Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Concentration: EE - Power Systems
Schools:McCombs, ISB, Insead, LBS
 Q47  V36 GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 1.5
WE 2: 5.5
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Which Questions to skip? - Strategy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
someone79 wrote:
Good strategy, but how much score do you think a person can achieve with this strategy.

I think this strategy may be good for 650+ range, but for a score over 750+ this may not work, but really, this is a very sound advice.

You should use this strategy when you know that timing will be a significant factor for you. If you find yourself rushing through the last few questions in almost every test, it is better to evenly spread out the 'guesses' rather than having them together at the end. The strategy works well for slow but conceptually strong people.
4-5 consecutive guesses are bad for your score. A guess sandwiched between 10 questions will be taken as an aberration. It doesn't affect your score much.
If you are good enough for a 750+ but a little slow, this strategy will ensure that you get as close as possible to that score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Gyanone. I have an other practice test left and I will try to implement your suggestions and see how it goes. Thanks for the help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
I will say that if you read a Q and have no idea how to go about solving it then move on.

However, if you are getting 10qs wrong in a row towards the end... it may mean time crunch but it also may mean that as the Qs are getting tougher you dont have the knowledge to answer them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
:shock: Wow!!! That hurt!!!!

It could be true. But every time I review my test, I do see that I can solve most of those questions (mostly under 2 mins).

Also, in MGMAT you can clearly see the difficulty level of these Qs. What I notice is the string of incorrect answers starts with 700-800 level, but goes on into the 600-700 range.
Not proud about it, just stating my observation :oops:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
vbetanabhatla wrote:
:shock: Wow!!! That hurt!!!!

It could be true. But every time I review my test, I do see that I can solve most of those questions (mostly under 2 mins).

Also, in MGMAT you can clearly see the difficulty level of these Qs. What I notice is the string of incorrect answers starts with 700-800 level, but goes on into the 600-700 range.
Not proud about it, just stating my observation :oops:

Not meant to sting or anything just another point of view. I stuggle with the same... MGMAT 700-800 Qs kill my score... I get frustrated and then start missing some 600-700 Qs as well. As soon as my MGMAT course is over I will take 2 weeks to review everything and focus on their advanced book... then turn to the GMAT Club tests for some extra hard practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Good strategy, but how much score do you think a person can achieve with this strategy.

I think this strategy may be good for 650+ range, but for a score over 750+ this may not work, but really, this is a very sound advice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q33 V39
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GPA: 3.54
WE:Corporate Finance (Telecommunications)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

We call this strategy the 'Quick Punt'. We have a post describing this and other timing strategies in detail. I have given you the link at the end and am pulling out an extract from that post for you:

The “quick punt” strategy is one that you should consider employing if you know that timing will be a significant factor for you on the test. If you’re resigned to having to rush, the quick punt strategy can help you win the time battle. Here’s how you can employ this strategy:

- Plan to “punt” on a predetermined number of questions (1 out of every 10 or 1 out of every 12…basically 1/4 or 1/3 of the test) and consider those punts to be assets – you own them and can feel free to use them at your discretion.

- When you see a question that looks difficult or time-consuming, use your punt within the first 30 seconds or less of looking at it so that you can bank nearly the full two minutes to spread over the rest of that section. This way, you have more time available for the questions that you know you can answer correctly. And because you’ve already predetermined that you’d guess, you psychologically don’t have to feel like you’ve quit or failed – you’ve just strategically deployed an asset.

Good blog post. I've been having trouble with quant timing. I'm going to employ this strategy on my exam next week on 1-3 problems.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts