Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which schools should I focus on for NYC/Chicago Jobs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Which schools should I focus on for NYC/Chicago Jobs? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 00:38
My stats are as follows:

Age-27
GPA-3.35 (State School)
GMAT- 740
Months of Work experience- 36 mo. @ Reputable company as a fulfillment manager (IBM)

I would like to end up in either NYC or Chicago. I realize that Top 10 may not be reachable, so what schools should I am for?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Which schools should I focus on for NYC/Chicago Jobs? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 02:12
Hi Kovalchuk71

It would be difficult to zero-in on exact choice of schools without knowing your profile and work experience in detail. But, you have a decent GMAT score which could open many doors for you. You have a respectable GPA too. You should definitely apply to a few of top-10 and rest from top 20.
Getting a Job in NYC/Chicago won't totally depend on the B-School you have gone too.
You have to understand that admission committees also look for people who have demonstrated leadership ability in the past. You would have to grill through your past where you have worked as a team lead or taken initiatives.
You would also need to write application essays which shows your ability to introspect and communicate your point of view. It helps the admissions team to judge how you view yourself, your personal values and competencies.

Best of Luck!
www.InterviewBay.com
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 1

Re: Which schools should I focus on for NYC/Chicago Jobs? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 14:58
Expert's post
Hi there,

A lot goes into selecting programs and without knowing more about your profile (so if you would like to share more, please do!) it's difficult to recommend exact schools.

HOWEVER - that said, MBAs are generally fairly regional. Even those that have national or global brands do place a significant amount of their graduates in the geographic proximity of the program. By that I mean, does Harvard place students internationally? Yes! Absolutely. But they also place the majority of their students in the northeast. Also, on campus recruiting is staffed by those in the area for the offices in those areas. For example, the Chicago office for a consulting firm won't be in the northeast. They'll let their northeast offices do that.

Therefore, the simple answer to your question is pick a program that, among other important criteria, is geographically close to where you want to end up.

I hope that helps!

EDIT: I left out my opinion on your profile. From a pure statistics point of view, top 10 is definitely within reach. Now, I don't know the strength of your experience or your short/long term goals, so that will play in significantly but with your GMAT and GPA, you've got a fighting chance at great programs!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Which schools should I focus on for NYC/Chicago Jobs?   [#permalink] 08 May 2013, 14:58