Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While Hands Holbein the Younger is most often identified

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

While Hands Holbein the Younger is most often identified [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 11:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
While Hands Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his English portraits, scholars have long been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who was fundamental in synthesizing the novelties of the Italian Renaissance with the tradition of Northern Europe.

A. been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
B. been recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
C. recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist who
D. recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
E. recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who

Please explain your answer! thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 12:06
"scholars have long recognizing him" sounds very awkward with missing "been". That eliminates C,D,E

Between A and B IMO its A.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 12:15
tarek99 wrote:
While Hands Holbein the Younger is most often identified with his English portraits, scholars have long been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who was fundamental in synthesizing the novelties of the Italian Renaissance with the tradition of Northern Europe.

A. been recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who
B. been recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
D. recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and he
E. recognizing him for being a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist and who

C is better than other choices. .. scholars have long recognizing him --> sounds little awkward.

I belieive this not OG question.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 12:26
Straight C.
scholars have long recognizing him as a superb draftsman and a remarkably versatile artist who was fundamental in synthesizing the novelties
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 13:30
This is not an OG question, but a GMATprep question! the OA is C. But I honestly don't understand how because i've always thought that the present perfect progressive is always followed by a "been". how come this is not the case here? can anyone explain please? If I simply use POE, then I would actually arrive to answer choice C. Here's how:

you can't use "and who" unless "who" is already used somewhere earlier in the sentence

when you have a new subject and a new verb after "and", you're creating a new clause, so you need to place a comma before "and", otherwise you will have a run-on sentence.

is fine

same issue as option B

same issue as option A.

But still, how come the present perfect progressive is followed by an "ing" verb before "been"???

Last edited by tarek99 on 19 Jul 2008, 06:00, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 13:49
Can you clarify this some more? Thx.

you can't use "and who" unless "who" is already used somewhere earlier in the sentence

tarek99 wrote:
This is not an OG question, but a GMATprep question! the OA is C. But I honestly don't understand how because i've always thought that the present perfect is always followed by a past participle. how come this is not the case here? can anyone explain please? If I simply use POE, then I would actually arrive to answer choice C. Here's how:

when you have a new subject and a new verb after "and" you need to place a comma before "and", otherwise you will have a run-on sentence.

is fine

same issue as option B

same issue as option A.

But still, how come the present perfect is followed by an "ing" verb???
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 01:36
bigfernhead wrote:

tarek99 wrote:
This is not an OG question, but a GMATprep question! the OA is C. But I honestly don't understand how because i've always thought that the present perfect is always followed by a past participle. how come this is not the case here? can anyone explain please? If I simply use POE, then I would actually arrive to answer choice C. Here's how:

when you have a new subject and a new verb after "and" you need to place a comma before "and", otherwise you will have a run-on sentence.

is fine

same issue as option B

same issue as option A.

Ok, i'll explain:

You can not use the words "and which" or the words "and who" if you don't use the word "which / who" before it in the sentence. Eg:

1) "The Things", which was directed by Howard Hawks, and which was released in 1951, featured James Arness as the monster.

Here, because we've already used "which" earlier in the sentence, it's appropriate to use "and which" later on in the sentence.

2) The boy who was doing his homework and who became especially tired.

Here, because we've already used "who" earlier in the sentence, it's appropriate to use "and who" later on in the sentence.

In our given problem, we had "and who", but we never had "who" earlier in the sentence.

Hope this helps
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 05:27
tarek99 wrote:

can some one explain why have recognizing is correct or not .I thought it should be have been recognizing.Again here there were two contradicting situations
(1)have recognising
(2)and who

how do v get to answers when such situations arise.

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2008, 06:04
spriya wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

can some one explain why have recognizing is correct or not .I thought it should be have been recognizing.Again here there were two contradicting situations
(1)have recognising
(2)and who

how do v get to answers when such situations arise.

I have the same issue as well. but if you look at my other postings in this thread, i used POE to eliminate each answer choice to arrive to the correct answer. I realized that it's better to eliminate each choice that is wrong so that you're left with an answer that is eventually the correct answer. I find it easier to eliminate the wrong answer choices than to look for the correct answer.
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 14:03
Thanks for your explanation.

On another note -

Why is "been" not required in here? I'm re-reading it many times, and "long recognizing" just doesn't make sense to me...

tarek99 wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:

tarek99 wrote:

is fine

same issue as option B

same issue as option A.

Ok, i'll explain:

You can not use the words "and which" or the words "and who" if you don't use the word "which / who" before it in the sentence. Eg:

1) "The Things", which was directed by Howard Hawks, and which was released in 1951, featured James Arness as the monster.

Here, because we've already used "which" earlier in the sentence, it's appropriate to use "and which" later on in the sentence.

2) The boy who was doing his homework and who became especially tired.

Here, because we've already used "who" earlier in the sentence, it's appropriate to use "and who" later on in the sentence.

In our given problem, we had "and who", but we never had "who" earlier in the sentence.

Hope this helps
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 14:30
bigfernhead, I honestly don't know the answer to your last question. I will also need to know the answer to your question from anyone who can answer it. :(
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 15:20
are you sure theres no typo in your answer choices ??
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 19:21
I am simply stoned if C is the OA.

have long recognizing him?? Can some one tell me how the present perfect is conveyed with have long recognizing him?I just don't see it.

tarek99,

What does the explanation in GMATprep say? Can you copy and paste the explanation?
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 01:21
it's a file from a guy who's a gmatclub member and who piled up all of the SC gmatprep questions. The Gmatprep only has questions and answers, but they never have OE.
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 06:17
tarek99 wrote:
it's a file from a guy who's a gmatclub member and who piled up all of the SC gmatprep questions. The Gmatprep only has questions and answers, but they never have OE.

My bet is that this one's a copy/paste typo. If you change "recognizing" to "recognized," the OA makes sense.
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 06:37
zoinnk wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

My bet is that this one's a copy/paste typo. If you change "recognizing" to "recognized," the OA makes sense.

The thing is, I didn't change anything because I selected the whole text and then copied it and then pasted it. I didn't re-type the whole question. So it's either the person who typed it made a mistake or we're just not getting it....heheh....but I know that I didn't make any mistake from my part.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:05
Oh dear...
I don't like any answer...but I would have to say A.

'Been' is necessary.
A has 'recognized' him as Y is correct
or
A has been 'recognizing' him as Y is also correct.

It is never correct to say
A has 'recognising' him.

In this it creates an anomaly....

It confuses when what happened.
Either he has recognized(present perfect tense) [something that started in the past till present]
or
been recognizing (Present Perfect Progressive), [something that started in the past , contunues in present and to the future]

can never be,
was recognizing(past present continuous?? :D).

It is important not to mix tenses in GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 13:53
Obviously, like everyone else I was between A and C. Don't have a perfect solution here. For me, A was unacceptable because 'and who' is not modifying 'artist' anymore and that was the desired effect from this sentence and GMAT is big on checking these concepts.
So, I would have picked C even though I agree with the rest about 'having long recognizing'.

May be some english major can explain how C is acceptable!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 42

Re: While Hands Holbein the Younger is most often identified [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2014, 10:00
zonk wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Indeed, There is a typo !
Replace recognizing with recognized in options - C, D ,and E

while-hands-holbein-the-younger-is-most-often-identified-135974.html

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Re: While Hands Holbein the Younger is most often identified   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2014, 10:00