Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Which top B-schools are strongest in PE and provide $$?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Which top B-schools are strongest in PE and provide $$? [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 23:34
Cheers!

I am a little bit lost. :? I got my new GMAT score yesterday - 740 (Q49, V41), which is way above 650 I got in the first attempt, and now have a vast new opportunities of schools to apply to. I am an international student (come from Latvia - a small country within the EU) and would like to pursue a career in Private Equity. As financial support is essential for me, I would really appreciate an insight on which top 15 business schools are known for their most generous scholarship/ fellowship support to international students and have good PE opportunities? My overall profile is strong (3.96 GPA, 7yrs exp, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 2

Re: Which top B-schools are strongest in PE and provide $$? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 19:46
This post received
KUDOS
The lower a school in the rankings, the bigger the chance of getting a scholarship. That being said, schools use different criteria to decide who gets a scholarship - it largely depends on what candidates they feel they need in order to round out their class, which is something you don't know. HBS is strong in PE, but you can't rely on a schlarship there. Others: Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Tuck. I don't know what your experience is, but if you haven't done investment banking or PE prior to your MBA, the chances of getting into PE are nearly zero and it is irrelevant whether the school sends a lot of people there as they are hired based on IB/PE experience, not school.
Intern
Intern

Re: Which top B-schools are strongest in PE and provide $$? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 22:18
Thanks for your feedback! I have been in IB and M&A for 7 years in Latvia, and now would like to switch to PE. And an MBA from a top program seems to be the right first step for doing that.
I will apply to HBS, Wharton and Columbia and maybe also Tuck, and let us see how it all develops further.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 2

Re: Which top B-schools are strongest in PE and provide $$? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
That's a good start. Bear in mind, though, that your ability to get a PE job may also depend on what bank you worked for. For instance, some PE shops take people only from bulge brackets, and the biggest firms like KKR take people mostly from GS or MS. Be very careful of what you write in your essays as a career goal as on seeing that you want to do PE, adcoms will scrutinize your work experience as they know that the industry is tough to crack and they will ding you if your goal seems unfeasible. That's why I would suggest to get in touch wih people from the finance clubs at these schools and ask them how realistic your career goal is given your background and what PE shops you can shoot for.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Which top B-schools are strongest in PE and provide $$? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
if you want PE getting a scholarship should be very far down your list of decision points. Simply put going full ride to a top 10 school would be foolish if you could have gone to HBS instead. PE tends to be extremely brand focused. Unless you have prior experience in the field, you really want to go to the best brand possible.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Which top B-schools are strongest in PE and provide $$? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 02:35
Thanks for advice. I have already applied to Wharton and Columbia, and will apply to HBS next week. I have applied to several safety schools as well, so, if I get a privilege to choose from several options, I will keep your suggestion in mind.
Re: Which top B-schools are strongest in PE and provide $$?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2011, 02:35