Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While depressed property values can hurt some large

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

While depressed property values can hurt some large [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

55% (02:05) correct 45% (01:16) wrong based on 152 sessions
While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners, whose equity —in many cases representing a life's savings—can plunge or even disappear.

(A) they are potentially devastating for homeowners, whose
(B) they can potentially devastate homeowners in that their
(C) for homeowners they are potentially devastating, because their
(D) for homeowners, it is potentially devastating in that their
(E) it can potentially devastate homeowners, whose

Can someone please answer this and explain me the rationale? Thank you
14 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 198 [14] , given: 6

Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
amitdesai16 wrote:
While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners, whose equity —in many cases representing a life's savings—can plunge or even disappear.

they/it antecedent is the plural "depressed property values," so eliminate DE.

"their equity" in C is probably intended to mean "homeowners' equity. But the problem is that "they" has already been used to refer to "values." Multiple uses of the same pronoun must have the same antecedent, or ambiguity is created. Eliminate C.

OK: Dogs are wonderful pets; for epileptics they are potentially lifesaving, because their senses can often detect the coming of a seizure before any signs are visible to humans. (Both pronouns refer to dogs; the double use actually emphasizes this correct meaning.)

Not OK: Dogs are wonderful pets; for epileptics they are potentially lifesaving, because their seizures can often occur with no signs visible to humans. (It is unclear whether "their" refers to dogs or epileptics; the double use of the pronoun actually emphasizes the wrong meaning: dogs' seizures.)

Similar ambiguity about "in that their" in B: values' equity or homeowners' equity? Also, that phrase is not great idiomatically.

A is correct. "Whose" clearly refers to the "homeowners" before the comma, due to placement and the fact that "who/whose" must refer to people, not things.

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 12:11
Thank you for the quick response.

However, a clarification between A and B is the usage of word "can" vs "are" - any thoughts related to this or this doesn't matter really?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 07:36
Would "they" confuse as some large investors as to depressed property values?

Can someone explain to that?
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 198 [1] , given: 6

Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
amitdesai16 wrote:

However, a clarification between A and B is the usage of word "can" vs "are" - any thoughts related to this or this doesn't matter really?

There is certainly a meaning difference between "can" and "are." Consider the difference between "Some birds can talk" (i.e. it is possible) and "some birds are talking" (i.e. right now). I think that difference is of minimal importance in this GMAT question because "potentially" in all choices conveys the "it is possible" meaning.

Ekin4112 wrote:

Pronouns don't follow a strict proximity rule (i.e. the antecedent isn't automatically the closest noun, or even the closest preceding noun).

While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners...

Here, "values" and "they" are used the same way: as subjects of the verbs "can hurt" and "are...devastating." Note that these verbs are parallel, both in tense (present) and meaning.

In contrast, "large investors" are the object of the verb, more similar to "(for) homeowners" than to "they." So, the GMAT would not consider this pronoun confusing.

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 07:41
nice explanation esledge. Thanks.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 07:57
This is OG10 question.

The tricky part if WHILE, which is used to make a contrast. When we use WHILE then in the contrasting subclause, the noun is preferable to the subject in the main clause. So, THEY is correct.

Here you should avoid CAN in second part as:
While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they can potentially devastating...

Does this combination matches correctly? NO.
This sentence is in progressive format so ARE is correct here.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 10:40
So because its a contrast using "While", its preferable to use the pronoun - "they".

Esledge has mentioned above that "Pronouns don't follow a strict proximity rule (i.e. the antecedent isn't automatically the closest noun, or even the closest preceding noun).".

However, I got a different impression when referring to Manhattan SC correction guide.

For pronouns, its not necessary to have proximity to the referred noun?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 11:27
amitdesai16 wrote:

A. perfectly fine. "they" modify the "depressed property values".
B is incorrect because of the pronoun "their". Its ambiguous.
C Incorrect: modifies the wrong noun. should modify "depressed property values".
D Incorrect: same reason as C. Also, the use of "it" is ambiguous. what does it really refer to?
e Incorrect: "it" is the wrong pronoun. Needs a plural pronoun "they"
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 00:41
esledge wrote:
amitdesai16 wrote:

There is certainly a meaning difference between "can" and "are." Consider the difference between "Some birds can talk" (i.e. it is possible) and "some birds are talking" (i.e. right now). I think that difference is of minimal importance in this GMAT question because "potentially" in all choices conveys the "it is possible" meaning.

Ekin4112 wrote:

Pronouns don't follow a strict proximity rule (i.e. the antecedent isn't automatically the closest noun, or even the closest preceding noun).

While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for homeowners...

Here, "values" and "they" are used the same way: as subjects of the verbs "can hurt" and "are...devastating." Note that these verbs are parallel, both in tense (present) and meaning.

In contrast, "large investors" are the object of the verb, more similar to "(for) homeowners" than to "they." So, the GMAT would not consider this pronoun confusing.

----------
so, what i understand here is that : can + potentially is redundant. do i understand your explanation right?

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 08:57
esledge wrote:
amitdesai16 wrote:

Ekin4112 wrote:

While I understand that pronouns are correctly used only in option A, I believe Option A is not parallel.
While depressed rates hurt large investors they are devastating to.... there seems to be a comparison. Hence, should the two not be parallel i.e. since hurt is given, the correct option must have devastate. Am I missing something or do pronouns trump parallelism?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 570 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
karun0109 wrote:
esledge wrote:
amitdesai16 wrote:

Ekin4112 wrote:

While I understand that pronouns are correctly used only in option A, I believe Option A is not parallel.
While depressed rates hurt large investors they are devastating to.... there seems to be a comparison. Hence, should the two not be parallel i.e. since hurt is given, the correct option must have devastate. Am I missing something or do pronouns trump parallelism?

Hii karun.
We need to remember that just as looks dont matter in the real world, looks of the words dont count much. In option A, the subject of hurt is "Depressed property values". But if we look on the second clause, "they are potentially devastating" modifies "Depresses property values"
This can be made very clear by looking at an official question.
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filagree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

In this example, both "spawned" and "extending" modify "rootlike tentacles".
Hope that helps.
-s

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tricky SC question [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 06:08
[/quote]Hii karun.
We need to remember that just as looks dont matter in the real world, looks of the words dont count much. In option A, the subject of hurt is "Depressed property values". But if we look on the second clause, "they are potentially devastating" modifies "Depresses property values"
This can be made very clear by looking at an official question.
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filagree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

In this example, both "spawned" and "extending" modify "rootlike tentacles".
Hope that helps.
-s[/quote]

tid-bit - spawned and extending - both participles are describing fungus, not tentacles, and since they are adjectival participles they are parallel.
VP
VP
Followers: 208

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: While depressed property values can hurt some large [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 05:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: While depressed property values can hurt some large   [#permalink] 12 May 2014, 05:07