Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which schools should I target?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Which schools should I target? [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

Hoping to get an idea of which programs I can realistically target... Here are the stats:

- 3.7 GPA from top ranked southern state school, major in Finance w/ a minor in accounting. 4.00 major GPA including multiple calc classes
- 2 years FDP at top 5 oil & gas company including a rotation spent overseas in Africa (7 months)
- 1+ years in energy trading (power)
- 720 GMAT (Q47/V42) ... Slipped up on math (70%) w/ a few early mistakes but have taken multiple calc classes w/ A grades in each. Math was actually always my best subject in school.
- ECs include some volunteering, intramural sports, leadership position in business fraternity and captain of high school soccer team
- I'm sure I can find a few half decent Rec's

Ideally I'd want to shoot for a top ten school but not sure how high I can aim (H/S/W?). I'd also be interested in both Insead and LBS if I can make it in. What do you think my odds are at these schools?

Thanks for the help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Which schools should I target? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 07:22
You look like a candidate for all of them!

Might consider one school over the other depending on what you want to do after and where (geographically) you want to work.
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Which schools should I target? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 12:23
I think you are in really good shape. Good GPA and GMAT.

LBS is definitely within range. Insead too but you would need to satisfy their language requirement. HBS and Stanford is going to be a crapshoot just because the odds are tough. You really need to have something that stands out and put together a great application. Other top 10 schools are do-able, just a matter of execution and standing out.

*Updated 30th May*: Part 4 Recommendations – Elements of an MBA application series
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Which schools should I target? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 20:04
All schools give you the experience and skills you need to succeed. Choose the school that offer the highest standard of education.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Which schools should I target? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 15:15
It looks like you have a solid foundation for an application. Are you being modest about recs though? If not, definitely work on developing a mentee relationship with people at work.

Also, I might consider a GMAT re-write to improve the quant portion of your score. Even a 49 would put you in the 80-80 club and show adcoms that you are committed to the MBA process and are self-aware enough to recognize that it is an area that could be improved. Furthermore, while 720 is solid it won't turn heads at the schools you are considering -I understand it is a bit less score driven in Europe but if your dream is Wharton, CBS, Booth - top quant focused schools a few more points could help.

I would rather push through another exam than worry about using valuable space to describe how 47 is a one-off average score and not indicative versus the prowess you displayed in quanty college courses.

Good luck with the apps!

FR

Last edited by FunnyReference on 10 Dec 2013, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Which schools should I target?   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2013, 15:15