Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which school and what are my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Which school and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 10:05
Hello everybody. I'm new to the site and appreciate the help and insight I've gained so far.

I am wondering as to my chances of getting into a good B-School given my somewhat unique background. I’d like to preface the following with admission that I am still new to the B-School preparation process and my main intent is to get a “big picture” of my opportunities.

I went to a reputable US engineering school; one that has been consistently ranked in the 7-15 range. I graduated with a 3.0 (2.975 to be exact) GPA with an upward trend, averaging 2.7 my first two years and 3.3 my last two.

After graduating, I began working as an engineer in the chemical processing industry with a focus in the chemical, pharmaceutical, and food industries. The company I work for is not small (20k+ employees worldwide), but has a much larger presence in Europe than it does in the States, and therefore may not be considered ear-catching or “sexy”.

As an engineer, I started doing design of processing equipment supplied to the likes of the behemoth chemical companies. My role gradually evolved and I took on more responsibility, from both a technical standpoint (doing R&D) and execution (managing my own small engineering projects). I turned the corner at the conclusion of one of my projects, where I stayed at a customer’s site for months conducting pilot trials as a consultant. I dedicated my time there optimizing the R&D while fostering a relationship with the customer and this eventually led to us winning a multi-million dollar contract.

I received a promotion to Project Manager about 3 years after hire, and my role in the company accelerated even faster. I was tasked to take on the more complicated, sensitive, or unique jobs, from both technical (lethal/dangerous service, one-offs) and political (difficult customers, consultants, etc.) standpoints. My manager enrolled me in the company’s PM development program in Europe, where I spent a week training and interacting with colleagues from around the world. It was a great experience.

I am now managing equipment/engineering supply contracts in the $10MM USD range, leading teams ranging from 5-15 people, and with customers, suppliers and colleagues around the world (predominantly France, Germany, Canada and Mexico). My next goal is to implement key PM procedures to streamline workflow, improve communication and reporting to upper management, and provide feedback to sales.

I intend to stay in the technology/engineering field, likely as a business analysis or project/program director, and have no plans to move into finance. Like most of us on this site, I aspire to attend the best school I can. Schools that interest me include UC Berkley - Haas, NYU – Stern, Georgetown – McDonough, UMD - Smith, Michigan - Ross and UCLA – Anderson.

My main question is what my chances are of getting into the aforementioned schools, as perceived by the GMATClub community, if there are any others that are strong in the tech/engr field that I should consider, and what GMAT score I should target given the things that I cannot change (GPA and current work experience).

My main concerns are my GPA and my work experience. My low GPA was not due to subpar ability but to lack of focus. I plan to address this head-on in any interviews and supplemental essays. The reason I am concerned (or rather unsure) of the value of my work experience is because I do not fit the mold of typical applications that I’ve seen. It seems that many public profiles indicate experience in the accounting/financial/business fields and/or people that have held many positions, switching jobs every 2 years or so. I prefer to dedicate time to my position, to learn the business and the people, and to develop, carry out, and follow-up on all my projects. This shows on my resume, as I’ve only worked for 1 company, and held 2 positions, for the past ~5 years. Will this negatively affect my chances?

Any and all insight is appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Which school and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 12:31
So, it seems like the TLDR version is this (correct me if I'm wrong):

You got your degree from a top engineering school (good) with a 3.0 GPA (bad), albeit with an upward trend (good). You now work in engineering at a big, but no-name firm (probably not a big deal outside HSW), have been promoted once (sweet), and are responsible for managing contracts that are worth big bucks (awesome). Looking forward, you want to continue in technology/engineering as a business analyst or program director (umm... see below).

How'd I do?

Assuming the above is true, I have a few questions: Why a full-time MBA? If you're pretty happy with your career path, could a part-time MBA suffice? Also, do you really need a top-tier full-time MBA to be a business analyst or project manager? In my experience, people don't need MBAs to go down that path (and may pursue the PMP credential instead).

If you do find you are sure you want to go full-time, I'd also suggest you look into Sloan. It's LGO program may be right up your alley, plus MIT as an institution is obviously well-known in both the technology and engineering worlds. Likewise, you may want to check out the Kellogg MMM program, although I don't know nearly as much about that.

All in all, I think your work experience keeps you competitive, but your GPA hurts you. I'd suggest aiming for 720+ on your GMAT to offset it. Have you considered taking additional math/stats classes online or at a local university to build an alternative transcript?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which school and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 14:34
Kingfalcon - thanks for your response.

kingfalcon wrote:
So, it seems like the TLDR version is this (correct me if I'm wrong):

You got your degree from a top engineering school (good) with a 3.0 GPA (bad), albeit with an upward trend (good). You now work in engineering at a big, but no-name firm (probably not a big deal outside HSW), have been promoted once (sweet), and are responsible for managing contracts that are worth big bucks (awesome). Looking forward, you want to continue in technology/engineering as a business analyst or program director (umm... see below).

How'd I do?

Bingo!

Quote:
Assuming the above is true, I have a few questions: Why a full-time MBA? If you're pretty happy with your career path, could a part-time MBA suffice? Also, do you really need a top-tier full-time MBA to be a business analyst or project manager? In my experience, people don't need MBAs to go down that path (and may pursue the PMP credential instead).

Why MBA (versus PMP)? I want to move above project management but I feel that my business skills are lacking. While I'm familiar with my company's business, I need to know more about businesses in general; how they're set-up from the beginning, how they grow and prosper, etc. It would help me land a job as an analyst/consultant at a larger company. There are also a number of intriguing start-ups that I'd like to be involved in and I feel like an MBA would help me understand their volatility. Overall, it would open doors.

Why full-time? My current position requires that I work long hours and travel, often over the weekends. I'd rather finish top of class full-time rather than struggling to stay average part-time. The networking opportunities are also a big plus.

Quote:
If you do find you are sure you want to go full-time, I'd also suggest you look into Sloan. It's LGO program may be right up your alley, plus MIT as an institution is obviously well-known in both the technology and engineering worlds. Likewise, you may want to check out the Kellogg MMM program, although I don't know nearly as much about that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into the programs you mentioned but getting a Masters in Engineering is not something I'd pursue.

Quote:
All in all, I think your work experience keeps you competitive, but your GPA hurts you. I'd suggest aiming for 720+ on your GMAT to offset it. Have you considered taking additional math/stats classes online or at a local university to build an alternative transcript?

My undergrad (engineering) was heavy with math and stat classes which I did well on. Would re-taking them add value?
Thanks for your suggestion on offsetting the low GPA with a 720+ GMAT. The saying "when we look for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice" rings true here. I'm glad to hear that you think my experience keeps me competitive. I had seen success stories of those with lower GPA's getting into top 10 schools, but the job descriptions are typically exotic and/or include working for the Armed Forces, neither of which would be present on my resumé.

The reason I am looking for suggestions as to where I apply is because while I am ambitious, I realize that I also need to be realistic. I saw a sound rule of thumb, for applying to schools, which read "2 that are reaches/dream schools, 2 that are competitive/attainable, and 1 that's a backup". Prior to taking the GMAT, I want to make sure that I am devoting my time and money to the schools within that scale, and not 5 "dream schools".

Keep 'em coming!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Which school and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 16:11
Your reasons make sense and it definitely seems like you have a good head on your shoulders. If not LGO, you may want to apply to Sloan outright. It does sound like it would be right in your wheelhouse. Also, if you already did very well in your quant classes, then no, you probably wouldn't get much benefit from building an alternative transcript (you have no low quant grades to improve upon). Of your list, Haas, Ross, and Anderson all sound like good fits given your goals. I don't see the appeal of the other schools, honestly. Have you considered Tepper at all? It has a pretty good reputation in tech and engineering from what I've heard.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.35

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Which school and what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 19:04
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into the programs you mentioned but getting a Masters in Engineering is not something I'd pursue.

The MMM program isn't a masters in engineering, it's a master's in engineering management + MBA.

Anyways, if you want a statistics based comparison, since essays/recommendations/interviews (I swear they're good!!) can't really be compared...

I graduated from a decent state school with a 3.35 in Mech Engineering, upward trend but with a F (for fantastic) on my freshman year transcipt. A meh 680 GMAT. I've worked in the construction industry doing MEP (air conditioning and plumbing systems baby, so yea my job is way less sexy than anything you're doing) engineering consulting for the past five years all with the same company. I got my professional engineering liscense this past year. One promotion on the resume.

I'd put Kellogg's MMM and MIT on the wish list for schools. I'd also look at possibly Duke/UNC for the procimity to Research Triangle Park. Texas is close to a nice Tech area in Austin. And if you're looking at Maryland, Georgia Tech (good engineering school) might be a consideration just from me checking some rankings.

You need to rock the GMAT to make up for the GPA, but your list looks fine. It's got a broad sliding scale on the rankings, which I like as an approach.
Re: Which school and what are my chances?   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2013, 19:04