Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which online MBA program is the best?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which online MBA program is the best? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 11:02
Hi. I am just getting started on this journey and am looking to do an MBA program online. My undergrad is in Humanities with minors in English and Medieval Studies, so to say I am a little out of my comfort zone is an understatement. Right now with my work schedule I think that online programs are the only way that I will be able to do it. Also, money is a huge consideration. Any recommendations or insight would be helpful. Thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Which online MBA program is the best? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 11:11
jenowugrad wrote:
Hi. I am just getting started on this journey and am looking to do an MBA program online. My undergrad is in Humanities with minors in English and Medieval Studies, so to say I am a little out of my comfort zone is an understatement. Right now with my work schedule I think that online programs are the only way that I will be able to do it. Also, money is a huge consideration. Any recommendations or insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Why do you want an MBA? What are your goals?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Which online MBA program is the best? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 11:52
The best partially-online MBA is probably the Duke CCMBA, but it's somewhat closer to an EMBA and requires several residencies. The best fully online MBAs in the US are probably Indiana or UNC, depending on which programme you prefer. None of these programmes are cheap though, unless you're an IN or NC resident. You might be better off going to a local p/t MBA if you live within commuting distance of a good B-school. Depending on your goals, (you mention you are not very comfortable with business) a p/t or online MBA may not do too much for you if you want to change careers.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

Re: Which online MBA program is the best? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 14:38
jenowugrad wrote:

A friend of mine just finished the Kelley/Indiana online program and was very happy with it.

The thing is, online MBAs seem good in the way a part-time or professional MBA is good - for people who are already working in their target field and need a degree for advancement without the career interruption. Since you mentioned your background in Humanities and this being out of your comfort zone, are you trying to switch careers? I wouldn't recommend an online program then.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Which online MBA program is the best? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 07:48
I am currently working at Bank of America. I like working here, but definitely want to move up quickly. I was thinking that getting a MBA would be a good way to do that.

Honestly, I can't afford the higher price schools and also don't seem myself getting the same return from them. I also can't afford to quit my job and go to any school ft on campus either.

The only campus close to me is University of Delaware and their program is not accredited through AACSB. Also, I work 10am-7pm, which limits any classes I could take in person.

Is getting an MBA online even worth my time then?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q34 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Which online MBA program is the best? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 06:21
jxcho wrote:
The best partially-online MBA is probably the Duke CCMBA, but it's somewhat closer to an EMBA and requires several residencies. The best fully online MBAs in the US are probably Indiana or UNC, depending on which programme you prefer. None of these programmes are cheap though, unless you're an IN or NC resident. You might be better off going to a local p/t MBA if you live within commuting distance of a good B-school. Depending on your goals, (you mention you are not very comfortable with business) a p/t or online MBA may not do too much for you if you want to change careers.

Your statement about IN or NC residency status is false for their online formats. Neither school makes a distinction as to in state or out of state with regards to tuition for their online format.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q34 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Which online MBA program is the best? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 06:45
jenowugrad wrote:
I am currently working at Bank of America. I like working here, but definitely want to move up quickly. I was thinking that getting a MBA would be a good way to do that.

Honestly, I can't afford the higher price schools and also don't seem myself getting the same return from them. I also can't afford to quit my job and go to any school ft on campus either.

The only campus close to me is University of Delaware and their program is not accredited through AACSB. Also, I work 10am-7pm, which limits any classes I could take in person.

Is getting an MBA online even worth my time then?

Hello jenowugrad,

I have done exhaustive research into online MBA programs and feel comfortable in providing some advice here. As another poster mentioned, if you are trying to change industries online MBA is not the most effective way to do that, but if you are simply looking to move up within BOA than online should suit your needs. You need to figure what you want to accomplish because all top quality programs are looking for future leaders of business that will enhance their brand and eventually give back to the school. Just saying "I want to advance my career more quickly" will not convince an adcom that you will succeed at their school. You also mention cost as a prohibitive factor, how much are you willing to invest in your career? You tend to get what you pay for when it comes to B-School (as long as it is AACSB accredited). I would recommend looking into MBA@UNC, IU Kelley Direct, UF Hough, and ASU WP Carey. They are all AACSB accredited and all have solid brand recognition (because they put out quality graduates). If you are in banking already then UNC is a solid choice as Kenan-Flagler has a strong finance curriculum & BOA is a corporate recruiter of their graduates. ASU is known more for Supply Chain Management, UF is more of a regional brand that has some national recognition due to its high profile athletic department & IU's strength is general management & marketing...UF, IU, & ASU are all going to cost $50k+ & the UNC program is $90k+.

In your situation, I would talk with your manager or department head and discuss your career opportunities and how an MBA will fit into those opportunities & what other opportunities will open up with an MBA. What is your current role with BOA? What are you hoping to achieve with an MBA (other than accelerate your career progression)?

Cheers!
Re: Which online MBA program is the best?   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2013, 06:45