Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which schools help arrange pre-MBA internships?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Which schools help arrange pre-MBA internships? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 12:50
Which schools help arrange/facilitate pre-MBA internships for admitted students who have agreed to matriculate? I have heard that Kellogg has done it in the past.

My GMAT debrief

Current Student
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.83
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Which schools help arrange pre-MBA internships? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 10:27
I too would like to learn more info on this.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [2] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Which schools help arrange pre-MBA internships? [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
Pre MBA internships are rarely arranged/facilitated by schools. Most people get their internships through their personal networks. The only case I can recall of a school facilitating an internship opportunity is a PE/VC summer internship for incoming first years at Kellogg. The internship is sponsored by an alums company and there aren't many placements.

Many large firms that recruit at top schools have workshops and a few internships over the summer. Many of these are geared toward diversity admits (URMs, women, military, LGBTQ) and are more 1-2 day "get to know the company" events rather than internships. I received a lot of notifications (oftentimes overlapping) about these opportunities from Wharton, Booth, and Kellogg last spring.

You have to remember that you're not really matriculated until you are officially enrolled. There are many people who commit to a school in the spring only to forfeit their deposit later in the summer to go elsewhere. While applicants are being admitted in the winter and spring, current students are looking for jobs and internships. Schools' career services resources are wholly dedicated to these students' efforts so there really isn't anything left to help a potential student find a pre MBA internship. Obviously I cannot speak for all schools, but this was my experience based on the schools to which I was admitted. Hope this helps.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Which schools help arrange pre-MBA internships? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 12:43
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Pre MBA internships are rarely arranged/facilitated by schools. Most people get their internships through their personal networks. The only case I can recall of a school facilitating an internship opportunity is a PE/VC summer internship for incoming first years at Kellogg. The internship is sponsored by an alums company and there aren't many placements.

Many large firms that recruit at top schools have workshops and a few internships over the summer. Many of these are geared toward diversity admits (URMs, women, military, LGBTQ) and are more 1-2 day "get to know the company" events rather than internships. I received a lot of notifications (oftentimes overlapping) about these opportunities from Wharton, Booth, and Kellogg last spring.

You have to remember that you're not really matriculated until you are officially enrolled. There are many people who commit to a school in the spring only to forfeit their deposit later in the summer to go elsewhere. While applicants are being admitted in the winter and spring, current students are looking for jobs and internships. Schools' career services resources are wholly dedicated to these students' efforts so there really isn't anything left to help a potential student find a pre MBA internship. Obviously I cannot speak for all schools, but this was my experience based on the schools to which I was admitted. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Cheetarah. That was exactly the information I was looking for.

By the way, I enjoyed "One Sixth." I was one of those people on the fence about Booth, but you've convinced me to keep it on my list of Round 2 apps. Again, thanks!

My GMAT debrief

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Which schools help arrange pre-MBA internships? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 07:03
NonYankee wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Thanks, Cheetarah. That was exactly the information I was looking for.

By the way, I enjoyed "One Sixth." I was one of those people on the fence about Booth, but you've convinced me to keep it on my list of Round 2 apps. Again, thanks!

No problem! And I am very glad you kept Booth on your list. Come visit soon.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: Which schools help arrange pre-MBA internships?   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2012, 07:03