Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2015, 14:40
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 09:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

93% (01:25) correct 7% (00:37) wrong based on 61 sessions
Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive integer x such that 3^x is a factor of 27^5?

(A) 5
(B) 8
(C) 10
(D) 15
(E) 19

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the answer is 15 but all it says is 27^5= (3^3)^5 = 3^15 so 15 is the answer..

Can anyone explain this better? Also am i posting in the right area when i have questions like this?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 13 May 2013, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to PS forum, renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: help please! i don't understand this. [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 09:44
basker561 wrote:
I'm new to this site so i'm probably posting in the wrong area. but i have a question that my book gave a horrible explanation on how to solve..

Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive integer x such that 3^x is a factor of 27^5?

Can anyone explain this better? Also am i posting in the right area when i have questions like this?

Hi Basker!

For the above question, as the solution states \(27^5 = 3^15\)
Now \(3^x\) being a factor of\(3^15\) i.e \(3^x\) is to divide \(3^15\) with 0 remainder. If the question simply stated the possible range of x, the answer would be {0...15} The greatest value of the set is 15 and if x > 15, then it wouldn't be a factor anymore, it would become a multiple!

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Arpan

Feed me some KUDOS! :) :) *always hungry*

My Thread : Recommendation Letters

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 344

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2015, 13:50
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 148

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 57

Re: Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2015, 20:30
Expert's post
Hi All,

While this question is a couple of years old, it DOES showcase a particular Exponent-rule 'concept' that you're almost certain to face on the Official GMAT: re-writing a "base" when dealing with exponents...

Any time the 'base value' is a positive integer that is not 1 and is not prime, it has the potential to be rewritten...

Here, we're dealing with 27^5....

27 = (3)(3)(3) = 3^3, so we can re-write that base as...

(3^3)^5

Here, we have a 'power to a power', which means we can multiply the two exponent values....

(3)(5) = 15

So...(3^3)^5 = 3^15

This is just one of several Exponent rules that you need to know for Test Day. While you're not going to be tested on every rule, having the overall knowledge and the ability to manipulate the numbers will help you to pick up the handful of Exponent rule questions you'll face on the GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Official Guide 2016 Question Breakdown:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/empowergmat-blog-198415.html#p1527977

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

EMPOWERgmat Podcast - A Wild Secret About The GMAT Algorithm

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 47

Premium Member
Re: Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2015, 13:09
Please tag Divisibility/Factors/Multiples
thank you
basker561 wrote:

(A) 5
(B) 8
(C) 10
(D) 15
(E) 19

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Ankit
You must Believe

GMAT Quant Tutor
How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
Gmatclub Topic Tags
Check out my GMAT debrief

Quant Formula Sheet

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems || Inequalities

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2015, 22:17
basker561 wrote:

(A) 5
(B) 8
(C) 10
(D) 15
(E) 19

[Reveal] Spoiler:

27 = 3*3*3= 3^3
27^5 =(3^3)^5
=3^15
we have to find the greatest positive integer value for x
when x=15, it divides exactly once and that is the least positive integer value of the quotient
therefore, the correct option is D
Re: Which one of the following numbers is the greatest positive   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2015, 22:17