Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which recommenders would you recommend?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Which recommenders would you recommend? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 09:50
Well this is my situation. Have a total of 3 yrs work ex- 2 at Company A and for the last 1+ yrs at company B. Believe it or not, I have had 4 managers in the last 3 yrs and my current manager has been supervising me for less than 3 months. I am not sure if I should get his reco as he has managed me for less than 3 months (though he has a Phd in economics and used to teach in a B-school before his current role). As my manager works out of Texas and I work in Ohio, he has assigned a colleage MR, who has known me for the whole 1+ yrs at company B (he was one of the guys who interviewed me) to be my "indirect" supervisor. I take sort of orders from him etc. I spoke to MR, who is currently doing his part time MBA, and he was VERY supportive and I believe that I will get an excellent reco from him. I have worked with him on various projects and have a huge initiative at work that both of us are working on together. So I can use his reco.

For the first 11 months at company B, I worked with BM, and she supports my plans as well. I can use her reco's too though the stories/anecdotes that she and MR use might sound similar.

The other option is using PS, a colleague of mine from company A, who worked with me on numerous projects and can write an in-depth reco, highlighting my strengths/weaknesses.

I dont think getting a reco from my previous managers at co A will be a good idea as I might have left on a not-so-positive note (switching companies, I am sure you guys understand :))

If you guys have worked your way through all this......

any suggestions or feedback on my choice of recommenders, MR, BM, and PS and explaining why I am not getting it from my current manager in the essays?
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 10:13
I'm too lazy to follow the characters in this play, but your current supervisor has not been your boss very long. While some schools really want your current manager, most claim to be satisfied with a substitution if you have a good reason. My current supervisor hadn't been my boss for long (and she didn't know anyone at the Johnson school, as my CEO does), so I just mentioned somewhere that I hadn't worked with her for very long, and no one seemed to care.

Pick recommenders who are going to tell the best story about you. Don't get too tied up in who they are. (Within certain guidelines: family and professors are usually no-no's. I don't know if I'd use a peer unless specifically asked, as in Stanford's app.)
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 10:21
i have a relatively new boss too (4 months at the moment). but i chose him to write my rec because i've known him since i started here over 2 years ago and he has been a peer on projects and an informal mentor.
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 07:52
Oh well now I am totally confused :(

My manager is in complete support of my MBA as well. He was talking about how one of his previous reports got into Chicago as he wanted to be in IB etc.

MY manager is pretty interesting though- Phd in Economics, professor at a B-school (not a top program by any means).

He should give a very good reco though he would have been my manager only for 6 months or so? Any problems because of that?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 12:55
dosa_don wrote:
Oh well now I am totally confused :(

My manager is in complete support of my MBA as well. He was talking about how one of his previous reports got into Chicago as he wanted to be in IB etc.

MY manager is pretty interesting though- Phd in Economics, professor at a B-school (not a top program by any means).

He should give a very good reco though he would have been my manager only for 6 months or so? Any problems because of that?

Generally, it is the trend that people take Reco's from the ones who know them for about a year or so.But if you dont find anyone, 6 months will also do.
  [#permalink] 11 Aug 2007, 12:55