Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]

Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of [#permalink]
Top Contributor
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

(A) While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
S-V agreement error. The singular verb “makes” does not agree with the plural noun “ fixed costs”..
Comparison error- “costs to run nuclear plants” is compared to “other types of power plants.
Eliminate

(B) While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.
the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as (the cost) for other types of power plants,
The antecedent for “they” is “nuclear plants”. Correct.

(C) Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.
S- V agreement error- The singular verb “makes” does not agree with the plural noun “ fixed costs”. Eliminate.

(D) It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.
The antecedent for “they” is “other types of power plants” or “nuclear plants”? Ambiguous. Eliminate.

(E) The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.
Same as D. Comparison error- “costs to run nuclear plants” is compared to “other types of power plants”.
The antecedent for “they” is “other types of power plants” or “nuclear plants”? Ambiguous. Eliminate.

VP
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of [#permalink]
Hello GMATNinja, egmat,

While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

(D) It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants <independent clause>, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive <dependent clause>, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.

'they' in dependent clause could either be nuclear plants or power plants. Wouldn't nuclear plants be a preferred antecedent, since it is part of the subject of the 1st clause?
I believe the more critical error is usage of 'verb+ing modifer' followed by the 2nd clause. Since the usage of verb+ing is supposed to describe the preceding clause, which isn't the case here
Please share your comments on my analysis

Thanks a lot in advance. You have been very helpful...
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
niyatisuri wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, egmat,

(D) It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants <independent clause>, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive <dependent clause>, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.

'they' in dependent clause could either be nuclear plants or power plants. Wouldn't nuclear plants be a preferred antecedent, since it is part of the subject of the 1st clause?
I believe the more critical error is usage of 'verb+ing modifer' followed by the 2nd clause. Since the usage of verb+ing is supposed to describe the preceding clause, which isn't the case here

Hello niyatisuri,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your observation regarding the pronoun "they" is correct, however, your second point is not.

Here, the present participle ("verb+ing") phrase "stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants" is correctly modifying the preceding clause - "whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive" - to convey the cause-effect relationship between the electricity generated by nuclear power plants being more expensive and these higher costs being tdue to the fixed costs of building nuclear plants; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “stemming” in this case) after a comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
niyatisuri wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, egmat,

Hello niyatisuri,

To answer your query, your observation regarding the pronoun "they" is correct, however, your second point is not.

Here, the present participle ("verb+ing") phrase "stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants" is correctly modifying the preceding clause - "whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive" - to convey the cause-effect relationship between the electricity generated by nuclear power plants being more expensive and these higher costs being tdue to the fixed costs of building nuclear plants; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “stemming” in this case) after a comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks for the explanation, so the question now is :
'What in particular makes D an incorrect answer choice?'
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
niyatisuri wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
niyatisuri wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, egmat,

Hello niyatisuri,

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thanks for the explanation, so the question now is :
'What in particular makes D an incorrect answer choice?'

Hello niyatisuri,

To answer your query, as you have mentioned, Option D suffers from pronoun ambiguity.

Further, its construction is needlessly indirect, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
niyatisuri wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, egmat,

The subject of the previous clause here is a non-referential "it," so that can't help us figure out what the "they" is referring to. I suppose you could argue that "it" is a placeholder for the real subject, but, at the very least, this construction is creating more unnecessary work for the reader.

Typically, we don't want to treat pronoun ambiguity as a concrete error, as long as something can work as a referent, but because it's genuinely difficult to see what "they" is referring to, the usage is less than ideal. Maybe that's not 100% WRONG, exactly, but it certainly isn't as good as what we see in (B). (B) has no "it", and "they" is much closer to "nuclear plants."

Quote:

Interesting. This one's debatable. On one hand, I suppose you could argue that the electricity is more expensive because of the fixed costs. On other hand, the "stems from" is a little confusing, since that it seems to be referring to a noun -- one thing stems from another. Because "stemming" follows a clause and a comma, it should modify the entire previous clause, rather than a noun. Worse, there's no noun that could work here. The "electricity" doesn't stem from the fixed costs. So I wouldn't say it's definitively wrong, but it's not totally clear either.

Again, contrast that with (B), in which it's clear that it's the "fixed costs" stem from building nuclear power plants.

Better yet, notice that in (B), the comparison is clarified with prepositions: the cost of x is about the same as [the cost] for y. (D) doesn't have that first "of," and uses "costs" as a verb, so it isn't clear what we're comparing "for other types of plants" to.

All to say: the issues you're identifying in (D) aren't 100% wrong, but they're problematic enough that in a side-by-side comparison, (B) wins easily.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Send PM
I thought that option B distorts the meaning of the original sentence.

Options A says, it is expensive for nuclear plants to generate electricity (or the process of generating electricity is expensive), whereas Option B says, the electricity generated by Nuclear plants is expensive.

I understand that it is implicit that if it is expensive to generate electricity, the electricity produced will also be expensive but if someone can help clarify the meaning approach, that would be helpful.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
VishakhaBharti wrote:
I understand that it is implicit that if it is expensive to generate electricity, the electricity produced will also be expensive

Yep..you answered your own question Vishakha.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Generally, the usage of an infinitive -- to + VERB -- implies INTENT.

Official example 1:
a law passed in 1993 making it a crime for a United States citizen to hold gold
Here, the usage of to hold implies that a US citizen can INTEND to hold gold.

Official example 2:
New techniques have made it possible to study the effects of calefaction.
Here, the usage of to study implies that a person can INTEND to study the effects.

Official example 3:
Campaigns to eradicate the fire ant in the United States have failed, making it easier for the ant to spread.
Here, the usage of to eradicate implies that a person can INTEND to eradicate the fire ant, while the usage of to spread implies that an ant can INTEND to spread.

VishakhaBharti wrote:
I thought that option B distorts the meaning of the original sentence.

Options A says, it is expensive for nuclear plants to generate electricity (or the process of generating electricity is expensive), whereas Option B says, the electricity generated by Nuclear plants is expensive.

I understand that it is implicit that if it is expensive to generate electricity, the electricity produced will also be expensive but if someone can help clarify the meaning approach, that would be helpful.

A: It is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.
Here, the usage to generate implies that nuclear plants can INTEND to generate electricity.
This meaning is illogical.
A nuclear plant cannot have intent.
Implication:
The correct answer must alter the meaning to something logical.
OA: The fixed costs make the electricity more expensive.
Here, no intent is implied.
The result is a logical meaning.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
BCDE choices all have the phrase "the electricity they generate". Should it be "the electricity that they generate"? Can the antecedent relative pronoun "that" or "which" of an attributive clause in GMAT exam be omitted? Though it is very normal to omit "that" or "which" when they are objects of a clause in oral English, I thought they are required in GMAT. Please correct me if I am wrong.

NEED HELP FROM EXPERT!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
AcceleratorCC wrote:
BCDE choices all have the phrase "the electricity they generate". Should it be "the electricity that they generate"? Can the antecedent relative pronoun "that" or "which" of an attributive clause in GMAT exam be omitted? Though it is very normal to omit "that" or "which" when they are objects of a clause in oral English, I thought they are required in GMAT. Please correct me if I am wrong.

NEED HELP FROM EXPERT!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello, AcceleratorCC. Before I answer your question, I feel compelled to say that you might want to tone down the cry for assistance. Simply hitting the "request expert reply" button is enough for Experts to see that someone has a question. That said, you want to be careful using the word required when you think about SC. Yes, it is true that in the majority of SC sentences that may include that in the context you mentioned, you will see the word in question. But there are examples to illustrate the opposite. Consider a few from different editions of the official guide:

1) LINK ("household appliances [that] their grandparents...")

2) LINK ("retailer said [that] it...")

3) LINK ("thought [that] the insects...")

I will refrain from spoiling any questions from GMAT Prep, but there are other examples to be found. Just do not be too quick to build hard-and-fast rules when that house of cards could come crashing down in your next set of questions. If you are unsure about a particular consideration, look to some other issue to better inform your decision.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, AcceleratorCC. Before I answer your question, I feel compelled to say that you might want to tone down the cry for assistance. Simply hitting the "request expert reply" button is enough for Experts to see that someone has a question.

Thank you so much Andrew! I am really sorry for the cry for assistance. I am new to GMAT club and wasn't aware of the "request expert reply" button . I will keep that in mind and won't make the same mistake in the future.

Thanks again for your help.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
AcceleratorCC wrote:
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, AcceleratorCC. Before I answer your question, I feel compelled to say that you might want to tone down the cry for assistance. Simply hitting the "request expert reply" button is enough for Experts to see that someone has a question.

Thank you so much Andrew! I am really sorry for the cry for assistance. I am new to GMAT club and wasn't aware of the "request expert reply" button . I will keep that in mind and won't make the same mistake in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

No worries. I saw that it was your first post, but I did not want to be presumptuous, so I decided to mention the big red font in a more direct way. You can also mention particular Experts or members using the "Mention this user" button when you go to write a post.

Good question about SC, though. The more questions you examine, the more exceptions you are going to find to what you may have thought were ironclad rules (e.g., comma + "and" + phrase, or a list with no conjunction prefacing the last item). Just take note of any exceptions as you go and keep such knowledge in mind the next time you come across something similar. (One more bit of advice: Do not apply SC conventions to CR or RC sentences, or you will really start to confuse yourself.)

Again, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
macjas wrote:

(A) While it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity.

(B) While the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants, the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity they generate more expensive.

(C) Even though it costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, it is the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants that makes the electricity they generate more expensive.

(D) It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants, whereas the electricity they generate is more expensive, stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants.

(E) The cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants, but the electricity they generate is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Comparison + Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A pronoun can only have one referent in a sentence.
• A comparison must always be made between similar things.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "costs" with the singular verb "makes". Further, Option A incorrectly uses "it" as a placeholder pronoun in three contexts - "it costs about the same to run nuclear plants", "it is the fixed costs" and "makes it more expensive"; please remember, a pronoun can only have one referent in a sentence. Additionally, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase "makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "costs" with the plural verb "make". Further, Option B correctly compares "the cost of running nuclear plants" with "(the cost) for other types of power plants". Additionally, Option B avoids the pronoun errors seen in Options A and C, as it employs no pronouns. Besides, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "costs" with the singular verb "makes". Further, Option C incorrectly uses "it" as a placeholder pronoun in two contexts - "it costs about the same to run nuclear plants" and "it is the fixed costs"; please remember, a pronoun can only have one referent in a sentence.

D: This answer choice uses the needlessly indirect clause "It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares the "cost of running nuclear plants" to "other power plants"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option E uses the passive voice construction "made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

The comparison error is in A as well or is it in E only?
I think it's in A as well.
Can you please confirm. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
devil.rocx wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
macjas wrote:

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Comparison + Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A pronoun can only have one referent in a sentence.
• A comparison must always be made between similar things.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "costs" with the singular verb "makes". Further, Option A incorrectly uses "it" as a placeholder pronoun in three contexts - "it costs about the same to run nuclear plants", "it is the fixed costs" and "makes it more expensive"; please remember, a pronoun can only have one referent in a sentence. Additionally, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase "makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "costs" with the plural verb "make". Further, Option B correctly compares "the cost of running nuclear plants" with "(the cost) for other types of power plants". Additionally, Option B avoids the pronoun errors seen in Options A and C, as it employs no pronouns. Besides, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "costs" with the singular verb "makes". Further, Option C incorrectly uses "it" as a placeholder pronoun in two contexts - "it costs about the same to run nuclear plants" and "it is the fixed costs"; please remember, a pronoun can only have one referent in a sentence.

D: This answer choice uses the needlessly indirect clause "It costs about the same to run nuclear plants as for other types of power plants", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares the "cost of running nuclear plants" to "other power plants"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option E uses the passive voice construction "made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

The comparison error is in A as well or is it in E only?
I think it's in A as well.
Can you please confirm. Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device

Hello devil.rocx,

To answer your query, there is no comparison error in Option A; the answer choice correctly compares the actions "to run nuclear plants" and "(to run) other types of power plants"; remember, in comparison statements repeated verbs can be omitted for the sake of clarity.

We hope this helps.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Hm, there’s some weird pronoun stuff going on here. The first “it” is a non-referential pronoun: in the phrase “it costs”, “it” doesn’t refer to anything at all. It’s sort of like saying “it is raining” or “it is a bad idea to lick frozen doorknobs.” (I may or may not speak from experience on that last one.)

Non-referential pronouns can be fine, but you don’t see them very often in correct GMAT answers, so they make me nervous.

And of course, there are three of those non-referential pronouns in the sentence! Both “…it is the fixed costs…” and “makes it more expensive” have non-referential versions of “it.” I can’t call them DEFINITE errors, but I don’t love them, and I can’t imagine that a correct GMAT sentence would have THREE non-referential pronouns. Non-referential pronouns just aren’t that awesome, and there’s no good reason to overuse them.

I also see no reason to use “them” toward the end of the sentence: why say “makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity” when you could just shorten it to “makes it more expensive to generate electricity”? Wasted words aren’t cool.

And if you’re not convinced by any of that stuff, there’s a wonderfully serious mistake in (A). “…the fixed costs… makes it more expensive…” That’s a clear subject-verb error.

I’m tired of (A) now. Let’s eliminate it.

Quote:

I don’t see any major issues in (B). The pronoun “they” jumps out at me, and it seems to refer to the nearest plural, “nuclear plants.” And that works just fine: “the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity [nuclear plants] generate more expensive.” No problem.

The only other potential objection I see is the comparison at the beginning of the sentence, but… hang on, it’ll be easier to explain WHY that comparison is OK if we put it side-by-side with another answer choice.

So for now, let’s keep (B), and I’ll say more about the comparison at the end of this post.

Quote:

(C) has a few of the same problems we saw in (A). The subject-verb problem is the biggest issue: “the fixed costs… that makes” is definitely wrong.

We also have a couple of non-referential pronouns in the phrases “it costs about the same” and “it is the fixed costs…” These aren’t WRONG, exactly, but there’s no compelling reason to include them in the sentence unless they somehow clarify the meaning. For more detail, please see the explanation for (A).

But even if you’re OK with the funny non-referential pronouns, the subject-verb thing lets us eliminate (C).

Quote:

(D) is just plain old confusing. For starters, the pronoun “they” logically needs to refer to “nuclear power plants”, since we know from the context (“stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants”) that the nuclear plants generate more expensive electricity. But “they” is actually closer to “other types of power plants.” That’s confusing – and probably a good enough reason to eliminate (D).

Plus, I still don’t see any good reason to use a non-referential pronoun (“it costs…”) at the beginning of the sentence. See the explanation for (A) for more detail on this.

So (D) is out.

I promised that I’d come back to the comparison in (B), so here it is again, right next to (E):

Quote:

The comparison error at the beginning of (E) is pretty darned subtle: “the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants…” Wait, no. We’re trying to compare the COSTS of running the two types of plants, but (E) literally compares the costs of running nuclear plants to the other plants themselves. That doesn’t work.

The version in (B) (“the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants”) might not be perfect, but it’s definitely better: the use of the preposition makes it clear that we’re comparing the costs of running nuclear plants with the corresponding costs “for other types of plants.” Fair enough.

You could also argue that the second half of the sentence is clearer in (B) than in (E). (B) is in active voice and more direct: “the fixed costs… make the electricity… more expensive.” (E), on the other hand is passive: “the electricity… is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.” (E) isn’t necessarily WRONG in this section, but it’s definitely not as clear and direct as (B).

So (B) is our answer.

--
Hi GMATNinja,

Thanks for the explanation. I have one doubt about E though, in E as the 2nd sentence is formed by ",but" and can act as a independent clause does "they" at the start of the sentence refer to nuclear plants instead of nearest power plants (present in 1st sentence another independent clause) ?
Is that the reason for 2nd sentence in E to be correct?

Thanks in advance.
Send PM
Expert Reply
chrana wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Hm, there’s some weird pronoun stuff going on here. The first “it” is a non-referential pronoun: in the phrase “it costs”, “it” doesn’t refer to anything at all. It’s sort of like saying “it is raining” or “it is a bad idea to lick frozen doorknobs.” (I may or may not speak from experience on that last one.)

Non-referential pronouns can be fine, but you don’t see them very often in correct GMAT answers, so they make me nervous.

And of course, there are three of those non-referential pronouns in the sentence! Both “…it is the fixed costs…” and “makes it more expensive” have non-referential versions of “it.” I can’t call them DEFINITE errors, but I don’t love them, and I can’t imagine that a correct GMAT sentence would have THREE non-referential pronouns. Non-referential pronouns just aren’t that awesome, and there’s no good reason to overuse them.

I also see no reason to use “them” toward the end of the sentence: why say “makes it more expensive for them to generate electricity” when you could just shorten it to “makes it more expensive to generate electricity”? Wasted words aren’t cool.

And if you’re not convinced by any of that stuff, there’s a wonderfully serious mistake in (A). “…the fixed costs… makes it more expensive…” That’s a clear subject-verb error.

I’m tired of (A) now. Let’s eliminate it.

Quote:

I don’t see any major issues in (B). The pronoun “they” jumps out at me, and it seems to refer to the nearest plural, “nuclear plants.” And that works just fine: “the fixed costs that stem from building nuclear plants make the electricity [nuclear plants] generate more expensive.” No problem.

The only other potential objection I see is the comparison at the beginning of the sentence, but… hang on, it’ll be easier to explain WHY that comparison is OK if we put it side-by-side with another answer choice.

So for now, let’s keep (B), and I’ll say more about the comparison at the end of this post.

Quote:

(C) has a few of the same problems we saw in (A). The subject-verb problem is the biggest issue: “the fixed costs… that makes” is definitely wrong.

We also have a couple of non-referential pronouns in the phrases “it costs about the same” and “it is the fixed costs…” These aren’t WRONG, exactly, but there’s no compelling reason to include them in the sentence unless they somehow clarify the meaning. For more detail, please see the explanation for (A).

But even if you’re OK with the funny non-referential pronouns, the subject-verb thing lets us eliminate (C).

Quote:

(D) is just plain old confusing. For starters, the pronoun “they” logically needs to refer to “nuclear power plants”, since we know from the context (“stemming from the fixed costs of building nuclear plants”) that the nuclear plants generate more expensive electricity. But “they” is actually closer to “other types of power plants.” That’s confusing – and probably a good enough reason to eliminate (D).

Plus, I still don’t see any good reason to use a non-referential pronoun (“it costs…”) at the beginning of the sentence. See the explanation for (A) for more detail on this.

So (D) is out.

I promised that I’d come back to the comparison in (B), so here it is again, right next to (E):

Quote:

The comparison error at the beginning of (E) is pretty darned subtle: “the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as other types of power plants…” Wait, no. We’re trying to compare the COSTS of running the two types of plants, but (E) literally compares the costs of running nuclear plants to the other plants themselves. That doesn’t work.

The version in (B) (“the cost of running nuclear plants is about the same as for other types of power plants”) might not be perfect, but it’s definitely better: the use of the preposition makes it clear that we’re comparing the costs of running nuclear plants with the corresponding costs “for other types of plants.” Fair enough.

You could also argue that the second half of the sentence is clearer in (B) than in (E). (B) is in active voice and more direct: “the fixed costs… make the electricity… more expensive.” (E), on the other hand is passive: “the electricity… is made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants.” (E) isn’t necessarily WRONG in this section, but it’s definitely not as clear and direct as (B).

So (B) is our answer.

--
Hi GMATNinja,

Thanks for the explanation. I have one doubt about E though, in E as the 2nd sentence is formed by ",but" and can act as a independent clause does "they" at the start of the sentence refer to nuclear plants instead of nearest power plants (present in 1st sentence another independent clause) ?
Is that the reason for 2nd sentence in E to be correct?

Thanks in advance.

Hello chrana,

To answer your query, the error in Option E is actually that incorrectly compares the "cost of running nuclear plants" to "other power plants"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things.

Aside from this, Option E uses the passive voice construction "made more expensive because of the fixed costs stemming from building nuclear plants", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts