Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 01:04
I've been researching bschools for a while and I still can't quite pinpoint which school is the best for marketing positions in Asia, specifically China.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Best recruiting for positions in China.

Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 10

Re: Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 01:55
That are marketing-specific? Hmm... you may have some trouble with that unless you go to school in Asia or are originally from China. Marketing seems to be one of those disciplines that companies REALLY want local people, or those with significant understanding of the local market, over expats.

In my entirely anecdotal experience living and working in Taiwan I've come across a huge number of Booth alum, but they are mostly in finance. I've met people with Big 3, then Deloitte & other mid-tier consulting firms from Insead, Ross, UCLA and Haas. My company (Big 4) just hired someone from Kelley. But almost all of the actual marketing people I've met are local, with the exception of a few Europeans at European luxury companies (LVMH, Christian Dior, etc.)

Now I'm interested to hear if anyone has a stand-out program to recommend to you, as I have no idea which one it would be!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 02:05
I don't mind going to school in Asia, but my understanding is that everyone in Asia first places US / Europe schools before Chinese schools. Even Chinese people get their MBA's in the states =P

Sailorette wrote:
That are marketing-specific? Hmm... you may have some trouble with that unless you go to school in Asia or are originally from China. Marketing seems to be one of those disciplines that companies REALLY want local people, or those with significant understanding of the local market, over expats.

In my entirely anecdotal experience living and working in Taiwan I've come across a huge number of Booth alum, but they are mostly in finance. I've met people with Big 3, then Deloitte & other mid-tier consulting firms from Insead, Ross, UCLA and Haas. My company (Big 4) just hired someone from Kelley. But almost all of the actual marketing people I've met are local, with the exception of a few Europeans at European luxury companies (LVMH, Christian Dior, etc.)

Now I'm interested to hear if anyone has a stand-out program to recommend to you, as I have no idea which one it would be!
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 13:25
Outside of the super elite trio of H/S/W I would think that the West Coast schools (UCLA, Haas, Marshall) are your best bet since they tend to have a slight geographical advantage over the East Coast and may have closer ties with Asia. This thread I found on Google might help: http://www.find-mba.com/board/8197

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 14:14
I guess Kellogg in the US is the place for marketing, but not sure how strong their ties are to China.

I would not discount Asian b-schools. HKUST is probably one of the strongest programs out there.
http://www.mba.ust.hk/
They also have exchange programs with top US b-schools.

CEIBS in Shanghai is also well known.
http://www.ceibs.edu/mba/

If you do attend a US b-school make sure you go on exchange to an Asian b-school which will make it easier for you in terms of recruiting/interviewing.

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 10

Re: Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 17:42
This post received
KUDOS
doclkk wrote:
I don't mind going to school in Asia, but my understanding is that everyone in Asia first places US / Europe schools before Chinese schools. Even Chinese people get their MBA's in the states =P

Sure, companies hiring for operations, management, management consulting, and finance sometimes prefer the 'prestige' of a degree from overseas when hiring their MBAs. But marketing is a different ballgame.

Please take the following with a grain of salt, as I know nothing about your background, but have you lived in or spent time in Asia at all? China is an incredibly unique country with a very specific working environment and they are fiercely proud of that. So while they may seek out a 'white guy in a tie' occaisionally to earn some face (see: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... -guy/8119/ if you missed that brouha) it certainly isn't the norm. Unless you have significant marketing experience in Asia already, or signficant experience in the States and can find a position with a Chinese company wanting to now target the States, I think you'll find it really tough going. Probably 85% of business in the local market comes down to guanxi, which doesn't leave much room for waiguoren to make an impact.

Ditto exactly tmino's recommendations of HKUST and CEIBS from an Asia b-school perspective. Those programs are growing in prestige and have hired a number of very prominent American professors in recent years. Peking and Tsinghua are considered the best local ones, but (anecdotally) foreigners seem to struggle as it's more of a local education and I've heard professors slip back into Chinese at times. A number of classes at both are taught exclusively in Chinese.

Best of luck with your quest to make this happen! If you want to post more info about your background and more specifics about what type of marketing position you're interested in, I'd be happy to provide further information if possible.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain

Intern
Intern
Schools: IE
WE 1: IT Consultancy
WE 2: Public Gov Sector
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 20:20
I will go for one school in states and exchange to Asia, well China if you refer. Personally i dont think UCLA or any one at west are better than others. People in china are surprisingly good at naming those players, especially M7 or Ivy, compared to lots of people cross the sea still believe kellog is cereal.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 21:08
Have you considered Lauder? It would be your best option if you are a non native speaker of Mandarin.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Which schools have the best recruiting for positions in Asia   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2010, 21:08