Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which path is best to go for top b-school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which path is best to go for top b-school? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 09:08
Hi!

I'd like to get suggestions what to do in the future.

That's me:

Roman, 23, from Austria.

I am about to graduate from the most popular b-school in Austria (not too hard :D).

main facts:

education:
- attended high school with a major in (Automation) Engineering
- Nr 19 out of 1700 in class (based on GPA) of my university
- Majoring in Strategic Management & Management Control/ Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- worked in university projects with Airbus(innovation) and A.T. Kearney (real consulting project with 200 employees company)
- Have spent a term abroad at UCF in Florida

work ex:
- 2 little summer internships in local companies during school
- (Army for 6 months)
- intern at little import/export company
- intern in management control department of 20.000 employees gambling machines manufacturer
- 1.5 years part-time work in little investment company alongside univesity
- intern in management control department of 1.000 employees sanitary company
- intern for Ernst & Young - Advisory, strategy consulting
- currently working for a 200 employee management consulting company (which is kind of big for Austria, McK, BCG isnt much bigger here) - in the non-profit, public, healthcare department (my company is nr1 in Austria in this sector)- alongside my last semester

extracurricular:
- soccer (former captain of my team)
- volleyball
- 2 years of semi professional poker alongside school (legal at age 18)
- University Management club
- volunteer fire brigade
- sales manager for a international student organization (AIESEC)

skills:
German - native
English - fluent
Croatian - good
Spanish - basic

Sooooo... I am currently planning to do a Gap Year, cause the McKinsey Recruiter told me that I should add a major company to my resume (I guess because my high school grades sucked extremly hard), but she meant if I add a good internship to my CV I'm fine.

My ultimate goal is to finally move to the US. That's all I want - and I love Consulting, so I thought it's best to work as a consultant in order to be able to attend a top b-school in the US and hopefully I can land a consulting job there.

My resume maybe sounds good to you, but in fact I'm pretty much of a borderline case, cause my grades arent that extraordinary and my high school grades really suck...

What do u think is the best path for this? Should I do a GAP-Year and pursue a masters degree in UK before starting to work fulltime? Should I try to apply for consulting companies and skip the masters degree (in Europe you usually pursue a Masters degree). I really dont know which way would be best...

I really appreciate your help!

Roman
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which path is best to go for top b-school? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 19:11
Expert's post
If your goal is consulting, then the MBA should probably be your pursuit, which means yes, you will need some Work Experience, but the good news is, your high school grades won't figure in, only your UG grades. I agree with the McKinsey recruiter--you need some solid work experience, preferrably with a marquee company or at least a fortune 100. Seek leadership opportunities and make an impact. These are the things not only business schools but also consulting companies will be impressed with.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews