Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which school will help me with my decision making skills?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 10:24
Hi everyone. Hoping for some guidance: I've been super fortunate to be accepted to both Fuqua and Tuck. Want to do marketing, probably CPG or maybe strategic planning. Will be bringing a spouse who will need to find a job. Also, family ties are in the south. All of which point to Duke; however, the Tuck culture is really calling to me! The small class size and tight-knit community are right up my alley. Unfortunately, both school's ASW are the same weekend this year. No scholarship at either (wish that would have made the decision for me!) Thoughts?
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 10:35
I'm not too familiar with either school since I didn't apply to them, but I would say your best bet is to ask their career centers for job placement reports for the last few years and see which one does a better job putting grads into the jobs/locations you'd like to be in.

Then weigh that against job opportunities for your spouse, family considerations based on location, and cultures of the schools.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 10:51
ljh02 wrote:
Hi everyone. Hoping for some guidance: I've been super fortunate to be accepted to both Fuqua and Tuck. Want to do marketing, probably CPG or maybe strategic planning. Will be bringing a spouse who will need to find a job. Also, family ties are in the south. All of which point to Duke; however, the Tuck culture is really calling to me! The small class size and tight-knit community are right up my alley. Unfortunately, both school's ASW are the same weekend this year. No scholarship at either (wish that would have made the decision for me!) Thoughts?

A student told me that a spouse will have a hard time finding a job outside of the University. I think the university had a hiring freeze, don't know if it still does, so getting employment even with the university will be difficult. This is all hearsay of course. Not too many opportunities in Hanover from what this person said.

Don't know about Duke.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 10:54
I think it would be exponentially easier to find employment in the research triangle as opposed to Hanover.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 13:05
Definitely not an expert on this one, but when I went to interview at Tuck, I was surprised at the exclusivity of Dartmouth, in terms of location. I, too, think that it'll be much harder for your wife to find a decent job at Hanover, as opposed to the research triangle.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 13:25
As someone who is married herself, I have to say Duke. While the Tuck culture may be appealing to you personally, this decision is not just yours; you have to think about your spouse as well. I haven't been to Tuck, but from what everyone is saying, it is extremely isolated. You have to consider worse case scenario...i.e. your spouse doesn't find work and is stuck at home bored with nothing to do. I know that if it was my husband who was at Tuck and I was in Hanover unemployed, I would probably make his life a living nightmare (I'm not even kidding). At least at Duke (I have visited the campus before), you have family nearby and there are opportunities for your spouse to work.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 14:29
Thanks! My husband has a masters in education, so he could actually do education research thru Dartmouth, but obviously it would be better to find a real teaching position! The partners club is supposed to be really great, plus he loves to ski, but overall seems like Duke makes the most sense. Always good to hear what you were already thinking :) Good luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 16:10
ljh02 wrote:

While i Love Tuck, Duke is a much stronger school for CPG'S. It is a highly ranked school for marketing and all CPG companies go there. Kraft, P&g, Johnson & Johnson, etc... They have a real strong marketing program. I applied to both schools. They both have a tight knit community. I was really impressed with how the alumni was really helpful. I want to get into CPG and i have been in touch with one of the alumni for that purpose. I have not even received my decision from duke but the alumni is assisting me out... i was really impressed with the school...

I love Tuck too. But not a strong marketing school. Its a good school for consulting, investments, P.E.
Re: Which school will help me with my decision making skills?   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2011, 16:10