Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 7

While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state s [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:21) correct 49% (01:34) wrong based on 145 sessions
While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s budget has increased by an average of 6 percent each year. While the previous governor was in office, the state’s budget increased by an average of 11.5 percent each year. Obviously, the austere budgets during Governor Verdant’s term have caused the slowdown in the growth in state spending.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The rate of inflation in the state averaged 10 percent each year during the previous governor’s term in office and 3 percent each year during Verdant’s term.
(B) Both federal and state income tax rates have been lowered considerably during Verdant’s term in office.====
(C) In each year of Verdant’s term in office, the state’s budget has shown some increase in spending over the previous year.
(D) During Verdant’s term in office, the state has either discontinued or begun to charge private citizens for numerous services that the state offered free to citizens during the previous governor’s term.
(E) During the previous governor’s term in office, the state introduced several so-called “austerity” budgets intended to reduce the growth in state spending.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 7

Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 07:30
My answer was B ,
Can't think of reasons for A , People please suggest.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [3] , given: 109

Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
+1 A

I think this example could help to understand the answer.

Let's assume that both governors had to buy 100 cans of Coke for their office employees. Also, let's assume that at the beginning the price of each can is $ 1 (total: $100).

Now, during the previous governor's period the inflation was 11.5%. So, he had to pay $ 111.5 for the 100 bottles.
Ok, suppose that the price is again $1, but the inflation of the current governor's period was 3%. So, he paid $ 103.

BUT, in both cases, both bought 100 cans!

So, we cannot conclude that the budgets were austere.

Hope it helps.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 16:09
(A) The rate of inflation in the state averaged 10 percent each year during the previous governor’s term in office and 3 percent each year during Verdant’s term. Correct. Economics 101, increased inflation causes a decrease in buying power
(B) Both federal and state income tax rates have been lowered considerably during Verdant’s term in office. No tie to conclusion
(C) In each year of Verdant’s term in office, the state’s budget has shown some increase in spending over the previous year. Strengths the conclusion
(D) During Verdant’s term in office, the state has either discontinued or begun to charge private citizens for numerous services that the state offered free to citizens during the previous governor’s term.No tie to conclusion and would strengthen the argument
(E) During the previous governor’s term in office, the state introduced several so-called “austerity” budgets intended to reduce the growth in state spending. opposite answer

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 03:05
Can someone please explain why it is not B and why it is A?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 04:04
just wondering about c. It states that the spending increased each year during Verdant's term in office.

The question states, spending decreased and the cause for this was Verdant's budget.

Doesn't the increased spending each year negate this?

Or is the option actually attacking the evidence as opposed to the conclusion?

In which case, I diagree, respectfully with a previous post that c "strengthens the conclusion". I could be wrong, please help.

I can see how A could be the right answer but do not agree that C strengthens the conclusion.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 7

Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
sidhu09 wrote:

The conclusion is:
the austere budgets during Governor Verdant’s term have caused the slowdown in the growth in state spending.
our task is to find what weakens it. In other words, what was the reason for lower relative (in %) state spending growth.

B is not correct, beacuse it gives information about revenues, not about spendings. So it is unrelated to the conclusion.
(B) Both federal and state income tax rates have been lowered considerably during Verdant’s term in office.

A is correct, because it stays that the spendings are not lower compared to the previuos governor. It is just a matter of inflation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 19:59
Thank you JubtaGubar. Nice explanation.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state s [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 13:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 08:14
JubtaGubar wrote:
sidhu09 wrote:

The conclusion is:
the austere budgets during Governor Verdant’s term have caused the slowdown in the growth in state spending.
our task is to find what weakens it. In other words, what was the reason for lower relative (in %) state spending growth.

B is not correct, beacuse it gives information about revenues, not about spendings. So it is unrelated to the conclusion.
(B) Both federal and state income tax rates have been lowered considerably during Verdant’s term in office.

A is correct, because it stays that the spendings are not lower compared to the previuos governor. It is just a matter of inflation.

I think there is confusion...
State budget means the state spending (from what I understand now).
Upon first reading, I thought state budget was state income.....
Re: While Governor Verdant has been in office, the state’s   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2013, 08:14