10^2) = k x 10^3, then k = gamjatang 2 19 Nov 2005, 07:09
What is the range of (1/101 + 1/102 + 1/103 + +1/150)? rahulraao 10 05 Oct 2005, 02:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Which of the two values 10^(-2) and 10^(-3), is x more close

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.