Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 23:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 388
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 13:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (02:07) correct 42% (01:02) wrong based on 67 sessions
While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only official measure of relative strength of soccer nations. However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success. In fact Germany, who was tipped to be winner in 1996 to clear even the first round.
Which option, if above statements are correct, is the correct inference here?

a) A team's performance on paper is not a guarantee of its success in field.
b) FIFA should improve the rankings to make them more useful.
c) No team which has been tipped to win the world cup by FIFA based on its rankings has actually gone to win world cup.
d) FIFA rankings would have been a better indicator of world cup success if the rankings were perfected.
e) Prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator of the world cup success.

OA later. Need solid explanations behind the correct inference here.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 305
Followers: 320

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 2

Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 16:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I got a PM on this question. I'll definitely chime in, but let me start off by saying that this question should be done for fun. It is not an actual GMAT question in terms of style, rigor, and well...just about anything else. That does not mean we can't subject it to analysis. So here goes:

While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only official measure of relative strength of soccer nations. However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success. In fact Germany, who was tipped to be winner in 1996 to clear even the first round.
Which option, if above statements are correct, is the correct inference here?

a) A team's performance on paper is not a guarantee of its success in field.

'On paper' seems odd. Can we assume 'on paper' is literal and that FIFA is 'on paper.' I don't know. If so, this would be valid.

b) FIFA should improve the rankings to make them more useful.

This is an opinion not an inference.

c) No team which has been tipped to win the world cup by FIFA based on its rankings has actually gone to win world cup.

The argument only says that FIFA ranking has been a 'poor indicator'.

d) FIFA rankings would have been a better indicator of world cup success if the rankings were perfected.

We can't conclude this. And what does it mean 'were perfected.'

e) Prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator of the world cup success.

This seems very straightforward and hardly an inference, at least one you would see on the actual GMAT...but it is an inference nonetheless. It is sort of like saying John is over 5 feet tall. Therefore we can infer that he is not less than 5 ft. Also, the prompt says 'Since 1992, FIFA rankings...'. Therefore, before 1992 they were not a poor indicator. The use of the word 'since' shows that there were FIFA rankings before.

Anyhow, I guess (E) would be the answer, though one could make the argument for (A), depending on the nebulous term 'on paper.'

That said, don't worry about this question. Move on and spend your time with the official/reputable stuff. It'll help your score test day :).
_________________

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep


Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 374
Location: US
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 14:24
joshnsit wrote:
While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only official measure of relative strength of soccer nations. However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success. In fact Germany, who was tipped to be winner in 1996 to clear even the first round.
Which option, if above statements are correct, is the correct inference here?

a) A team's performance on paper is not a guarantee of its success in field.
b) FIFA should improve the rankings to make them more useful.
c) No team which has been tipped to win the world cup by FIFA based on its rankings has actually gone to win world cup.
d) FIFA rankings would have been a better indicator of world cup success if the rankings were perfected.
e) Prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator of the world cup success.

OA later. Need solid explanations behind the correct inference here.


I'm stuck between A & E, but My final answer is A.
B,C,D are out (B - irrelevant, C - out of scope, D -irrelevant)
E - is valid but not an inference, Whereas, A sounds much convincing.

Cheers!
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 388
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 15:24
Capricorn369 wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only official measure of relative strength of soccer nations. However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success. In fact Germany, who was tipped to be winner in 1996 to clear even the first round.
Which option, if above statements are correct, is the correct inference here?

a) A team's performance on paper is not a guarantee of its success in field.
b) FIFA should improve the rankings to make them more useful.
c) No team which has been tipped to win the world cup by FIFA based on its rankings has actually gone to win world cup.
d) FIFA rankings would have been a better indicator of world cup success if the rankings were perfected.
e) Prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator of the world cup success.

OA later. Need solid explanations behind the correct inference here.
I'm stuck between A & E, but My final answer is A.
B,C,D are out (B - irrelevant, C - out of scope, D -irrelevant)
E - is valid but not an inference, Whereas, A sounds much convincing.
Cheers!
How would it be E? Can't I say that FIFA rolled out it's rankings in 1992 for the first time? Also, how do you make inference about something before 1992, when nothing is talked about that time in the given argument.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 374
Location: US
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 16:02
joshnsit wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only official measure of relative strength of soccer nations. However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success. In fact Germany, who was tipped to be winner in 1996 to clear even the first round.
Which option, if above statements are correct, is the correct inference here?

a) A team's performance on paper is not a guarantee of its success in field.
b) FIFA should improve the rankings to make them more useful.
c) No team which has been tipped to win the world cup by FIFA based on its rankings has actually gone to win world cup.
d) FIFA rankings would have been a better indicator of world cup success if the rankings were perfected.
e) Prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator of the world cup success.

OA later. Need solid explanations behind the correct inference here.
I'm stuck between A & E, but My final answer is A.
B,C,D are out (B - irrelevant, C - out of scope, D -irrelevant)
E - is valid but not an inference, Whereas, A sounds much convincing.
Cheers!
How would it be E? Can't I say that FIFA rolled out it's rankings in 1992 for the first time? Also, how do you make inference about something before 1992, when nothing is talked about that time in the given argument.


I said, My final answer is A not E.
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 388
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 18:01
Capricorn369 wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:
I'm stuck between A & E, but My final answer is A. B,C,D are out (B - irrelevant, C - out of scope, D -irrelevant)
E - is valid but not an inference, Whereas, A sounds much convincing.
Cheers!
How would it be E? Can't I say that FIFA rolled out it's rankings in 1992 for the first time? Also, how do you make inference about something before 1992, when nothing is talked about that time in the given argument.
I said, My final answer is A not E.
Let me wear devil's advocate hat/coat, anything on "paper" practically or metaphorically is never discussed in the argument.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2484
Followers: 341

Kudos [?]: 2881 [0], given: 708

Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 18:56
Expert's post
joshnsit wrote:
While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only official measure of relative strength of soccer nations. However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success. In fact Germany, who was tipped to be winner in 1996 to clear even the first round.
Which option, if above statements are correct, is the correct inference here?

a) A team's performance on paper is not a guarantee of its success in field.
b) FIFA should improve the rankings to make them more useful.
c) No team which has been tipped to win the world cup by FIFA based on its rankings has actually gone to win world cup.
d) FIFA rankings would have been a better indicator of world cup success if the rankings were perfected.
e) Prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator of the world cup success.

OA later. Need solid explanations behind the correct inference here.



Tough one.

A) is not the point the team's performance

B) hold

C) maybe yes or maybe no

D) hold

E) is not completely true for the conclusion

B and D

B should improve not convince me at all. Instead D have much sense (see the red part). Inference is solely a restatement of the original stimulus.

I go for D
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 39
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 26

Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 21:59
While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only official measure of relative strength of soccer nations. However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success. In fact Germany, who was tipped to be winner in 1996 to clear even the first round.
Which option, if above statements are correct, is the correct inference here?

The argument in one line :- Fifa rankings are the only official measure of relative strength b/w nations, however since 1992 their rankings have been poor indicators of world cup success.

So the inference should be in the lines if the rankings are improved they are better indicators of world cup success.

a) A team's performance on paper is not a guarantee of its success in field.irrelevant because thats not the argument about.
b) FIFA should improve the rankings to make them more useful.can be inferred
c) No team which has been tipped to win the world cup by FIFA based on its rankings has actually gone to win world cup. cannot be inferred
d) FIFA rankings would have been a better indicator of world cup success if the rankings were perfected.as pre-phrased
e) Prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator of the world cup success.beyond scope

Hence IMO D whats OA?
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 564
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 75

Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 03:04
(D) sounds more like an assumption, (E) is the correct answer IMO.
Yes 1992 was not the year of incorporation and the FWR started before that other wise the author had not given stress on this part -....." However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success."
(A) is wrong because it is too generic to be an inference.
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 23
Schools: LBS '14 (S)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 05:18
E for me.
A - "Team's performance on paper" is ambiguous. FIFA ranking is the official measure of relative strength, and it does not necessarily imply "performance on paper"
D - The ranking "may" be imperfect & it has been a poor indicator of world cup success. However, this does not necessarily demonstrate that 'perfect rankings' will lead to better indication of world cup success. As thevenus points out, it brings additional assumption.

As for E - "However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator..." implies that prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator.
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2484
Followers: 341

Kudos [?]: 2881 [0], given: 708

Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 01:06
Expert's post
ChrisLele wrote:
I got a PM on this question. I'll definitely chime in, but let me start off by saying that this question should be done for fun. It is not an actual GMAT question in terms of style, rigor, and well...just about anything else. That does not mean we can't subject it to analysis. So here goes:

While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only official measure of relative strength of soccer nations. However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success. In fact Germany, who was tipped to be winner in 1996 to clear even the first round.
Which option, if above statements are correct, is the correct inference here?

a) A team's performance on paper is not a guarantee of its success in field.

'On paper' seems odd. Can we assume 'on paper' is literal and that FIFA is 'on paper.' I don't know. If so, this would be valid.

b) FIFA should improve the rankings to make them more useful.

This is an opinion not an inference.

c) No team which has been tipped to win the world cup by FIFA based on its rankings has actually gone to win world cup.

The argument only says that FIFA ranking has been a 'poor indicator'.

d) FIFA rankings would have been a better indicator of world cup success if the rankings were perfected.

We can't conclude this. And what does it mean 'were perfected.'

e) Prior to 1992, FIFA rankings were a better indicator of the world cup success.

This seems very straightforward and hardly an inference, at least one you would see on the actual GMAT...but it is an inference nonetheless. It is sort of like saying John is over 5 feet tall. Therefore we can infer that he is not less than 5 ft. Also, the prompt says 'Since 1992, FIFA rankings...'. Therefore, before 1992 they were not a poor indicator. The use of the word 'since' shows that there were FIFA rankings before.

Anyhow, I guess (E) would be the answer, though one could make the argument for (A), depending on the nebulous term 'on paper.'

That said, don't worry about this question. Move on and spend your time with the official/reputable stuff. It'll help your score test day :).


I Chris :) glad to see you on this question. What you are saying confirm why I do not spend too much on question from lsat, 1000 series and so on because do not reflect the actual gmat.

Infact I go for the search button on this forum and I made a custom question bank only from MGMAT Magoosh and official prep (kaplan veritas often are wording and confusing only to show a greter difficulty is not necessary for the actual gmat). My opinion.

Thanks lot for your participation.
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 388
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 20:08
thevenus wrote:
(D) sounds more like an assumption, (E) is the correct answer IMO.
Yes 1992 was not the year of incorporation and the FWR started before that other wise the author had not given stress on this part -....." However, since 1992, FIFA rankings have been a poor indicator of world cup success."
(A) is wrong because it is too generic to be an inference.
OA is E. Thanks for the discussion and clarifications.

Though, I am not completely convinced with the answer, but it seems to be the closest match here. I mean, if I say, "I have lived in my current house since 1992" then it doesn't mean that "I have lived in my house before 1992 as well.".
Let me know if I am thinking in wrong direction here.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Re: Inference Googly:While FIFA world cup ranking may be   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2012, 20:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 However much governments around the world may agree bsahil 1 21 Aug 2013, 22:51
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic However much governments around the world may agree that Paramita11 8 30 Nov 2012, 01:46
US MBA programs ranked by GMAT only GatorMBA 0 16 Jul 2011, 12:43
It may not be a good time to have a baby while studying at vshaunak@gmail.com 6 18 Mar 2007, 09:02
With only 5 percent of the world's population, United States HongHu 5 10 Feb 2005, 09:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

While FIFA world ranking may be imperfect, it is the only

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.