Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

which top schools for someone with a quantitative background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

which top schools for someone with a quantitative background [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 11:35
ok so im confused.
i have a quantitatiave background, a triple major in Computer Science, Economics, and Applied Statistics.

i wanted to get into a top school and i had heard that i should be looking for quantitative top mba programs as i would have a better chance there.

but after reading posts here, im getting the impression that i would have it tougher in programs like mit and carnegie mellon because of all the tough competition from people with similar backgrounds.

so would i have a better chance of getting intoa quant school like mit/carnegie mellon or would i have a better chance of getting into a non quant business school like berkeley?

any thoughts?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: which top schools for someone with a quantitative backgr [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 11:38
jimjohn wrote:
ok so im confused.
i have a quantitatiave background, a triple major in Computer Science, Economics, and Applied Statistics.

i wanted to get into a top school and i had heard that i should be looking for quantitative top mba programs as i would have a better chance there.

but after reading posts here, im getting the impression that i would have it tougher in programs like mit and carnegie mellon because of all the tough competition from people with similar backgrounds.

so would i have a better chance of getting intoa quant school like mit/carnegie mellon or would i have a better chance of getting into a non quant business school like berkeley?

any thoughts?

There are way too many variables. You should choose a school based on what your needs are, not on your chances of getting in. With that said, what do you plan to get out of bschool? Then go from there.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 11:50
depending on scores, work exp, gpa, and activities you could be a candidate at any school.

MIT, Wharton, and Chicago are all very quant heavy programs...they all are also ultra elites. Princeton's masters of finance is very quant focused but is about as tough a program to get into as there is.

CMU is also very quant focused, and will be much easier to get into than those.

All b-schools are going to have a lot of quant...you need to worry more about showing how well rounded you are. Don't come across as a quant jock at the expense of everything else.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 09:17
Quote:
non quant business school like berkeley?

au contraire my friend;) I agree that Berkeley isn't known as a quant school in the sense that some other schools (CMU and MIT, maybe Chi) are.

But I wouldn't call it a "non-quant" school (and for that matter I'm not sure if you could call any of the top schools "non-quant"). The adcom places a big emphasis on quantitative ability. I applied to 5 schools, and Berkeley was the only one who asked me to list out all my math courses and other quant exp. So even the poets here still know their stats and calculus (which you need for the core micro econ class, and I'm sure a few others).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 10:07
The odds of you getting into a quant school because you have a quant background are completely indistinguishable than those of you getting into a non-quant school with a quant background. To put it somewhat more formally, the difference is likely statistically insignificant.

Choose schools based on what you want to do, where you want to live, what you think you can reasonably attain, etc. Don't listen too much to the stereotypes of a given school, and choose based on what feels right.

Last edited by rhyme on 28 Oct 2007, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 20:28
Hey naturallight! were you at the >play conference today? :)

Anyway, yes, Berkeley is the ONLY school that I'm applying to that asks for your math classes and grades from undergrad. I talked with one of the adcom today and she stressed again that they ask the question to make sure you can survive the quant part of classes. One year they decided not to ask it, and people were having a tough time with the quant courses, so they put it back again.

Berkeley is pretty tech and quant oriented, maybe not like Wharton or Chicago, but I wouldn't call it non-quant.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 08:40
nah, I couldn't make it to the >play conference. Was it good?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:04
>play was pretty exciting. So many people, so many cool things!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 10:01
The name of the conference was ">play"? Those Berkeley folks are wild and crazy. :lol:

Back to the original question, there are so many people with quantitative backgrounds going to business school these days that it really won't be a distinguishing factor in most applications. I don't think any of the top schools will view your application any differently basic on the quantitative nature of your background. I also don't think you should select a school based on how quantitative their reputation is.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 10:09
pelihu wrote:
The name of the conference was ">play"? Those Berkeley folks are wild and crazy. :lol:

LOL! Yeah, Berkeley people are crazy. ;)

But it's actually the "play" button, you know, a circle with a triangle inside it ">" on an iPod or some other digital media device. So when typing it, they just use ">play" ;)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 11:39
kryzak wrote:
Hey naturallight! were you at the >play conference today? :)

Anyway, yes, Berkeley is the ONLY school that I'm applying to that asks for your math classes and grades from undergrad. I talked with one of the adcom today and she stressed again that they ask the question to make sure you can survive the quant part of classes. One year they decided not to ask it, and people were having a tough time with the quant courses, so they put it back again.

Berkeley is pretty tech and quant oriented, maybe not like Wharton or Chicago, but I wouldn't call it non-quant.

I never understood why Berkeley asked this question. If they really were reviewing all the applications corerctly, they would clearly see the math classes on the transcript.

So they don't ask this quesiton 1 year and all of sudden admit students that have no quant experience? What were they reviewing?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 13:07
gmatclb wrote:
So they don't ask this quesiton 1 year and all of sudden admit students that have no quant experience? What were they reviewing?

That is something you can call their adcom and ask. Just report back to us if you find out the answer. :wink:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 11:45
thanks guys for the advice
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 15:27
Quote:
I never understood why Berkeley asked this question. If they really were reviewing all the applications corerctly, they would clearly see the math classes on the transcript.

Just a guess, but I think it's for self-selection purposes.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 17:38
naturallight wrote:
Quote:

Just a guess, but I think it's for self-selection purposes.

Care to elaborate?
  [#permalink] 31 Oct 2007, 17:38