Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [2] , given: 12

While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:00) correct 52% (00:57) wrong based on 107 sessions
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical
threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the
back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.
(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: awkward ? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 04:15
Expert's post
Though unusual for using a double negative such as 'not unlike' to denote a positive factor “like”, A is the best of the choices as all others fault on various counts;
B and C are comparing courage to Rosa Parks
D, uses a gerund ‘for refusing’ and muddles up the meaning by not making clear who exactly did not move to the back of the bus, whether Jackie or Rosa
E uses as for comparing nouns

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: awkward ? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 23:25
its weird to see "not unlike", but I suppose you should treat it as it's opposite "like"...otherwise it sounds good.

My first choice was D...however, "for refusing" is awkward and "who refused" perfectly described Rosa Parks....so outside of the double negative A is correct
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 109

Re: awkward ? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 18:32
+1 A

In D, could we understand that the courage is refusing?
Where could I read more about this type of mistakes?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 8

Re: awkward ? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 19:35
whichscore wrote:
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical
threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the
back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.
(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused

Hi Daag,
I understand D is wrong coz it changes the meaning. In this sentence for refusing to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama is a prepositional phrase. Prep phrase can either act as adverbial modifier or adjectival modifier so In this sentence can't we assume that it modifies the subject Jackie Robinson rather than Rosa I dont understand why you think its ambiguous.
for e.g
Though the study is not large, with results that can be generalized, it provides a successful framework that could be used by other pharmacies to develop similar programs.

with results that can be generalized modifies the study. Am I missing sth... Please clarify
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: awkward ? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 02:08
Expert's post
IMO, an adjectival modifier that modifies a subject noun must be placed either before the noun it modifies and set off with commas or at least be closer than another potential contender. In D, as you may see, the prepositional phrase is far removed from the subject and more importantly tacked on to Rosa without being set off by a comma, implying that the refusal is an essential feature of Rosa Parks. Can therefore the prep. phrase go out of the way to modify the subject? I think a genuine modifier should be above such infringements

Quote:
Though the study is not large, with results that can be generalized, it provides a successful framework that could be used by other pharmacies to develop similar programs

The difference between this quote and the text is that, in the text, there are two contenders for the modifier while in the quote, there is only one study, which doesn’t give any room for ambiguity. To put things more explicitly, let me slightly alter the context of the content and see what happens

Quote:
Though the study is not as large as another study conducted by a rival firm with results that can be generalized, it provides a successful framework that could be used by other pharmacies to develop similar programs

Now with an intrusion by another study and with the prepositional modifier unset-off from the intruder, which is study is more eligible to be modified?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 167 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2013, 09:42