Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 13:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

which school fits my resume'

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Georgia, Florida, Washington(st.louis), Texas A&M, Kentucky, Tulane
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

which school fits my resume' [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 09:02
Since the beginning of the summer I have been working 40 hr weeks and studing for 2-3 hours after work every day, then taking a practice test every weekend. For the first 5 weeks or so I was scoring a 570-590 and I just wanted to get a 600 to be able to get into the masters program I was looking into. Then I started looking at this forum and my score began to skyrocket.

As my scores were getting better I decided to talk to a professor of mine about my dream of teaching at said Uiversity (LSU). Just yesterday I got my 720 Q49 V38 and my dreams of becoming a professor are beginning to look very realistic. He suggested schools to me for my Phd that they would see as good schools to recruit from. We were hoping i would get a 700 and have a chance, but now that I got a 720 he suggest me taking it again with 0 pressure and see if I could do a little bit better.

I really wanted to thank everyone here that makes this forum so great, and now I am asing for a bit of advice. How much difference would it make for someone with a 3.6 GPA in finance to have a 740 rather than a 720? I know my GPA is low for a lot of top Phd programs and I am thinking that raising my score might not help because of my low GPA.

As of now I am thinking UGA, Florida, Ta&m, or Washington(st.Louis). Any ideas on my chances or other choices (if you cant tell I would like to stay in SouthEast US).

I would appreciate any help on any of my questions. I have time to think, but there is so much to think through.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: which school fits my resume' [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 09:37
ereims1 wrote:
I really wanted to thank everyone here that makes this forum so great, and now I am asing for a bit of advice. How much difference would it make for someone with a 3.6 GPA in finance to have a 740 rather than a 720? I know my GPA is low for a lot of top Phd programs and I am thinking that raising my score might not help because of my low GPA.

Are you looking for a PhD in Finance? I guess so but your post isn't too clear about it. My thoughts:

1) I'm not sure a GMAT re-take for a 720-to-740 jump is worth that much. To me, the best way to offset your GPA 'problem' would be to take a few graduate Econ (Econometrics, Microeconomics) or Math/stat (Stochastic calculus and so on) courses and shoot for top grades. The difference between a BA and an MA is significant, and the difference between MA and PHD is even greater, so whatever signaling you can do to show that you can perform in tough classes will be good. Another positive (ultimately more important than your chances of admission) is that those classes will help you a lot with early PhD coursework, as opposed to working some more on the GMAT, which won't help you much.

2) There's no common standard as to how professors evaluating your application deal with GMAT scores. The common thinking among students is that they just take the highest but there's not much evidence out there to support that statement. Some schools may average out recent scores or may only take the last one. In any case, I don't know whether the "0 pressure" assumption about your GMAT do-over is warranted. You also need to ask yourself how you are going to improve your score, i.e. were there any question types or areas that you blatantly left out? Given your comments it seems to me that your preparation was rather serious; you shouldn't overrate the "pressure" effect.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern

Re: which school fits my resume' [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 10:05
Thanks. Yea I agree. I have been really thinking about picking up calculus next semester to help me with math. I have taken a business calculus class, but it is nothing like the real deal.

I have begun thinking the same that taking the GMAT again prob won't help all that much. I didn't feel like I did my best on it (after taking the Q section felt like I was lookingat a 600 type score), but I doubt I could really improve it all that much.

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager

Re: which school fits my resume' [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 17:16
ereims1 wrote:
I have begun thinking the same that taking the GMAT again prob won't help all that much. I didn't feel like I did my best on it (after taking the Q section felt like I was lookingat a 600 type score), but I doubt I could really improve it all that much.

Again I don't know how those are exactly used, but Q49 is definitely good enough for a respectable PhD program in Finance. But unless you hit a 780 or something, you're not going to impress many people solely on the basis of the GMAT, especially if you're coming straight from a BBA where you feel you struggled a bit.
Intern
Intern

Re: which school fits my resume' [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 17:50
Quote:
Again I don't know how those are exactly used, but Q49 is definitely good enough for a respectable PhD program in Finance. But unless you hit a 780 or something, you're not going to impress many people solely on the basis of the GMAT, especially if you're coming straight from a BBA where you feel you struggled a bit.

I certainly don't think I struggled... I have the highest GPA f anyone I know, but I also know a 3.6 from LSU won't turn heads to a PhD program.
Manager
Manager

Re: which school fits my resume' [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 12:14
ereims1 wrote:
I certainly don't think I struggled... I have the highest GPA f anyone I know, but I also know a 3.6 from LSU won't turn heads to a PhD program.

Then leave out the "where you feel you struggled" part of my answer; the "straight from BBA" part is more important AFAIK.
Re: which school fits my resume'   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2009, 12:14