Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:46

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which school to take up

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 11:32
Hi,

I need advice on which school to choose from for the full time mba program - Fordham, Uni of Tennessee Knoxville, San Jose State University or San Francisco State University.......I have got through all of them...

I already got experience and I am looking at pursuing a career in marketing, can you please guide as to what would be a good school for me to have better opportunities when I pass out.....Coz i really want to work in the US after my mba.....

Please provide me with whatever you know.....

Thanks,
Kelvin
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 13:33
Hi Kelvin, honestly I think most people on this forum would have little to zero knowledge on the programs you listed. As I looked at these schools, I'm asking myself the question on why you chose these programs in the first place (east and west coasts). Did you have any reasons? I'm sure you had some and that you didn't just apply because you wanted to apply. Go back to your reasons in the beginning and ask yourself where would you want to be. Another advice is to look at their employment report and see to yourself who the top employers are, and what the statistics are. Obviously, if a school only sends about 1% of its graduates into marketing, it might be a warning sign for you since you want to get into marketing. Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 21:42
thanks, yes i do have my reasons. Firstly, my gmat was very low and I did try in some of the top colleges but didn't make it thru. West coast is my choice because I always wanted to live and work there, fordham is just another safe college.
To be honest out of the 4, fordham being located in Manhattan NYC, has the worst employment figures compared to the rest. Where as even Uni of Tenn KNox, has better figures. Also the cost of fordham is too much, indirectly my ROi is lower. So even though I'm based in nyc but it's not so promising depending on figures
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 05:58
If you don't care where you end up regionally, my guess is that Tennessee is the best of the names. Anytime a state school would be considered the top public school in a given state, you will have an easier time with job opportunities than if you went to a school like San Jose State, which is probably somewhere in the middle of the pack of California.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Intern
Intern

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 09:37
thx....so is sfsu better or sjsu ?
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 09:51
kelvinscale wrote:
thx....so is sfsu better or sjsu ?

What does your research so far tell you?

Consult the rankings and ask each school for job placement reports from the last few years.

Here's a few links, but they're pretty out of date because you're not going to find much analysis of smaller or lower-ranked programs.
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/03 ... s/sfst.htm
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/03 ... s/sjst.htm

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Intern
Intern

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 22:00
I got through UTK and SFSU. Now the problem is that UTK has ranked 60 in the US news and SFSU is not ranked at all.

Both have similar avg salaries. Good employment reports.

But SFSU is based in a large city and I don't know if being in Tennesee I would get a job after my study.

Please help me with some advice I'm in a fix.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 05:16
Reference my previous posts, as well as the advice you've gotten on all the other threads you've asked this question on.

Yeah, SFSU is in a big city, but you'd be competing against Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and even UCSD and USD grads for jobs in California. The SFSU grad isn't going to have much success against those schools in most situations.

Pick the school which consistently places the most people with the companies or career fields you want, and that is located in the region you'd most prefer to live. There's really no quantifiable difference in those two schools.

Intern
Intern

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:08
Both have good placements in the function line I am looking for and I personally want to live on west coast. But SFSU is not ranked and UTK is now 60th on ranks.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:14
If SFSU places well on the west coast go with that choice then. A #60 school isn't going to be very strong in job placement, especially on the other side of the country. An east coast school like Duke, UNC, NYU, or Cornell might be a different story, but a lower-tier or unranked school will most likely only be good for job placement in its own region.

Intern
Intern

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:22
but the employment stats of utk is good and it quite well known around the region. Also the cost of living at UTK is cheaper then doing it from SFSU, I also hear some ppl say SFSU is not that great for MBA but you see I don't have many options
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:26
I've given you my advice, then you've come back with "but this..." "but this..." a few times now.

Do whatever you want.

Intern
Intern

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 07:29
im just sharing as to what all I have heard.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:23
kelvin, in all honesty both these schools (tennessee and sf) are all regional schools that are good for the regional companies. Since you mentioned that you want to live on the west coast, there's absolutely no point to go to UTK, even if it's ranked. As long as SFSU can offer you what you ask for, it doesn't matter if it's ranked or not. Go with SFSU if you want to be on the west coast, full stop.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 09:37
Hi,

As someone who is based in the Bay Area, I would say that I've met a lot more Santa Clara University MBA graduates in pretty reputable positions around Silicon Valley. Have you thought of that as an option? I believe their application deadline is in June.

But, if you're not interested in applying to another school, I would push for San Jose State University instead of SFSU, again, because around here, I think a lot of people consider it a step up from SFSU.

Is waiting another year to apply an option? If you're really concerned about school ranks, perhaps taking the GMATs again?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 14

Re: Which school to take up [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 01:59
If you would like working in a state without a state income tax that, overall, has a low cost of living, go to UTK. If I don't get into the T25, I will most likely go to Tennessee.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Re: Which school to take up   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2011, 01:59